Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:20 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So,since getting into a relationship and starting a new job 2 years ago, I've noticed that I've gained several unwanted pounds. My pre-relationship and pre-employment weight, although not ideal, was closer to what it should be for my height and age.

My boyfriend and I have slipped into this comfort zone, and amongst other things, that includes eating foods that are of no benefit.

Concerning work, my schedule is crazy! I work days, overnights, or some combination of both during any given week. Things are very easy to manage when I work day shifts only. But because my circadian rhythm is off when I work overnights or combination shifts, when I'm hungry and am too exhausted to cook something healthy, I tend to eat take out a lot. Obviously, by nature, this food is usually not healthy. It doesn't help that there's no shortage of pizza, sweets, or some other unhealthy foods at work at any given point in time.

I'd like to shed these pounds, and keep them off for good. But, for the past few months, I've found myself struggling with what I eat.

I like carbs...a lot.

For those who are in a similar situation or have been in one in the past, would you please provide me with some helpful advice?

I'm just not sure how to approach things realistically.

I like vegetables but find myself getting bored eating the same things over and over again (eg broccoli, carrots, etc). I hate salads unless they are arugula-based.

I'd ideally love to cut carbs out entirely, but I know that realistically, this is not how I will eat every single day... Yet, I want to drop these extra pounds and become much healthier and fit.

My goal is to drop this weight, and have a better attitude about eating healthier foods...yet not to become bored or trapped by a specific diet pattern/plan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
The thing with reducing carbs is that it is difficult to get started. If you make a switch from a high carb to a lower carb diet there is a point where you will get uncomfortable (physically) for a week or so until your body is used to the switch. It is important that if you make the switch you give yourself time to adjust. It is easy to say "This made me feel bad so it's not for me."

One thing you can do is to gradually reduce the carbs you are eating. Try to remove sugar for one week. Then move on to white flour and rice for a week. Then all grains. Etc.....

I have no problem finding arugula in stores.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:26 AM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Pizza and sweets? Takeout? I bet it's fat, oil, and alcohol that's causing your weight gain, not the nebulous "carbs."

I like carbs a lot too. "Carbs" can mean an entire bag of Kettlechips or a plain baked potato. I've found success on a very high-carb diet (lost 35 lbs. since Jul 2014), but I don't eat chips, pizza, or any other junk food. I do eat a ton of rice, potatoes, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat bread, veggies, and beans. The only sugar I have is prob 1/4 teaspoon in my morning tea. For me, it's impossible to gain wait on this type of diet, and I'm never hungry.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean kellogg View Post
pizza and sweets? Takeout? I bet it's fat, oil, and alcohol that's causing your weight gain, not the nebulous "carbs."

i like carbs a lot too. "carbs" can mean an entire bag of kettlechips or a plain baked potato. I've found success on a very high-carb diet (lost 35 lbs. Since jul 2014), but i don't eat chips, pizza, or any other junk food. I do eat a ton of rice, potatoes, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat bread, veggies, and beans. The only sugar i have is prob 1/4 teaspoon in my morning tea. For me, it's impossible to gain wait on this type of diet, and i'm never hungry.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:43 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Pizza and sweets? Takeout? I bet it's fat, oil, and alcohol that's causing your weight gain, not the nebulous "carbs."

I like carbs a lot too. "Carbs" can mean an entire bag of Kettlechips or a plain baked potato. I've found success on a very high-carb diet (lost 35 lbs. since Jul 2014), but I don't eat chips, pizza, or any other junk food. I do eat a ton of rice, potatoes, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat bread, veggies, and beans. The only sugar I have is prob 1/4 teaspoon in my morning tea. For me, it's impossible to gain wait on this type of diet, and I'm never hungry.
Just to clarify or correct part of what you've stated, I do not drink alcohol. I'm just not a fan.

But it is the type of carbs that I am consuming that's likely the cause. This is why I am asking for HELPFUL advice.

If you do have any, I'd appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Just to clarify or correct part of what you've stated, I do not drink alcohol. I'm just not a fan.

But it is the type of carbs that I am consuming that's likely the cause. This is why I am asking for HELPFUL advice.

Here's my advice, based on my results:

Eliminate meat, dairy, and added oil in your diet. Eat all the starches you want -- potatoes, rice, corn, lentils, etc. I eat until full every meal and am literally never hungry. I have (generally speaking) steel-cut oats for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch, and salad/potatoes/steamed-veggies OR whole-wheat pasta and whole-wheat bread for dinner. I even throw in instant mashed potatoes for a snack sometimes. For salad dressing, I mix vinegar and regular mustard.

