Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:23 PM

586 posts, read 831,024 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I havent been on here. Yea, I've pretty much changed my eating habits and lost some weight, but the metformin is making me feel sick. I dont know if I should tell my doctor or wait til my appointment in 11 days. There have been several mornings where I woke up and could barely get out of bed. I was light headed, dizzy, and felt like I was going to pass out. During those times, my blood sugar was below 60, like 55 and 59. I think my blood sugar is getting too low and thats what my doctor was worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 07:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Sorry, I havent been on here. Yea, I've pretty much changed my eating habits and lost some weight, but the metformin is making me feel sick. I dont know if I should tell my doctor or wait til my appointment in 11 days. There have been several mornings where I woke up and could barely get out of bed. I was light headed, dizzy, and felt like I was going to pass out. During those times, my blood sugar was below 60, like 55 and 59. I think my blood sugar is getting too low and thats what my doctor was worried about.
Sounds like you need to call your doctor's office. You say he had already expressed worry about your blood sugar levels, and you've made lots of changes to your eating habits, and you're on a new med, and you're feeling sick and your blood sugar has made those changes that your doctor said would trigger a concern on his part.

So call the doctor, and let him decide if you should come in sooner rather than at the appointed time.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Call the doctor.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:18 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1122 View Post
Your link didn't work. What about eating a healthy diet is quack medicine?

MOST people are not going to be able to maintain that diet for very long.....then they are back to square-1.

Might as well find something you can stick with, a diet that satisfies you both nutritionally and psychologically..........tofu and wheat-bleechies, yuck!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
I had labs drawn last Friday and they came back as high. I had the A1c test, and the result was 6.4. I know, I know its very, very close to the cut off of officially having diabetes (6.5 and up), but still technically, I am still in the gray area (pre diabetes is from 5.7 - 6.4). So what my doctor said was "the cut off for a normal a1c is 5.7, and yours is 6.4, so you have diabetes". He immediately put me on metformin, 2 tabs a day (1000 mg), and wants me to monitor my glucose for the next 10 days. He said if I lose 10% of my body weight, chances are my blood sugar will elevate itself and he could take me off the meds. This is a wake up call for me, and I am trying my best to exercise and diet but pretty bummed that he categorized me as a diabetic. I mean I am only 25, if my sugar does get better, and at some point I lose a significant amount of weight, would I still consider myself as a diabetic?

He gave me a glucometer at the visit this morning and I was so anxious to test as soon as I got out the car. My fasting glucose level was 106. Not the greatest, but upon further research, that would not put me in the diabetic range (although very close, since morning bs cut off is 110 for non diabetics). So based on my research, I am pre diabetic, but based on doc I am a diabetic (again, his cutoff is 5.7 - he's going by the "normal" range). So, what am I? In the future, when I fill out health questionares, do I check box "diabetes" in my health history form?
You are young, and you have been given the gift of an early diagnosis. You might very well correct this by only modifying your diet. I know several people who have reversed their diabetes by losing weight. Don't take this lightly.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:27 PM

He cut me dosage to 500 mg (1 pill) instead of 1000 mg. I feel so much better. Labs will be drawn in 2.5 months and if my A1c is less than 5.7 by then, he will take me completely off the meds, and if I do well without the meds (while still monitoring my bs) he thinks I can control via diet and exorcise alone.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
That is good news. I'm happy for you!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
That is good news. I'm happy for you!
Thanks! With the way I am eating, I dont think anything could go wrong.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
He cut me dosage to 500 mg (1 pill) instead of 1000 mg. I feel so much better. Labs will be drawn in 2.5 months and if my A1c is less than 5.7 by then, he will take me completely off the meds, and if I do well without the meds (while still monitoring my bs) he thinks I can control via diet and exorcise alone.
That's GREAT news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss