Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times

Advertisements

Amid all my readings of this forum and another, and all the helpful information, I still have this obstacle in my way of losing weight. I always tell myself that if I go below my BMR, even ONE day, I am doomed! In my brain of brains, I know this is not really true.

Tell me that if my calories are supposed to be about 1400 per day, that if I go below that on some days, it will be ok, and probably even advantageous?

And, that exercise (along with staying at 1400 and below) will only get me to weight loss quicker vs. not exercising.

But, though, in my belief a calorie is a calorie, if I DO eat those naughty naughty carbs, I am really taking a step down the staircase of weight loss, because I'm chancing the fact that those naughty carbs will get sent to stores and even if I do exercise, my body will be burning those rather than the 40 lbs. of extra fat on my body!

This is all correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Tell me that if my calories are supposed to be about 1400 per day, that if I go below that on some days, it will be ok, and probably even advantageous?
You'll create a larger calorie deficit, which will help you lose weight faster obviously. The only down side is that there could be some hormonal issues (especially with you being a woman) that could start to kick in. Of course this is dependent on a lot of variables and things can be done to correct it, but still needing of consideration.

Quote:
And, that exercise (along with staying at 1400 and below) will only get me to weight loss quicker vs. not exercising.
Yes, although there is a point of diminishing returns eventually. If you run too large (and I mean extremely large) of a deficit, aerobic exercise actually hurts rather than helps.

Quote:
But, though, in my belief a calorie is a calorie, if I DO eat those naughty naughty carbs, I am really taking a step down the staircase of weight loss, because I'm chancing the fact that those naughty carbs will get sent to stores and even if I do exercise, my body will be burning those rather than the 40 lbs. of extra fat on my body!
Lots and lots of variables there.

You might consider reading some of Lyle's articles. He covers just about everything you could ever need to know about exercise and nutrition.

Fat loss | BodyRecomposition

Old 06-06-2015, 12:30 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
I'm not an expert but I don't think going below your BMR will be detrimental to weight loss. I've gone from 125 to 110 lbs and stayed there by routinely eating around 1000-1200 calories. I didn't attempt to stay under 1200, I just ate only when hungry and only until no longer hungry, rather than eating planned 'healthy' meals and full portions. That means my lunch could be a few crackers with hummus or dinner could be a small sandwich, it would satisfy the hunger and i would stop at that point. Maybe not the healthiest approach, because I'm probably not getting all the nutrients I should be, but it feels natural, easy, and I'm not depriving myself of anything I want - I eat carbs, sweets, full fat everything, just that everything is always in very small portions. In fact when I try eating larger more balanced meals, I end up feeling hungrier and eating worse that day overall. After not eating much for a while your stomach shrinks and you don't feel hungry, at least I don't.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
I've lost all my weight and am maintaining it without paying attention to BMR whatsoever. You can go a day without any food at all, so that is just an unreasonable fear of you. On the longer term you point of reference should be how you feel. Weight loss shouldn't be a real (physical) discomfort, so if you start to feel sick then eat more.

Mind you I did starve myself a bit sometimes when I was losing weight, but in hindsight I know this only sped up my weight loss. Now I know that having a balanced diet that makes me feel full and satisfied will get rid of my weight eventually. I still have to put this in practice from time to time because I drink a lot and that really adds to my weight despite having a weight losing diet in principle.

So in the first two accounts: going under your BMR and exercise can be benificial, but both are not necessary.

The third one, you have to remember that gaining weight is actually quite difficult. You have to eat a lot to gain one pound. So it's really the bad life styles as opposed to the occasional cheat day or something that will make you gain weight. In my case it's just simple drinking too much and I can see it happen in a matter of weeks and then I can see it go again in matter of other weeks when i cut down on it again, proving to me it works.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:05 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Lesson I've recently learned: If you heed too much of what you read, you can manage to information-overload yourself into never losing weight.

Case in point:

> Low-carb is the only way to lose weight.
> Low-fat is the only way to lose weight.
> Moderation, you must eat everything in moderation.
> Weight loss drugs don't work.
> Weight loss surgery does work.
> Don't fast.
> Do fast.
> Shakes! It's all about the protein shakes!
> Fast periodically.
> Cut out sugar.
> Don't cut out sugar, you must eat every food created in moderation.
> Exercise your fat away.
> Exercise alone won't help you lose fat.
> Then exercise even more to make your fat go away.
> Drink a ton of water.
> Don't use artificial sweeteners, they'll mess with your brain and you'll get fat.
> Eat Paleo, it's the way God created us.
> Don't eat Paleo, eat everything in moderation or you will fail in life.
> Don't cook your vegetables. Eat everything raw.
> Don't eat dairy. Humans weren't meant to eat milk after weening.
> Do eat dairy, you must eat everything in moderation or you'll go crazy and kill a vegetarian.
> Don't eat after 6:00 p.m.
> Eat only 3 meals a day
> Graze throughout the day eating often.
> Don't snack.
> Do snack to keep from getting hungry.
> Eat too little and you'll stop losing weight because your body goes into starvation mode.
> Eat too much and you won't lose weight.
> Eat an unlimited amount of fruits and vegetables. You can never ever ever gain weight on fruit.
> Don't eat gluten.
> Do eat whole grains.

Give me time and I could come up with about 100 more rules, all of which are available to assure no one ever loses weight or maintains a healthy diet.

Here's my point: I believe much of the challenge people face in weight loss is getting past the voices in our head that are trying to keep us exactly the way we are. After all, we didn't gain weight for no reason at all. We did because there was something about food and eating too much of it that satisfied a basic need in our lives. In some cases, the need is gone but the bad habit remains. In other cases, the need is still there, and you need to find a non-food answer for dealing with it or no weight loss regime is going to work long-term.

You're telling yourself that if you eat too little, you won't lose weight? That sounds like a form of internal sabotage to me. And here's why: If that were true, you would be losing weight and the theory would be working for you. Instead, it's giving you license to eat in a way that's preventing you from losing.

Always, when picking up some sort of diet rule, evaluate it with this basic question: "How's that working for you?"

Old 07-04-2015, 01:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Amid all my readings of this forum and another, and all the helpful information, I still have this obstacle in my way of losing weight. I always tell myself that if I go below my BMR, even ONE day, I am doomed! In my brain of brains, I know this is not really true.
It is ok to eat below your BMR every now and then. The only issue is that if you constantly eat below your BMR then your BMR may slow down so that you ALWAYS have to eat less.

Quote:
This is true but diet is more important than exercise when talking about weight loss.

Quote:

This is all correct?
If you load up on carbs your body will burn carbs before it burns body fat. The amount of carbs that is a problem for any one person is very variable. I don't believe that a calorie is a calorie.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is ok to eat below your BMR every now and then. The only issue is that if you constantly eat below your BMR then your BMR may slow down so that you ALWAYS have to eat less.
BMR is going to lower anyways with weight loss (though activity levels can elevate it) so that is something one just has to accept. It's not really a terrible thing, though.

Quote:
If you load up on carbs your body will burn carbs before it burns body fat. The amount of carbs that is a problem for any one person is very variable. I don't believe that a calorie is a calorie.
Calories are simply a measure of energy, so thus one cannot be different from another. You are correct though that your body will generally burn off carb/glycogen stores before bodyfat.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Calories are simply a measure of energy, so thus one cannot be different from another. You are correct though that your body will generally burn off carb/glycogen stores before bodyfat.
So Momma, you are saying that, if I have the option to order a burger (a modest one, of course) with bacon vs. a burger with fries, the better choice would be bacon, because if I pick fries, then my body has got the carbs from the bun AND the fries, and it's going to be spending its time burning those.

Whereas if I chose the bacon, then my body doesn't have to waste its time burning carbs and can go to what it's supposed to be doing, which is burning fat. - ?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
So Momma, you are saying that, if I have the option to order a burger (a modest one, of course) with bacon vs. a burger with fries, the better choice would be bacon, because if I pick fries, then my body has got the carbs from the bun AND the fries, and it's going to be spending its time burning those.

Whereas if I chose the bacon, then my body doesn't have to waste its time burning carbs and can go to what it's supposed to be doing, which is burning fat. - ?
There could be a lot of variables there but yes, if you consume carbs and fat in the same meal your body will burn the carbs off first.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
Smile Readiness for change and lifestyle behaviors

LoriBee62 - I love your response. You are right on - we get too consumed with information overload and then start worrying about every little thing.

I would start w/assessing what stage you are in for your readiness to make a successful change.

Next, i would evaluate the well-being components (social, community, physical, financial, career and spiritual) and how any of these areas in your lifestyle might be contributing to your weight issues.

If you can take a holistic perspective and take baby steps to create balance in your life your weight will get to a healthy point and most important you will sustain that healthy weight and it will be a natural part of your lifestyle - (no more stressing over every little rule all the time as LoreBee62 points out).

I wish you all the best on your journey --- it has taken me many years to get to this understanding of lifestyle behaviors and behavior change and how it all plays into sustainable weight-loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Lesson I've recently learned: If you heed too much of what you read, you can manage to information-overload yourself into never losing weight.

Case in point:

> Low-carb is the only way to lose weight.
> Low-fat is the only way to lose weight.
> Moderation, you must eat everything in moderation.
> Weight loss drugs don't work.
> Weight loss surgery does work.
> Don't fast.
> Do fast.
> Shakes! It's all about the protein shakes!
> Fast periodically.
> Cut out sugar.
> Don't cut out sugar, you must eat every food created in moderation.
> Exercise your fat away.
> Exercise alone won't help you lose fat.
> Then exercise even more to make your fat go away.
> Drink a ton of water.
> Don't use artificial sweeteners, they'll mess with your brain and you'll get fat.
> Eat Paleo, it's the way God created us.
> Don't eat Paleo, eat everything in moderation or you will fail in life.
> Don't cook your vegetables. Eat everything raw.
> Don't eat dairy. Humans weren't meant to eat milk after weening.
> Do eat dairy, you must eat everything in moderation or you'll go crazy and kill a vegetarian.
> Don't eat after 6:00 p.m.
> Eat only 3 meals a day
> Graze throughout the day eating often.
> Don't snack.
> Do snack to keep from getting hungry.
> Eat too little and you'll stop losing weight because your body goes into starvation mode.
> Eat too much and you won't lose weight.
> Eat an unlimited amount of fruits and vegetables. You can never ever ever gain weight on fruit.
> Don't eat gluten.
> Do eat whole grains.

Give me time and I could come up with about 100 more rules, all of which are available to assure no one ever loses weight or maintains a healthy diet.

Here's my point: I believe much of the challenge people face in weight loss is getting past the voices in our head that are trying to keep us exactly the way we are. After all, we didn't gain weight for no reason at all. We did because there was something about food and eating too much of it that satisfied a basic need in our lives. In some cases, the need is gone but the bad habit remains. In other cases, the need is still there, and you need to find a non-food answer for dealing with it or no weight loss regime is going to work long-term.

You're telling yourself that if you eat too little, you won't lose weight? That sounds like a form of internal sabotage to me. And here's why: If that were true, you would be losing weight and the theory would be working for you. Instead, it's giving you license to eat in a way that's preventing you from losing.

Always, when picking up some sort of diet rule, evaluate it with this basic question: "How's that working for you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss