Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times

Advertisements

Pretty cool, Kings, I always tell myself I need some energy to get me through the walk/jog, but now I know!

Today was another great weigh-in; according to the scale I am down 2.4 since that first weigh in on Tuesday a.m.!

However, speaking of trends, I was also the exact same weight that I am today, on July 3. Blehhh. I should be down at least 4-6 or so lbs. by now! Dang cravings and inconsistent workouts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:57 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
To the OP:
The recommendation is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time before breakfast with minimal or no clothes on. I used to weigh my self all the time like you are describing and there is no point in that. If you drink a 16oz glass of water that is one pound. Water weight will be what will fluctuate the most. As has been mentioned, no point in driving yourself crazy.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
To the OP:
The recommendation is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time before breakfast with minimal or no clothes on. I used to weigh my self all the time like you are describing and there is no point in that. If you drink a 16oz glass of water that is one pound. Water weight will be what will fluctuate the most. As has been mentioned, no point in driving yourself crazy.
But I'm not driving myself crazy, I am having fun.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
For me this is the norm. I NEVER eat before my morning cardio whatever food/carbs I recently ate.
Nor do I. A healthy person doesn't need to "fuel" before working out. I drink coffee or tea but that's it, not even any juice.
I'm 66 y.o. and daily do a 2-3 mile walk-run and 45 minutes of yoga most mornings and then wait an hour or more after that before I eat my first food for the day.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I don't start doing anything until I've had my morning cup of coffee.

I also don't own a scale.

When I want to know how much I weigh, I use the scale in the gym or, if I'm going to the doctor for any reason, I use theirs.
It's usually more a matter of curiosity than concern; I generally don't care what the number reads on the scale, so much as how I feel, how my clothes fit, and how I think I look in the mirror.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:39 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Doing my exercise routine before breakfast has been the magic bullet. I literally cannot sing the praises enough.

My first bout with being overweight (well, obese with a 30.5 BMI at 220 pounds) ended when I dropped it senior year HS before going to college, but I could never get rid of love handles. Put it back on after mom died (I was 22-24).

At 25 with a much smarter routine, I am in better shape than at 19: 162 pounds, 32" waist, muscles, and love handles virtually gone.

The love handles, the most stubborn bit, did not go until I began running after a pot of black tea. They really fell off after I upped to: run 3 miles to gym, lift weights, run 3 miles back home, eat breakfast.

For consistency, I weigh myself first thing in the morning. Anything past that, and you start introducing various variables (waste, water, meals, etc) that could significantly skew things.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
For decades I didn't own a scale. Then last year my husband bought one. I do weigh myself each morning, and there are fluctuations of 2 -3 lbs, which I know is normal, depending on what I may have eaten previously, etc.

I will occasionally do some light exercise before I have breakfast, but as a Type 2 diabetic who suffers from high fasting blood sugar, it serves me best to eat shortly after I awake. Strenuous exercise raises by BGs big time, while light exercise (like walking) brings it down. We all do what works for us.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
I like my scale! I deal with hypoglycemia, and am trying to learn what I can eat, what keeps my blood sugar steady during the day, and how it all can fit into my 1600 calorie recommendation per day. I used to have to just eat enough to not get hungry. But that just results in weight gain. I have read labels since they started putting the information on them. I have owned a BMI scale now for over 20 years. But fitting all of the little pieces together, for me, is helped by my weighing myself daily. I can see the flucuations, and by keeping track of the info in myfitnesspal.com, I can track better.
FWIW; I am 53, 5'2", and currently 182 lbs. My weight was manageable at 155 before I hit peri-menopause, then it threw me under the bus.
I have only recently been able to get back to losing weight, after getting up to 237 with the peri-menopause issues. Once those started settling down, this past winter....I was able to re-focus. The scale...is my friend. I document my daily weight, and what I eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss