Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,265,240 times

Advertisements

I apologise OP, but perhaps it was your tone.

You say you've lost a tiny bit, WELL DONE, but you say nothing about losing more, or wanting to lose more, or increasing the pace?

Doing as you describe, you should be consistently losing between 1-2lb a week. Are you?

Im reminded of those people on My 600lb LIfe who swear BLIND they are not eating junk yet still gaining. Not that you are, but its the mindset that is concerning me...its the same. I've done a little bit, why aren't people satisfied?

Because its only good if you continue!!

As far as king sized meals at Mickey Ds - if you are actually on a health kick you don't even LOOK at that carp! Even the thought of those nasty and empty calories gives you the heaves.

I know as I have lost 36kg 2 and a half times now over my life.

Each and every loss has taken a TOTAL lifestyle change.

You don't seem to want that? Are you walking every day, eating 5 cups of fresh veges a day, and drinking 8 glasses of water? All BASIC and essential changes for healthy ongoing weight loss?

Last edited by cindersslipper; 08-28-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,956,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I'm almost 3 weeks in and my eating has been great. I have never been a junk food eater to begin with, I just ate too much carbs. With that said, I am not upset about him giving me suggestions on my eating habits. I actually did accept his suggestions, thats why I changed. The original problem is that he wanted me to stay covered up until I reach an "ideal" weight. I am not going around in a bikini, I just wanted to wear something sleeveless, not to "flaunt" my arms around, but because of humid weather and he was like "I think you should put something over that"

So basically, this thread was about him criticizing the way I dress, not about my eating because since I made the change and stuck to it, there's nothing more to criticize.
If your arms are really disproportionate, when you lose the weight you're going to have some extra skin in that area. Your husband will probably say you should cover up then because of the extra skin. Or you might decide to get the excess skin removed. And then he will say you should cover up because of the surgical scars. Basically, this is just something he's programmed to complain about. You might want to just tell him you're going to dress appropriately for the temperature and that he needs to stop mentioning your upper arms.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:26 PM

586 posts, read 835,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If your arms are really disproportionate, when you lose the weight you're going to have some extra skin in that area. Your husband will probably say you should cover up then because of the extra skin. Or you might decide to get the excess skin removed. And then he will say you should cover up because of the surgical scars. Basically, this is just something he's programmed to complain about. You might want to just tell him you're going to dress appropriately for the temperature and that he needs to stop mentioning your upper arms.
I plan to get surgery to remove excess skin, regardless of what he thinks (he actually supports that though), simply because I want to look good and not have excess skin when I am still in my twenties.

Is the scarring really bad though?

Edit: nvm, I found some pics on google...(sigh) lets just lose all this weight first and then deal with my arms later.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,265,240 times
sadly your arms are the worst to operate on.

I knew a girl who got acres taken from her stomach but nothing from her arms because the scarring would be too bad.

You might be lucky though and have good skin - youre young enough that it may bounce back into place without any residual stretching.

Mine has so far. No stretch marks even. Lucky.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,570,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul888 View Post
Please learn correct grammar before you preach any science on me. The Op looks like crap and needs to get a counselor to help her with her eating disorder. She has shown she can't eat less as she faces a lot of demons from within that a professional counselor may help her with. She needs to heal from within before she can heal from the outside.
Was that really necessary to say about the OP. When's the last time you looked in the mirror?

Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,068,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Dump him and lose ~200 pounds. He is useless. If you want to lose weight, do it for you. If he doesn't like how you look, that's on him.

Personally, I don't believe in the arm police. If it is hot, go sleeveless. If people hate your arms, they should look away.

I think everyone should adopt healthy habits: eat well, sleep well and stay active. That is important.

This.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,068,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul888 View Post
Please learn correct grammar before you preach any science on me. The Op looks like crap and needs to get a counselor to help her with her eating disorder. She has shown she can't eat less as she faces a lot of demons from within that a professional counselor may help her with. She needs to heal from within before she can heal from the outside.
and you sound like a jerk. She can lose weight, can you stop being a jerk? I doubt it.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,956,704 times
Quote:
I plan to get surgery to remove excess skin, regardless of what he thinks (he actually supports that though), simply because I want to look good and not have excess skin when I am still in my twenties.

Is the scarring really bad though?

Edit: nvm, I found some pics on google...(sigh) lets just lose all this weight first and then deal with my arms later.
My point was that your husband can always find something to comment on if he wants to. It would be better to help him understand that comments about your arms aren't welcome now than to listen to years of comments.

Personally I'm not going to have skin removal surgery, because I almost died from the anesthesia the last time I had surgery and I'm still having trouble with my memory a year and a half later, so I'm not going to risk general anesthesia for anything that's not life-threatening.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:31 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,827,845 times
Quote:
As much as I appreciate all the advises, why do people keep missing the fact (which I clearly stated in my original post, so I dont know how anyone would miss it) that I have CHANGED? Even my husband doesnt pick on my eating anymore, because I have simply learned how to eat better. Yes, I am 225 now, but its going down. At least its better than my original weight of 234.

What's discouraging is when you are in the process of changing and people just continue giving you crap (and I meant people in real life too). I dont mind people giving me lectures or pointing a finger at me if they catch me eating a supersized meal at mcdonalds but when I am already making progress? Come on, cut me some slack.

People have been asking about my fitness level which I didnt mention much about, doesnt mean I am completely sedentary, but because it didnt pertain to this original thread.

I live 1 mile from the grocery store, so when the weather is nice, I push my kids in a double stroller and walk to and from.
If time allows, I go to the gym for at least 1.5 hours. One hour doign cardio, and 20-30 minutes doing strength training. I had a personal trainer before, so know the basics.
If its pouring rain, and I am without a car - I play just dance, which is also a good cardio workout.

And no - I am not going to go beyond 225, I know that its unhealthy. The problem with me is, I honestly dont think I am capable of packing on anymore weight than what I already weigh. I am in maintenance mode, which means I have been weighing the same for the past 5 years, not gaining or losing. People will probably picture me as someone holding a bag of chips in one hand, and a dozen cookies in the other, but contrary to popular beliefs, I dont like junk food. I feel like I have problem with starchy foods such as white rice, breads, noodles etc - which I also got rid of.
You don't have to explain yourself to a bunch of strangers on a message board. If you know you're doing the best you can that's all that matters. Ignore the folks on here who are telling you you aren't losing fast enough because the quicker you lose it, the more likely it is to come back! Seems to me like you're headed in the right direction, and people don't just change overnight, it has to be gradual (which seems like you're doing).

Anyway, didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I missed something, but I though this thread was about how her husband puts her down about her weight. So not quite sure why there's so many people here telling her how to diet, since that wasn't the question.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,269,871 times
I was 50 lbs. overweight forever and somehow I landed a workout enthusiast type. He lifted weights every other day and on alternate days ran ten miles. Not kidding.

I was probably thinner when we met and gained, but I went up and down. At one point I lost a lot of weight and guess what?! He still wasn't happy. He was a jerk.

In retrospect he was abusive. This was all in my late teens and early 20's. In my late 30's I got super serious w/ Weight Watchers and pulled off 48 lbs. after having married someone else.

People think I'm naturally thin now and I don't take the time to tell them that, in fact, I worked really hard at it. If you PM me, I can tell you everything I did. I've kept it off for ten years now.

Here's the sad truth: even if you lose weight (and you SO can), he'll still be a jerk. He needs counseling. And you'll need to get on w/ your own life even if you decide to stay with him. Grow as a person, find the things that make you happy and wear what shorts you want.

We have to stop putting up with rotten behavior.

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss