Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Typically obesity breeds children into obesity simply due to the kids growing up in a household where poor food choices and over eating are common place daily occurrences.

I think that's sad as well. I sometimes wander how these families can afford their food bills - which must be outrageous. Seriously ... think of 4-5 obese people ( mom dad couple kids ) all consuming 4000-5000-8000 calories of junk food on a daily basis. And typically junk food is kind of expensive. I guesstimate a monthly food bill equal to many peoples mortgage payment ( maybe $1500-2000 ) - That's like $20,000 dollars a year in after tax earnings to feed themselves ? How can they sustain that cost when likely most obese families are not 2 income wage earner families.

My family (mom, sisters and me) out of 6 people, 3 tend to be on the overweight side. the other three tended to be slim all their life.

My kids were slim all their life, they never had a weight problem. One thing I am glad of. I don't think I raised them with food as a big thing.. and I never forced them to finish their plate of food, nor stack their plate too much, I told them they didn't have to finish it. so that one sentence "Eat all your food, there are kids starving in india" was what my mom said to me, plus other things that could help make a person eat too much. When my kids went to their dad, they piled on too much food and the step mom forced them to finish.. but I guess it evened out. I am so glad that they escaped the family generational bad habits that some families pass on because each generation teaches the same eating habits that they do.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
My brother is morbidly obese. I know how he got there and why he doesn't lose the weight. I Love my brother but he will not make the sacrifices needed to lose the weight. He has so many weight related health issues that the quality of his life is miserable. He can barely fit in my car when I take him to his doctor appointments. But he eats what he wants, always has and he always will.

Now, I am not going to judge obese adults that I do not know, but when I see obese children I am going to get mad. Crappy life choices are fine for oneself, but saddling a child with a life long struggle with obesity is child abuse in my book. There are no excuses that will cut it.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My brother is morbidly obese. I know how he got there and why he doesn't lose the weight. I Love my brother but he will not make the sacrifices needed to lose the weight. He has so many weight related health issues that the quality of his life is miserable. He can barely fit in my car when I take him to his doctor appointments. But he eats what he wants, always has and he always will.

Now, I am not going to judge obese adults that I do not know, but when I see obese children I am going to get mad. Crappy life choices are fine for oneself, but saddling a child with a life long struggle with obesity is child abuse in my book. There are no excuses that will cut it.
I've been saying this for years.
People who allow their children to become hugely obese are no better than those who let kids drink and smoke underage.
They're saddling them with an early death and difficulties throughout their shortened life.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:51 AM

202 posts, read 128,832 times
It would seem that making poor lifestyle choices is taught to children by their parents, or at least by not having good lifestyle choices taught to them.

The statistics always tell us that a huge amount of morbidity is determined by peoples' lifestyle choices: diet, exercise, alcohol, smoking, drugs, and the list goes on and on. Pick how long you want to live and then make your lifestyle decisions based upon that.

A good start would be to pick diet and exercise, moderate in use of alcohol, and avoid tobacco and drugs. Just right there you have increased your life expectancy by I don't know how many years, but a lot.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:07 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
my mother's side of the family, people are mostly thin/average and short.
my father's side, mixed bag, and tall.

my children are both lean and tall. one is a very picky eater and the other is very active. thankfully they are off to a good start. from when they were young, I tried to give them a good start on life. I don't encourage them to eat when they are full, even if it means they only ate a fraction of the plate. too often well meaning people encourage kids to overeat, not realizing that their well intentions can set into motion the belief that you have to finish your plate or fill it up.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'll admit I wasn't in this topic from the beginning, and also admit I've read naught but the last few weeks. I sense that the topic was originally one of recriminations, but the topic I've seen and known over the last few weeks since I began my participation has been that it is a topic of information, of enthusiasm, a support topic for me where I have been encouraged to go pedal to the metal and eat less, exercise more. Upon reading what has been said here I know that I am assured of success as long as I keep on keeping on. My course has been set and I am going to reach my twin goals of physical fitness and attractive appearance to my gender opposites, by the use of my twin tools of a healthful diet combined with a deliberate program of physical fitness exercise at my gym.

Yes I know it is a losing battle, at your age, at my age, at any age. But it isn't about winning the battle at all. You can't win the war unless you win some battles, and even in losing the battles it matters that you fought. Winning the war to me is living the good life, in living a long life in good health. Of course I'm going to ultimately lose that war, we all do. The point is to extend the war as long as you can, because in life the point isn't winning the war at all. It's all about fighting the good battles. And all we have to do to accomplish that is make the right lifestyle choices that lead to good health, and to my mind good health and fitness is the most attractive physical attribute in those who I seek. I'm assured that as long as I fight the good battles I will find my gender opposite who thinks the same as I do, and in the end that's all I really want out of life. That and to enjoy it for as long as I am able.

Yet the formula is so simple! Just eat well and exercise well. You don't even have to do it all the time. Doing it most of the time is quite sufficient. It's a battle you can't lose unless you decline to even make the attempt. And even runners up take away some good from it all.
My post was really directed at the topic creator's random "observations".

If anything, it's nice that the "let's point and laugh at fat people" topic has turned into something more positive.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You're also gonna hate buffets and salad bars.. My daughter who worked as a server in a restaurant, said that people take the spoon that is in the food at the salad bar, and taste the salad dressing, and then put the spoon right back for you to help yourself to it. they also take a taste of the other food, and put the fork back into the food for the next person in line.

Also people do sneeze on the food even though they have the sneeze guard.
You appear to know me well!

It's been so many years since I've visited a salad bar that I can't even remember. I know I've done it but it could be a dozen years or more.

Too much trouble. Just bring me a side Caesar! Usually a few bucks when you order a dinner, and get to sit and chat with my friend(s) instead of getting up and standing in a line.

But you're right, it makes me gag to wonder what germs may be lurking at the salad bar.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

If anything, it's nice that the "let's point and laugh at fat people" topic has turned into something more positive.
I understand. And yes, much better to discuss how to get healthy and stay healthy than it would be to taunt people who make bad eating choices (and don't exercise).

I'm glad now I didn't bother reading the OP. I pity people who are in poor health particularly when their own poor habits put them there. It's good that we have been discussing how to change and develop good dietary and exercise habits.

It just feels so damned good to be in good health! I'm headed over to my gym as soon as my breakfast settles a bit more.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:25 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Perhaps you'd like to point out in my original post where I suggested we should laugh at fat people.
Far from it but we should also not feel sorry for them.
Obesity,like smoking,drinking and driving cars fast is a lifestyle choice that carries with it associated risks that can also impact others.
Obesity creates a huge strain on our health system and means other people who don't choose that lifestyle have to pay for it in higher health insurance premiums.
I'd have a fat and sugar tax with proceeds going into the health system and I'd make sure parents who allow their children to become super obese have the same possibility of having their children taken away from them that those who operate child cruelty also have.
And I'd make health,diet and exercise part of the education and exam cycle to actually teach our kids what they're stuffing into their mouths.
Far from being a laughing matter obesity is deadly serious.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'd have a fat and sugar tax with proceeds going into the health system and I'd make sure parents who allow their children to become super obese have the same possibility of having their children taken away from them that those who operate child cruelty also have.
I'd rather not have a nanny state where government uses the threat and force of taxes to mandate the behavior of a supposedly free citizenry.

I strongly favor governmental agencies mandated with educating the citizens, and as many PSA commercials or other programs intended to educate the public.

Having freedom of speech and expression also implies the freedom to burn our flag. Sad but ture... Having the freedom to eat what you want implies the freedom to destroy your health with junk food and destroy your body with no exercise.

Meanwhile, I just got back from the gym! I parked just 3 spaces from the entrance!

I continue to be amazed with the good spirits of my fellow exercise enthusiasts! If there were ever an argument there I'm sure it would be along the lines of, "You first!" "No, you go first!" And the strangest thing: people fall all over each other entering and exiting the gym, holding the door open for equally healthy other exercise enthusiasts! I think gym enthusiasts are more polite and thoughtful than the people I used to meet in church as a kid. (These days I'm a lapsed agnostic.)

I'm also wondering if an exercise program is a form of whole body masturbation. The body-gasms aren't as strong as sex but they last so much longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.