Sorry about the alcohol mistake -- I misread your post somehow and thought you said that. My fault.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:12 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
when I'm hungry and am too exhausted to cook something healthy, I tend to eat take out a lot. Obviously, by nature, this food is usually not healthy. It doesn't help that there's no shortage of pizza, sweets, or some other unhealthy foods at work at any given point in time.
It isn't the carbs that have made you gain weight. It is consuming too many calories. Reduce your caloric intake below the number of calories you burn and you will lose weight.

It is fashionable to blame carbs for weight gain, but in reality it is simply that you are consuming too much processed junk, and that junk tends to have a lot of calories in it. Yes, it also has a lot of refined carbs, which are bad, but your weight gain is due to eating too many calories.

My advice: You are carving carbs because you are waiting until you are very hungry. Your body knows that carbs are the quickest way to energy, which is why most people crave things like pizza or pasta when they are tired or have been working hard all day. It is no coincidence that there are often multiple pizza places near ski resorts. Instead, opt for something with fiber in it. Fiber will make you feel full longer. It can be something with carbohydrates, but make them whole-grain.

Cook more, order less. That is probably the best weight loss advice anyone can give.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:

Here's some helpful advice:

Stop consuming the type of carbs that you're consuming and make better choices.

Don't try to eliminate carbs. Your body needs fiber, and foods with carbohydrates in them will provide you with them. The person you're responding to here gave you sound advice by mentioning the baked potato as an example of a carbohydrate you should be eating. You can make one at work, in the microwave. In fact, most supermarkets now sell pre-washed, pre-wrapped, ready-to-nuke whole russet potatoes. You toss it in the microwave for 5 minutes. Take out of the oven, pull the plastic wrap off, and eat. Just the way it is. Skin and all. MAJOR nutrition, plus fiber, and carbs. An awesome source of vitamins, and cooked this way brings out its natural nutty-sweetness.

Learn to like other kinds of salads. My stand-by, which you can assemble at work, after cooking at home in a small sauce pan.

Saute some mushroom slices with half a minced shallot in a tablespoon of normal regular butter.
Cut a skinless boneless flat fillet of chicken breast into chunks, and toss that in the pan with the shrooms. Toss it all while the chicken cooks, add a pinch of salt and some cracked black pepper. Add the juice of a wedge of lemon OR a teaspoon of lemon juice from a bottle if you don't buy the fruit. Add a minced clove of garlic right before the chicken is properly cooked. Toss it all in the pan to mix it all together.

Cool that while you put together some romaine lettuce, a little kale, some baby spinach, maybe some fresh parsley and/or dill weed, any other greens you enjoy uncooked (or live a little and try it anyway).

Put the greens in a lunch container with some shaved (or grated) parmesan cheese. When the chicken is cooled off, put that in another, smaller container. Do NOT drain it first, just dump everything including the juice right into that container.

Bring those two containers with you to work. At lunch, open the chicken container, and nuke it for 75 seconds. Dump the container's contents over the salad greens container. Mix it good or shake it with the lid on, then eat.

You can prepare that chicken so you can eat it two days in a row - I wouldn't keep it longer than that so make just enough for a meal or two.

You can do the same thing with salmon or shrimp by the way. If you substitute the salt for a capful of cooking sherry and add some parsley you have an almost-traditional scampi, and you can add almost any protein to it and it'll taste delicious, served hot over salad (when the greens get warm they're called "wilted greens" and they charge extra for it at gourmet restaurants).

Unsweetened, unsalted natural peanutbutter in celery stalks is an awesome snack, high protein, high iron, filling, fiber, all good. I like the brand Teddie's but find whichever brand suits you.

For dessert: Four enormous strawberries sliced up in a small container with a tablespoon of hot maple syrup drizzled over it. You get your sugar, vitamin C, sweet and sour combo, low calorie, zero fat, and all delicious.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
I'm assuming you're in healthcare? That's a tough schedule, not easy to make the greatest choices when you're exhausted. Been there/done that. So, don't try to make choices on the run, plan ahead as you have time, plan for distributing your calories throughout the day and plan for those contingencies when you have an unexpected shift change. Put together snack packs that are high in nutrition rather than high in carbs, but don't go too low in carbs, especially when you need the energy. Just thought of one other thing, do you drink soda or high calorie drinks at work? Look at the label and focus on the portion size, many drinks are 2- 2 1/2 portions, those calories can really do some damage, water, water, water. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
I use protein powder to make smoothies. Two scoops of powder a cup of frozen unsweetened blueberries, and water. Sometimes I add plain yogurt. It makes a healthy meal replacement in less than 5 minutes. It tastes great, especially in warmer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss