Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times

Advertisements

This may sound too simplistic for some, I know.

I lost 14 lbs recently...due to some injuries so I
laid around too long recovering...then continued being 'lazy'
even after recovery! Geeze, so stupid.

I went on a very low calorie diet, period. It took 2 weeks for my stomach not to want more.
I didn't care...I would have more steamed organic vegetables, then, or a great
simple salad with no oil.
(Soy sauce, lemon, fresh basil, etc...to satisfy any imaginary craving.)

Now what I am doing to keep it off is not have 'delicious' food.

It's working great...I mean I have org eggs, chicken, meat, wild salmon,
veggies, salad....but
no sauces, extra spices, ketchup, chutneys, salty chips...
just simple salt and pepper, tamari...nothing fancy.

So my attitude has changed about food in the last 2 months...my mind doesn't
go, "Can't wait to go out or Can't wait for supper, oh boy!"
I just eat simply.

It took me awhile...but I am now in the groove and can't stand a heavy feeling in my tummy...thus...no more cheeses, pasta, bread...you know the carbs and
melted cheese dishes!
I look and feel great...energy has doubled...and I'm wearing my tight jeans.

If this encourages anyone, great..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:38 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,335,530 times
Congratulations on your weight loss!

I think the best thing for people who want to lose weight is to keep experimenting with diet. If one thing isn't working, try something else. I have tried and failed with many different weight loss efforts, but one thing is consistent: I learn something more about myself with every effort I make, and I become more successful each time I try.

I remind myself that I quit a 27-year smoking habit the same way. I had quit and failed over and over. Then one day I finally figured out what was going to work FOR ME. I tried one last time and haven't smoked in 10 years.

Weight loss is the same. People who struggle with it need to keep experimenting. If one thing didn't work, try something else. Maybe you inch your way down using a number of different methods. Maybe you lose it all in one shot. For sure, you get to know yourself in the process, and that is very valuable regardless of the outcome on the scale.

It's great that you've found something that works for you! I wish you continued success!!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I went on a very low calorie diet, period. It took 2 weeks for my stomach not to want more.

veggies, salad....but

I just eat simply.

It took me awhile...but I am now in the groove and can't stand a heavy feeling in my tummy...thus...no more cheeses, pasta, bread...you know the carbs and
melted cheese dishes!

You have managed to reset your satiety level. That's important. It has been shown that reset satiety levels are associated with maintaining a lower weight - even in those who stop exersizing. Other ways to maintain that reset satiety level... (just remember, you can quickly reverse that if you even just start to gorge on food):

No 32 or 64 oz mega-beverages EVER! Worst thing you can do. Sugar sweetened or not, sucking those huge drinks fast through a wide bore straw trains your stomach to accommodate more volume - so, it takes more food to feel "full." 6 to 8 oz of a beverage or water at a time, using a narrow straw (I get mine at the dollar store). It takes 2 or three episodes of "having a drink of pop" for me to finish a 16 oz bottle of pepsi. Never EVER sugar sweetened pop. Empty calories. Lots of them. If you think artificially sweetened pop doesn't taste right - just shop around; you'll find one or several that you like.

No restaurants. They give humongous portions so they can up the tab - they do this strictly to be able to afford to run the business. As far as they're concerned, it's the total at the register that counts. Not the amount of food in the serving (with some exceptions of course). Just stay away. They're running a business - but it's not your business!

Use a small plate - not a large one. You load 1/3 less food on a "medium sized" plate compared to a standard "dinner plate." The "fully loaded plate" is part of what decides when you're "full" because a large part of "feeling full" is due to visual input to your brain.

If you can, get in the habit of eating a small amount of something, like 6 times a day, do it if you can. Small amounts each time. Everybody I know that is skinny does this and it seems inborn in these people. It doesn't work for me, but when I have managed to do so for a period of time, I lost weight and never even thought of being hungry. I don't do it strictly because I'm too lazy to go through the motions and I can't stand dirty dishes or utensils in the sink.

It's important to note that at one time, I could eat more food in one sitting than anybody I know - we're talking a whole extra large pizza (just for me); 10 White Castles; a whole box of angel hair pasta (pasta is deadly if you're dieting ya know); 12 pierogies; 4 coney islands + fries, etc. I can't believe I ever did that - but I did, like, for years.

Bon (petit) appetit.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-15-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times
Quote:

veggies, salad....but

I just eat simply.

melted cheese dishes!

Congratulations, Miss H.

If you're willing to answer I have a question: Have you dealt with any type of eating disorder at any time? The reason I'm asking is that I think your advice is probably great for those who don't have that history, but I'd be curious how well it would work for someone who does.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,692,186 times
In the same boat here. Started eating plain or simple foods about three weeks back. Also cut way down on my portion size. The only sauce I use is hot sauce, I also still use lots of spices (cayenne pepper!). In the past I've had horrible digestion issues for a long time and this way of eating has really helped, plus I've also lost about 8lbs. I still let myself have a drink with friends and now instead of candy bars or other pre packaged treats I'll enjoy Justin's almond butter sweetened with honey or some raw cocoa beans.

I feel good and not deprived. Energy is way way up. However, the appeal food had before with sauces is simply not there. I'd much rather have a few fresh figs and some roasted carrots and mushrooms.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,565,545 times
You are better/stronger than I, and most of the population. Congrats on the results, sounds like a do-able plan.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
If you can, get in the habit of eating a small amount of something, like 6 times a day, do it if you can. Small amounts each time.
This has worked well for me. I'm down over 20 lbs and have found that small, frequent meals curbs bingeing and tempers bad food decisions. Willpower is MUCH easier for me when I'm never too hungry, and eating every 2 hours keeps me in that state.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
No eating disorder...used to drink too much years ago, imo.
Yes, I reset that satiety level, right.

I mean I can have 2 slices of thin turkey on a melba sesame round with
a drop of mustard or not...and that is my DINNER!
Took long enough to reset it...but it was so worth it!

I allow myself one Rye Crisp or Garlic Rounds...no more than 5 a day...many days none.
Esp, when I am running out the door shopping so I won't feel hungry while I'm out.

I feel very sexy and hot, btw. Woohoo!

And I say this to inspire only! Give your self 2, 3, 4 months and just DO it!
Eat low calorie, period. Any way it worked for me.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No eating disorder...used to drink too much years ago, imo.
Yes, I reset that satiety level, right.

I mean I can have 2 slices of thin turkey on a melba sesame round with
a drop of mustard or not...and that is my DINNER!
Took long enough to reset it...but it was so worth it!

I allow myself one Rye Crisp or Garlic Rounds...no more than 5 a day...many days none.
Esp, when I am running out the door shopping so I won't feel hungry while I'm out.

I feel very sexy and hot, btw. Woohoo!

And I say this to inspire only! Give your self 2, 3, 4 months and just DO it!
Eat low calorie, period. Any way it worked for me.
I spent the bulk of my life very thin. I didn't start gaining weight until I was married and took on some of my husband's eating habits. I never dieted, but what I did do was eat like a bird. Somehow, American culture has taught us that we'll wither and blow away if we don't eat gobs of food. It's just not true.

Congrats again!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,402,604 times
The only thing that works for me is calorie counting. That way I can eat what I want, when I want. I have a lower and higher calorie goal. On the weekends I get more calories. During the week I get less. I have steadily lost 12 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss