Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,004,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
By my quick calculations, it's about 2800 cal/daily.
You can't possibly know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
If you went down to 1600 cal/day, you would start losing 1.5 lbs/wk. and could reach 115 lbs. by Feb. 2017. (I just guessed 115 as a good weight for you.) This means you have to religiously count or guess-timate the calories of everything you eat or drink, including the little spoonful of creamer for coffee or a pat of butter....these are all fatty calories that add up. If you stick to it and don't go over 1600 (which is not starvation, BTW), you WILL lose.
The OP is following a low carb diet. She doesn't have to worry about fat calories although total calories still matter. Most people who follow a low carb diet naturally limit their caloric intake because their appetite decreases. I always recommend that for the first 2-3 weeks on a low carb diet people don't count calories. If the person doesn't lose weight then they need to count calories in addition to carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Thanks momma_bear, I always enjoy getting advice from you. Its very straight forward and filled with so much positivity. Yea, I limit a lot of my carbs now and mostly eat proteins, fruit (although not too much either due to sugar), and veggies, and drinking plain water. Its really paying off, but I still have a long road ahead of me.

I couldnt believe how much I lost because I have always been struggling to go below the 230 range. I am 224 now (its been over a year since I last saw that number) and when I first started I was around 234. I kept rechecking my weight multiple times to make sure my eyes werent playing tricks on me. I even had my husband come in and hop on the scale to make sure the scale wasnt crazy
You will lose if you limit carbs. You have to experiment and see what works for you. I can't really eat any fruit and still lose weight but I am MUCH older than you (50 next month).

Since you lost 10 lb please reward yourself with something other than food. Maybe a pretty top (with sleeves so you feel better about yourself) or a pair of pants. I bet you lost a dress size if you lost 10 lb.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,133,695 times
Quote:
No, I was being sarcastic. We already had a talk last night and he already said he was unaware of the effect he put on me through his words and he's gonna give me back my space to do my own thing. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go on with my journey. We have 2 kids together and he's a good dad to them, if it really is unintentional like he insist then I think I can forget about it and see how he behaves going forward.

I'm not really trying to seek positive encouragement, being fat is nothing to pat myself on the back about. I have tried everything in the past - through my husband's hard earned money of course. Hired a personal trainer for half a year (I lost 5 lbs but gained it back), even my personal trainer gave up and said straight to my face "I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do for you anymore. I've shown you all the tricks and its UP TO YOU to help yourself, because to sweat so hard only to gain it back...you make yourself look bad and me look bad as your personal trainer" Tried diets, and could never stick to one, went to the doctor had labs done everything came back normal. The primary doctor checked my A1c and it was elevated but not enough to consider diabetic. My gyn doctor gave me an exam and did another A1c test for me again, and this time it came back normal, so I dont even know what the deal is anymore, doctor gave me advice, sent me to a nutritionist, but for the most part nothing is hindering me from losing weight, it is me who is hindering myself. I am not motivated enough. I am not a couch potato since I have to take care of 2 small kids, but just that alone is not enough.

When we first got married, my husband spent money to try everything on the market when I couldnt do it the natural way. In the end, everyone just gave up and shook their head in exasperation, but now 5 years later, and 30 lbs heavier, my husband realized that if he doesnt step in I'm going to be like this for another 10 years or for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I need to change the way others look at me, because I know that I am the typical image of a slacker, and how I look at myself.
You can spend all the money you want in personal trainers and what not - it all comes down to changing your eating habits. No matter how much you work out, it will not make much of a difference if you go home then and eat the way you ate the last 30 years.

There is no easy way, sorry. You have to do what everybody else does to lose weight - stay on track, discipline, change your lifestyle, stick to it. No pain, no gain. There is no magic pill or formula - you have to eat LESS and RIGHT.

Don't waste your money on more diet plans. It is simple - everything that tastes sweet is sugary or fatty. Everything fried is bad. Soda is bad. Bread, chips, sweets = bad. Use common sense. Don't starve yourself. Eat fruits, veggies, google healthy recipes, make healthy smoothies, ... cook together with your husband, enjoy eating healthy stuff and DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM

586 posts, read 838,730 times
[quote=Momma_bear;40964761]You will lose if you limit carbs. You have to experiment and see what works for you. I can't really eat any fruit and still lose weight but I am MUCH older than you (50 next month).

Since you lost 10 lb please reward yourself with something other than food. Maybe a pretty top (with sleeves so you feel better about yourself) or a pair of pants. I bet you lost a dress size if you lost 10 lb.[/QUOTE

Thanks! I am definitely doing something right, and I am glad I am sticking to it going on week 3 (currently 2.5 weeks in). The lbs just keep dropping naturally and it feels A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I realized at this point, I dont ever want to go back and just want to keep on losing since I am on a roll. Before, it used to be a vicious cycle. I would lose 2-3 lbs, have a craving, indulge in bad food and realize that I gained all those lbs back on, and usually when that happens I would be like "whatever" and just throw the scale to the side and go on with my bad eating habits. I've been in the 230 range for a awhile time (possibly half a year). Even before I hit 230, I was still consistently weighing 228. Thats why everyone noticed I was so big.

I know that I have been putting a negative image on my husband for calling him out, but he did have some credit in helping me with my transformation. He did a research on brown rice vs. white rice the entire night for me, and in the morning told me why I should opted for whole grain rice instead, if I wanted to eat rice at all. White rice contains 0 fiber whereas whole grain (brown rice) does. He found a brand that contained 4 grams of fiber in 1/4 cup and with almost half the amount of carbs in white rice. He knows I was a white rice addict so didnt even bother trying to tell me not to eat rice at all and going cold turkey, instead he found me a healthier substitute.

That day, I cooked brown rice for the very first time, it didnt smell as good as white rice, and the texture was dry and wasnt as chewy as the white rice, but after a few times of eating it, I got used to it.

Funny thing is, after I changed my diet, I didnt even crave rice as much as I thought I would. I cooked a few cups a about a week ago and its still almost full sitting in my rice cooker.

I used to hate grapefruit because of the sourness, but my husband said I should try it since it helps burn fat and I did. Now I eat 1.5 a day, at first with salt to help take away the bitterness and sourness, but now I eat it plain. I also drink green tea 2x a day.

I have been so excited that now I am beginning to do the "preaching" on how awesome low carb is. My mom is struggling, she's always been a bad eater and just like me, a rice addict and its gotta be white rice. I told her to at least switch to brown rice at least its baby steps and she found the idea intriguing but have a hard time sticking to it because like me she cooks for the family and cant fight back the temptation. It takes a lot of effort the first week. I was like hell for me not getting to eat what I am so used to, but I found that if I stick to it, I am practically used to this now and dont crave sweets at all. Not even fruit.

I weigh myself everyday just to make sure I am doing things right and up to date (drum roll) I have lost 11 lbs. My highest was 234 when I started and I am now 223, I even weigh less than when I got pregnant with my second son in December of 2013.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM

29,807 posts, read 34,675,627 times
Quote:
I know that I have been putting a negative image on my husband for calling him out, but he did have some credit in helping me with my transformation. He did a research on brown rice vs. white rice the entire night for me, and in the morning told me why I should opted for whole grain rice instead, if I wanted to eat rice at all. White rice contains 0 fiber whereas whole grain (brown rice) does. He found a brand that contained 4 grams of fiber in 1/4 cup and with almost half the amount of carbs in white rice. He knows I was a white rice addict so didnt even bother trying to tell me not to eat rice at all and going cold turkey, instead he found me a healthier substitute.
Is your entire family eating healthier, or is it just you? It might help you (at least as you get yourself on track) to cook one meal that everyone eats, rather than you eating your food and everyone else is chowing down on things that you don't eat anymore. The whole family should be healthy, right?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:29 PM

the main dish is what we all eat since its mostly protein and veggies, but they get to eat the full amount of allotted carbs whereas I have to highly restrict my carbs intake. Thats where their difference lies is the carbs intake. Also, some of the foods my husband wants to eat (like soup based) needs to be eaten with noodles (we're asian so naturally most of our food is served with noodles or rice) so thats where I cook my own meal so I dont have to eat the noodles. My husband asks for that "special" meal, once a week. I usually cook in bulk so it would last him and the kids 3 days and I just eat my own thing. All 3 of them are stick figures (both my kids are tiny like their dad and below the growth chart) so I definitely dont want to restrict their carb intake and make them lose weight.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I am definitely doing something right, and I am glad I am sticking to it going on week 3 (currently 2.5 weeks in). The lbs just keep dropping naturally and it feels A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Great news! That's the thing that really made low carb work for me. I am not sure exactly what I weighed when I started. I was afraid to get on a scale. I was wearing a size 22W. I started to eat low carb and I lost a whole size pretty quickly. After I dropped down to a size 20W I got on the scale and I was around 225 at that point. I figure I was probably around 235 when I started but I'm not really sure.

I am currently 185 and wearing a regular 14/16. I feel great and it's nice to be able to go to the store and wear the regular clothes that fit everyone else. I can shop with my girlfriends again!

Quote:
Funny thing is, after I changed my diet, I didnt even crave rice as much as I thought I would. I cooked a few cups a about a week ago and its still almost full sitting in my rice cooker.
The thing about carbs is that once you quit them the cravings eventually subside. I find it very freeing to have control over my hunger.

Quote:
I have been so excited that now I am beginning to do the "preaching" on how awesome low carb is. My mom is struggling, she's always been a bad eater and just like me, a rice addict and its gotta be white rice. I told her to at least switch to brown rice at least its baby steps and she found the idea intriguing but have a hard time sticking to it because like me she cooks for the family and cant fight back the temptation. It takes a lot of effort the first week. I was like hell for me not getting to eat what I am so used to, but I found that if I stick to it, I am practically used to this now and dont crave sweets at all. Not even fruit.

I weigh myself everyday just to make sure I am doing things right and up to date (drum roll) I have lost 11 lbs. My highest was 234 when I started and I am now 223, I even weigh less than when I got pregnant with my second son in December of 2013.
That's fantastic! My youngest is 16 years old and I now weigh less than I did when I became pregnant with him! Please keep us all posted on your progress (and any setbacks).

Old 08-26-2015, 03:27 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,133,695 times
OP, how tall are you?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 PM

21,038 posts, read 28,663,480 times
Glad to hear things are better with your husband. I am also glad to hear you are eating better. I plan on riding my bicycle soon for an hour. I wish I didn't have to watch my weight but unfortunately this was the hand I was dealt. Since I have lost weight my skin looks better and my hormone issues have subsided. Like someone else said treat yourself to something other than food as you loose weight, like a new outfit or maybe a Mani/Pedi.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:00 PM

To give everyone an idea this is how I look like now. I personally don't think I look too big, so I don't know where the weight is going. Guess the primary culprits are my arms and thighs. I'm 5ft3
Attached Thumbnails
The life of being married to someone who is not fat-img_20150826_165326.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss