Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 04:15 PM

240 posts, read 586,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I don’t think it’s the food I think it’s those bucket seats in American cars
It looks just like their backside and they never walk anywhere
I have lived by the rule for many years that if it is less than a mile or a lot more than that if I have time there isn't a single reason other than laziness or disregard for weight or health in general to open the door of a vehicle. Unless of course your are bringing something home that you can't carry. Weights more than, say, 5 pounds. Crazy idea right?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I'm amused watching people jockey their cars for a spot close to the entrance to my gym. My car got hit in the gym parking lot once. Since then I've been parking in a distant part of the lot, and getting some exercise walking across the lot.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
I have lived by the rule for many years that if it is less than a mile or a lot more than that if I have time there isn't a single reason other than laziness or disregard for weight or health in general to open the door of a vehicle. Unless of course your are bringing something home that you can't carry. Weights more than, say, 5 pounds. Crazy idea right?
If you live in an area that's walkable in all kinds of weather and is safe.

In my climate you can't really walk anywhere in winter due to the possibility of slipping and falling on the ice. In summer, it's often over 90 and extremely humid. People are even warned to stay inside. Then there are all the suburban areas that don't even have anything within walking distance.

Back before we had sprawling suburbs that were car dependent, things were set up so that people could walk to them. A small neighborhood grocery store and a neighborhood hardware store, a drug store--walkable.

That's part of it. The people who lived way out in the country where there weren't any stores got their exercise by working outside so they weren't overweight either.

I think the biggest change has been in the food and second is our sedentary lifestyle. Often times it's a lifestyle that's been forced upon us. The food is still a choice though.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM

240 posts, read 586,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

In my climate you can't really walk anywhere in winter due to the possibility of slipping and falling on the ice. In summer, it's often over 90 and extremely humid. People are even warned to stay inside. Then there are all the suburban areas that don't even have anything within walking distance.

Back before we had sprawling suburbs that were car dependent, things were set up so that people could walk to them. A small neighborhood grocery store and a neighborhood hardware store, a drug store--walkable.

That's part of it. The people who lived way out in the country where there weren't any stores got their exercise by working outside so they weren't overweight either.

I think the biggest change has been in the food and second is our sedentary lifestyle. Often times it's a lifestyle that's been forced upon us. The food is still a choice though.
I guess you didn't understand. I said that is MY rule. It rarely gets colder than -30 degrees here or hotter than 100 degrees. In winter it means more clothes in the summer it means early morning or evening.
By the way I also have ice cleats for my boots in winter so I am plumb out of the phony excuses you presented to talk me out of not driving my vehicle. You go ahead and use those excuses though.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I'm with you. We don't have the cold, but I am walking nowhere when it's 86 degrees and 90% humidity. I get faint and start blacking out.

And no, it's not an excuse, I go to the gym a minimum of 5 hours a week.

We DID do a 6 mile bike ride this weekend, and it wasn't bad because it produced a breeze and there were many shady areas, so we will probably do more of that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm with you. We don't have the cold, but I am walking nowhere when it's 86 degrees and 90% humidity. I get faint and start blacking out.

And no, it's not an excuse, I go to the gym a minimum of 5 hours a week.
You rock Mikala! I think we do about the same gym time, I work out 3-4 times a week about 1:15 hours each. That's 4.375 hrs/week.

I did mine today, and I'm sad that it appears the shelf life of a workout is about 24-48 hours. I have a date Wednesday (and a long drive before) so I have to hit it again tomorrow because I can't on Wednesday.

Does anybody else feel like me that it's like pulling teeth to get me to the gym, but that after I do a mile on my treadmill I always enjoy the rest of my workout, to the degree that I often add reps or new exercises just because I'm having a good time! I feel the treadmill is good for my cardio, and the rest is for muscle building and calorie burning. (If I burn 'em my body can't stick 'em!)

I think alternate days is the best workout schedule.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Well I'm not walking in 100 degree Texas heat. Hell to the no.

If it's not in the blazing hot summer, I regularly walk a mile and a half from the gym.

Oh, and I don't do excuses. I'm fit and have walked lots of miles. I don't do extreme heat, screw that. That's what air conditioned gyms are for.

Last edited by riaelise; 09-10-2018 at 09:53 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You rock Mikala! I think we do about the same gym time, I work out 3-4 times a week about 1:15 hours each. That's 4.375 hrs/week.

I did mine today, and I'm sad that it appears the shelf life of a workout is about 24-48 hours. I have a date Wednesday (and a long drive before) so I have to hit it again tomorrow because I can't on Wednesday.

Does anybody else feel like me that it's like pulling teeth to get me to the gym, but that after I do a mile on my treadmill I always enjoy the rest of my workout, to the degree that I often add reps or new exercises just because I'm having a good time! I feel the treadmill is good for my cardio, and the rest is for muscle building and calorie burning. (If I burn 'em my body can't stick 'em!)

I think alternate days is the best workout schedule.
Yep, I've felt that way every day for over two years. For me, it takes about five minutes in to get into gym mode and then when I'm done I feel like a million bucks. Very very proud of myself.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't do extreme heat, screw that. That's what air conditioned gyms are for.
It's not good to combine exercise and heat. I'm hot enough when I get up to speed in my air conditioned gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yep, I've felt that way every day for over two years. For me, it takes about five minutes in to get into gym mode and then when I'm done I feel like a million bucks. Very very proud of myself.
My problem is getting my butt into the gym door and started walking on my treadmill. (That's usually my first station, 1 mile.) When I see the tread showing almost 20 minutes I know I'll have fun for the rest of my time. On good days I add sets and new machines, or bad days I may drop some reps. — I really like people watching at my gym too! Better than the mall!

The most important thing is to get regular exercise. It helps to have a plan. I feel guilt about a lot of things in life but at least I don't have to feel like I'm treating my body like a garbage can.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:54 AM

512 posts, read 321,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
[b]
3. Cops that are so fat they're unable to give chase to criminals. Seriously how can law enforcement people do their jobs properly when they're obese ?
[/i]
Soldiers, doctors, and cops that are obese are mind-boggling to me.
It is, in my opinion, a contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss