Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

Having more of the wrong bacteria in the intestines causes most people's.
I had a live blood cell done years ago...the doc said (looking at my blood projected on a screen)..."See this...that's bacteria...know
where it's coming from ...your gut."
He told me what to do and in TWO weeks....for me, literally....I had 2 beers, a full Mexican plate
of food with
a side bowl of Black bean soup!...and my tummy was as flat as a Cowboy's Cheerleader.

(previously if I had a bite of toast in the morn I began to bloat...had to wear elastic pants! Sound familiar? Haha.)

People here make fun of natural remedies, but this is what he told me to do...
AND I have told 4 other women over the years and they said exactly on the 20th day ...they were cured...
you have to stick with it. I say ''do this for 3 weeks'' always.

1 cup a day, half morn/half at night of liquid acidophilus (or more)
A dropper of echinachea 2 xs a day
1000 mg Vit C thoughout the day, break it up
800 IU Vit E
No sugar
NO coffee, very imp for 3 weeks only
A 1/4 tsp in 1/2 cup-1 cup of hot water Alta Health Products-- 'CanGest'

Amazon.com: Alta Health Can-Gest Powder, 4 Ounce: Health & Personal Care

SOoooo worth the $18...will last a lifetime...any indigestion, suspected food poisoning,
going out to a huge Buffet?...
Drink a half cup dissolved with 1/4 tsp....you will be cured of any digestive issue...
like MIRACLE herbs as Dr. Oz would say, haha.

Do other things...if they don't work...this will...tried and true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The study I saw was from 2008, so new data might have emerged since then. But it indicated a link (not cause, but strong correlation that indicates a strong possibility of trigger) between regular consumption of diet sodas with obesity and kidney disease. The summary opinion was that diet soda can *contribute* to both bloat and kidney disease, even though it is not a singular cause. The study compared with non-diet sodas, it wasn't double-blind because the consumer can usually tell by taste if something is diet or not. So it was definitely a subjective study. The results were still pretty significant, even if you take the subjectivity into consideration. It studied 10,000 people by the way - so it was a statistically significant test size.
This study was just about the long term effect of artificial sweeteners which they concluded were none.
I do not think this study took into account obesity or kidney and bloating problems.
The point was sugar is just about the single worst thing a person can overdo.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Don't sway me, Lucky! Lol! I'm tryin' to give the stuff up! I will try it for like a week or so and see how I feel and if I get into my jeans!
I hear ya. I have a nasty on again / off again addiction to Diet Coke.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you're drinking a lot of carbonated beverages, you could be showing some bloat. Also keep an eye on your sodium levels. Not just added salt, but sodium in foods and drinks.

Diet soda is pretty nasty stuff, in general. You'd be better off drinking soda with actual sugar, or even corn syrup, than diet sodas. Diet sodas contain mold inhibitors, and the artificial sweeteners combined with the carbonation and artificial flavoring and coloring - all mixed up together - can contribute to belly fat and kidney problems.

Do yourself a huge favor and ditch the diet soda completely. If you replace it with mostly water, and treat yourself to a real actual regular soda once a day if you REALLY need it - you might lose the bloat.
I agree that artificial sweeteners are nasty but are you really suggesting that people who want to lose weight drink soda, with sugar, EVERY DAY?

To the OP: Lose the soda.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree that artificial sweeteners are nasty but are you really suggesting that people who want to lose weight drink soda, with sugar, EVERY DAY?

To the OP: Lose the soda.
No, I'm not suggesting it, really or pretend.

This is another one of those if/then things. Math, I can't stay away from it. Here it is again:

IF
you insist on drinking soda every day

THEN
you are better off a soda containing real sugar rather than artificial sweetener.

Of course, for those who never learned about if/then statements, they might not know the other part of the equation, which I didn't think I needed to spell out:

IF
you are able to refrain from drinking soda,
THEN
you should refrain from drinking soda
AND THEN
whether or not soda has sugar in it will be a moot point

Old 08-14-2015, 01:30 PM

164 posts, read 160,072 times
Try a parasite cleanse if all else fails. Some herbal preparations are really simple, take capsules twice a day for a fortnight or two. (Just be within running distance of a toilet when you're on a cleanse). Everyone has parasites, from liver flukes to intestinal worms, and getting rid of them improves your energy, reduces cravings for sugar in addition to helping with bloat and other symptoms.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:59 AM

Cleanses are not necessary as they are not cleansing anything except your wallet.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Cleanses are not necessary as they are not cleansing anything except your wallet.
You're confusing cleansing in the sense of "detoxing" with "parasite cleansing". Two different things.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
You're confusing cleansing in the sense of "detoxing" with "parasite cleansing". Two different things.
My comment still stands. Can you provide us with some peer reviewed MEDICAL evidence from accredited sources that one would actually need such a cleanse?

http://www.health.harvard.edu/family...ctice-of-detox

The dubious practice of detox

The Family Health Guide

The dubious practice of detox

A growing number of infomercials, Web sites, and print articles are urging us to eliminate the systemic buildup of toxins that supposedly results from imprudent habits or exposure to hazardous substances in the environment. Such toxins, we’re told, will sap our vitality and threaten our health.

This message isn’t new. For thousands of years, human beings have been trying to rid their bodies of perceived toxins. Today’s renewed interest in self-administered detoxification reflects concern about a variety of things, such as emerging pathogens, lead in toys, mercury in fish, etc. But do detox practices really offer benefits?

What is detox?

Before it was co-opted in the recent craze, the word “detox” referred chiefly to a medical procedure that rids the body of dangerous, often life-threatening, levels of alcohol, drugs, or poisons.

The detox programs now being promoted are largely do-it-yourself procedures aimed at eliminating alleged toxins that are held responsible for a variety of symptoms, including headache, bloating, joint pain, fatigue, and depression. Detox products are not available by prescription; they are sold in retail stores, at spas, over the Internet, and by direct mail. Here is a review of a few of the most widely promoted procedures and products.

Nasal irrigation

Also known as Jala Neti or nasal lavage, this yoga-derived technique involves the use of a small pitcher (neti pot) or syringe to stream a saline solution into first one nostril, then the other. The solution passes through the nasal passage and out the other nostril or the mouth.

Purpose. Clinicians sometimes recommend nasal irrigation to rid the nose of environmental irritants, alleviate post-nasal drip, and reduce congestion from colds and allergies by flushing mucus, foreign particles, bacteria, and viruses out of the sinuses.

Evidence of effectiveness. In a handful of studies, nasal lavage has been shown to lower bacterial concentrations in nasal passages.

Risks. Fluid buildup in the sinuses.

Cost. Syringes and pitchers range from $4 to $300.

Detox diets

A seemingly infinite array of products and diets is available for detoxifying the entire body. One of the most popular is the Master Cleanse diet. Dieters take a quart of warm salt water in the morning; consume a 60-ounce concoction of water, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper throughout the day; and finish with a cup of laxative tea in the evening. Proponents of the Master Cleanse diet recommend adhering to it for at least 10 days.

Purpose. To restore energy, lose weight, and relieve symptoms of chronic conditions like arthritis and fibromyalgia.

Evidence of effectiveness. There are no data on this particular diet in the medical literature. But many studies have shown that fasts and extremely low-calorie diets invariably lower the body’s basal metabolic rate as it struggles to conserve energy. Once the dieter resumes normal eating, rapid weight gain follows.

Risks. The diet is lacking in protein, fatty acids, and other essential nutrients. The daily laxative regimen can cause dehydration, deplete electrolytes, and impair normal bowel function.

Cost. The price of the book and a handful of food items.

Intestinal cleansing

Numerous kits are marketed for this purpose, most of which include a high-fiber supplement, a “support” supplement containing herbs or enzymes, and a laxative tea, each to be used daily. Manufacturers of the herbal detox kits recommend continuing the regimen for several weeks.

Purpose. The aim is to eradicate parasites and expel fecal matter that allegedly accumulates and adheres to the intestinal walls.

Evidence of effectiveness. Several studies suggest that milk thistle, which is often included as a supportive supplement, may improve liver function with few side effects. But there’s no medical evidence for the cleansing procedure as a whole.

Risks. Like fasting, colonic cleansing carries a risk of dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, impaired bowel function, and disruption of intestinal flora.

Cost. A month’s supply of the supplements and laxatives sold on most Web sites is $20 to $70. The manufacturers recommend continuing the procedure for two to three months.

The body’s own detox system

We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys’ remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

The bottom line

The human body can defend itself very well against most environmental insults and the effects of occasional indulgence. If you’re generally healthy, concentrate on giving your body what it needs to maintain its robust self-cleaning system — a healthful diet, adequate fluid intake, regular exercise, sufficient sleep, and all recommended medical check-ups.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 PM

Please don't cut paste entire articles.

In vitro and in vivo (multi-species) evidence of the efficacy of some of the ingredients used in herbal anti-parasitic preparations.

Artemisinins: pharmacological actions beyond anti-malarial. - PubMed - NCBI
Effectiveness of dried Carica papaya seeds against human intestinal parasitosis: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI
Antiparasitic efficiency of Artemisia absinthium on Toxocara cati in naturally infected cats. - PubMed - NCBI
Anthelmintic activity of extracts of Artemisia absinthium against ovine nematodes. - PubMed - NCBI
In vitro evidence that the pastoral Artemisia campestris species exerts an anthelmintic effect on Haemonchus contortus from sheep. - PubMed - NCBI
Anthelmintic efficacy of pumpkin seed (Cucurbita pepo Linnaeus, 1753) on ostrich gastrointestinal nematodes in a semiarid region of Paraíba State, Brazil. - PubMed - NCBI
In vitro effect of some Egyptian herbal extracts against Blastocystis hominis.- PubMed- NCBI
Efficacy of a herbal product against Histomonas meleagridis after experimental infection of turkey poults. - PubMed - NCBI
Activity of Thymus capitellatus volatile extract, 1,8-cineole and borneol against Leishmania species. - PubMed - NCBI
Thymus capitatus from Tunisian arid zone: chemical composition and in vitro anthelmintic effects on Haemonchus contortus. - PubMed - NCBI
Cytotoxicity Induced by Bismuth Subcitrate in Giardia lamblia Trophozoites. - PubMed - NCBI
Synthesis and characterization of bismuth(III) and antimony(V) porphyrins: high antileishmanial activity against antimony-resistant parasite. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited by Points of Convergence; 08-15-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss