Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
My friends is a size 10, 5'5 and 145 and she looks fine. Not heavy at all. I wish I was that size (I'm a 14 right now) but then I see celebs who are considered heavy who say they are a size 8? They look bigger than an 8....
Examples?

Never ever ever ever go by the number that is sewn onto a piece of clothing. It means NOTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:29 PM

396 posts, read 512,830 times
Clothes are sized differently too. This is a generalization but I have found that better garments run bigger than cheaper clothing. I might wear a 6 in J. Crew (as an example) where I'd buy an 8 or a 10 for a similar garment at Target. Even jeans...I could take 4 pairs of Levi's off the shelf in any department store and 2 might run a little large, 2 a little small. It's how mass produced garments are stacked and cut, things are rarely perfect. That said, I read somewhere that the average American female is size 12 and within that size 12 are a wide range of body shapes, sizes and bone structure. Some 12s may appear "chubby", others, not so much.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
It's the height and size. I was a size 10 and under 5 feet, and I was fat. Now I'm down to a 6 where I'm not too fat or skinny. Goal is a size 2 again, which is a perfect size for my height. If I maintained a healthy and fit weight, I would be a size zero or size 2. Size zeros and 2's get body shaming too, but some of us can't help it because we were born small.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I remember being delighted when I dropped down to a 10 and then ecstatic when I reached an 8, but in truth, for me both are still chubby. Now I'm a 6 and can wear some 4's but I still have a little too much meat on my bones--mainly a pot belly that will probably never go away. Also, I was under the impression that I had a medium bone structure, but I'm beginning to think it's small and I'm finally beginning to see a few bones lol. No ribs though.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
5'4" and in the 140s, my sister wears a 6-8 and she is chunky. But she is also very small on top. I would not call her heavy but once she's over 145, her BMI would be over 25+. Someone who is barely 5' and a size 10 would, more likely than not, be overweight whereas someone who is almost 6' wouldn't be.

I'm almost 5'10" and even though I'm not small framed, I usually wear a size 4 ever since I lost weight. However, at my height and with my frame, I never looked heavy when I was 8-10. But I do put weight right in the love handles first so it definitely starts to show with pants!

Before I lost weight, I never thought in a million years I would wear a size four because my bones stick out all over and I'm not small framed. I would never have a 24" waist though---I don't even have an ounce of fat there but it just will not physically get any smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss