Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Thanks. I do have a gym membership and according to plan was supposed to go every day for an hour, but the past 2 weeks my husband has been working since 11 am til 10 pm. I work from 6-10am...so basically between the two of us, we are working 16 hours a day, so its hard to find time for me to hit the gym when he works so much. My gym opens at 5 am and closes at 11 pm. It would be a hassle and I wouldnt that much done if I took advantage of that hour since there's also time to get ready and commute.
Sounds like the gym is not for you. Videos or find home based workouts. Also, i really recommend doing the 100 pushups and 200 squats programs. You can find it online or get a phone app. These 2 things helped me in two ways:
1. Built strength that made exercise easier
2. Helped me get used to exercising more regularly

These two programs require no equipement and build baseline strength translatable to basically any activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Woof, I'm gonna jump in here from a male perspective.

1) How's the sex life? That might be an extra stressor. When people dont feel good about themselves they have a tendency to lose interest. That could be causing strife with the hubby and causing him to channel it to nagging you about your weight.

2) Your young, whole lotta mumbo jumbo being spouted at you in this thread. Sensible diet and lots o exercise if the key. THINK SMALL PORTIONS, your a small gal inside a big fat suit trying to get out. Feed the small Gal.

3) forget all that medical crap, lap bands and the like, unless a doctor is advising you.

4) I've heard some good things about the metafast diet but it's tough.

5) Get it off now it just gets harder as you get older.

6) Get off this forum, quit thinking it to death and get after it hard then come back in a month to show everyone your progress.

7) Good luck

Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul888 View Post
Seriously I would go with a lap band surgery. Any weight lost you may have now will be temporary and you will fall back on bad habits again on the first sign of stress. Also i would seek a counselor too.. You are using food as a escape from your daily stress. Your battle will be life long as your body has acquired the fat genes syndrome. It just stores every possible food you eat thus all the weight gain. Where as a normal person would burn 80% of the food they eat, you will just burn only 30%. Good luck, you will need it... Obesity is a life long disease...
I'm sorry, but do you even science?

Quote:
Thanks. I do have a gym membership and according to plan was supposed to go every day for an hour, but the past 2 weeks my husband has been working since 11 am til 10 pm. I work from 6-10am...so basically between the two of us, we are working 16 hours a day, so its hard to find time for me to hit the gym when he works so much. My gym opens at 5 am and closes at 11 pm. It would be a hassle and I wouldnt that much done if I took advantage of that hour since there's also time to get ready and commute.
OP, I'm confused by the bolded part. Is there any reason each of you can't go on your own terms? One car maybe? You could ride a bike to the gym or bus it. I did that in college occasionally. It could also be an excellent excuse to get a Vespa or high-speed Segway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
2) Your young, whole lotta mumbo jumbo being spouted at you in this thread. Sensible diet and lots o exercise if the key. THINK SMALL PORTIONS, your a small gal inside a big fat suit trying to get out. Feed the small Gal.

3) forget all that medical crap, lap bands and the like, unless a doctor is advising you.

5) Get it off now it just gets harder as you get older.

6) Get off this forum, quit thinking it to death and get after it hard then come back in a month to show everyone your progress.
OP please listen to Bulldog Dad, especially the numbers I didn't snip above. I know #6 is often my problem when trying something new. I'm totally guilty of overthinking a new routine into oblivion. You just need to get started, and get started now! Don't wait, don't overthink it.

The number on your scale is 80-90% about your diet. When you eat less calories than you use, you lose weight. It is precisely that simple. A tough workout might burn 500 calories in an hour. It only takes a minute or 2 to eat that many calories though, which is why it's basically impossible to out-exercise a bad diet. You need to control portion sizes (my biggest problem) and try to get your calories from "cleaner" food sources. Don't restrict yourself too much on the bad foods you love, but cut your portion sizes on those foods more than others. If you're wearing it, you ate it.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:40 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
OP, I'm confused by the bolded part. Is there any reason each of you can't go on your own terms? One car maybe?.
They have small children.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM

39 posts, read 40,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I'm sorry, but do you even science?

OP, I'm confused by the bolded part. Is there any reason each of you can't go on your own terms? One car maybe? You could ride a bike to the gym or bus it. I did that in college occasionally. It could also be an excellent excuse to get a Vespa or high-speed Segway!

OP please listen to Bulldog Dad, especially the numbers I didn't snip above. I know #6 is often my problem when trying something new. I'm totally guilty of overthinking a new routine into oblivion. You just need to get started, and get started now! Don't wait, don't overthink it.

The number on your scale is 80-90% about your diet. When you eat less calories than you use, you lose weight. It is precisely that simple. A tough workout might burn 500 calories in an hour. It only takes a minute or 2 to eat that many calories though, which is why it's basically impossible to out-exercise a bad diet. You need to control portion sizes (my biggest problem) and try to get your calories from "cleaner" food sources. Don't restrict yourself too much on the bad foods you love, but cut your portion sizes on those foods more than others. If you're wearing it, you ate it.
Please learn correct grammar before you preach any science on me. The Op looks like crap and needs to get a counselor to help her with her eating disorder. She has shown she can't eat less as she faces a lot of demons from within that a professional counselor may help her with. She needs to heal from within before she can heal from the outside.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Obesity is a serious disease and will be a life long battle.
So is being an assclown.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
So is being an assclown.
Amen.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Seriously I would go with a lap band surgery. Any weight lost you may have now will be temporary and you will fall back on bad habits again on the first sign of stress. Also i would seek a counselor too.. You are using food as a escape from your daily stress. Your battle will be life long as your body has acquired the fat genes syndrome. It just stores every possible food you eat thus all the weight gain. Where as a normal person would burn 80% of the food they eat, you will just burn only 30%. Good luck, you will need it... Obesity is a life long disease...
Wow. Just get a life threatening surgery and all will be good, that is your opinion?? Wow. Just wow.

Are you a doctor??

Yes, it will be a life long battle as it is for almost everybody else. I battle every day about what I eat and I was never overweight.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
As long as you keep making excuses, you will never change. You might get some weight off but gain it back.

If you would be 100% behind your goal, you would find a way, no matter what.

You would take the kids and just walk. Put them in strollers, bicycle, and just get out of the house, doing something that keeps you away from the fridge, breathe nature and exercise. Nobody expects you to go jogging, just walk. Walk fast or slow and slowly increase the distance and the pace.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:25 PM

586 posts, read 832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
As long as you keep making excuses, you will never change. You might get some weight off but gain it back.

If you would be 100% behind your goal, you would find a way, no matter what.

You would take the kids and just walk. Put them in strollers, bicycle, and just get out of the house, doing something that keeps you away from the fridge, breathe nature and exercise. Nobody expects you to go jogging, just walk. Walk fast or slow and slowly increase the distance and the pace.
Someone brought up the gym thats why I said I couldnt go to the gym as of right now due to my husband's and my work schedule. Its not an excuse, its a fact.

As far as other activities. I dont mention it, since it didnt really pertain the original post, but I do find a way to get around. We have winco about 1 mile down the road and I walk there with my kids to get groceries. I take my kids out to play, and when I am not outside, I play just dance on kinect. Whatever to keep my heart pumping...so I am not exactly sedentary.

As a matter of fact, I am about to go jump around right now lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss