Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 PM

144 posts, read 184,692 times

Advertisements

I have acid reflux,so I can't eat too early and I can't eat meat more than a few times a month. So far, I've been eating a lot but maintaining a healthy weight while doing so. I don't eat "breakfast", meaning I don't eat before 11 AM. Then my next meal is usually at 8 pm, sometimes not until 11. Our bodies are built to last. You can skip a meal once in a while and be totally healthy. Just eat what you want, but don't eat American-sized portions of rich foods. Go easy on condiments and try to eat just twice a day, sometimes once won't put at any real danger. Eat WELL; that doesn't mean starving, but it doesn't mean eating more than you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 PM

109 posts, read 91,084 times
If someone wants to lose weight, should have a cup of honey + lemon in the morning after waking up, this way is very good for healthy and can lose 2-3kg/month.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, 28 y.o. male...back history on weight/health. 14-16 weighed 240; 16-20 weighed 140-150; 20-24 weighed 150-160; 24-25 170-180; 25-26 190-240; 27-to now 210-220. I fluctuate a lot can drop down to 210 one week skyrocket up to 225 the following week my weight always fluctuates like that. Been hovering around 220-225 for right now.

I use to be an avid runner running 60-80 miles a week. Also four hour's a week at the gym and three hour's swimming a week. As you can see once stopped exercising the weight piled on. So been running consistently since this past May. The weight causes a lot of exhaustion, but finally broke 3 miles fees week's back just coming off a nasty sinus infection so been running off and on, mostly sleeping ha when I can.

Anyways end of August start of September joined the gym go about 3 days a week for 30 minutes to an hour. Also do one day of the stationary bike which is another 30 minutes. At work usually work 3-4 day's can cover about on average 10,000 steps up to 12,000 steps so close to 5 miles a day I walk at work.

My goal is like to run a half by the summer and get myself down to 190. I am getting married in October of next year like to be 175. Think these are realistic goals regarding weight loss? Appreciate the insight.

As far as eating habits go I am pretty good. Do have a sweet tooth tough to shake at times. I eat mostly eggs,tuna, peanut butter, vegetables, pretzels, and hummus.

Basically I will do three times a week for breakfast vegetarian meal replacement shake with bananas,sometimes strawberries and Apple's in it. Also add in sugar free almond milk.
Other breakfast includes twice a week having scrambled eggs in the morning with salsa.
Two other day's having 2 packs of oatmeal with honey and a banana

From there normally have pretzels hummus and string cheese for a mid morning snack.

Have lunch usually 2 peanut butter and fluff sandwiches or one tuna sandwich with cheese/tomatoe both on wheat bread

Followed by afternoon snack of an Apple

Then dinner is usually another string cheese, a yogurt, usually chicken 2 pieces with 2 cups of a veggie usually cauliflower, broccoli, or baby spinach trying to get away from eating chicken going with more beans. Usually have a cup of rice or a cup of mashed potatoes or one baked potato with the meal.

Then come home have a packet of peanut butter crackers

Usually drink 2-4 cups of coffee a day depending on the day ha.
Water I am good drink 30ounces probably need more trying to get to 60 then to 80
Rarely drink soda mostly seltzer if anything and sometimes as a treat diet grapefruit soda.

Any idea on changes to help with weight loss seem like on the right path.

Appreciate the feedback.
I would consider replacing most of the high carb items (oatmeal, banana, honey, hummus, peanut butter crackers, apple, pretzels, beans, rice potatoes) with protein/fat. Lose the fluff. You might as well eat spoons of sugar. Make sure the peanut butter you eat has no added sugar.

The other thing you can do is make sure that the carbs you do eat are eaten early in the day. Avoid high carb snacks late in the day.

It is easier to shake your sweet tooth if you go cold turkey on the sweet stuff (including fruit). It will be rough for 3-5 days but after that is over it will be easier to resist.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrychen View Post
If someone wants to lose weight, should have a cup of honey + lemon in the morning after waking up, this way is very good for healthy and can lose 2-3kg/month.
Honey is pure sugar. How can all those empty, insulin raising calories help them lose weight?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Any diet can work if you have self control, and any diet will cause you to gain weight if you eat too many calories. The main reason low carb works is because carbs are so addicting, however insulin is also a fat storage hormone so refined, high glycemic carbs will not help your cause... ultimately I'd say eat like a bodybuilder and count calories.. that's what I do.. if you don't exercise a lot I would definitely recommend cutting refined carbohydrates. I have a hard time if I eat too much fruit keeping off weight.. I start to look skinny fat... even when I undereat in total calories.

For best results simply do not buy, or keep in the house, any so called healthy multigrain snacks loaded with MSG and Vegetable oils... most people don't have the self control to eat them in moderation. No bread, pasta, box cereals, peanut butter (or any sort of nuts or nut butters because they are calorie dense and addictive) or jelly. No Pizza or other processed frozen foods that are addictive and loaded with MSG... people don't have self control when eating them. No sugar. Period. Lots of salads, lean meats, you can have oats if you want, legumes like black beans, kidney beans, etc... lean meats, fish... eat like a bodybuilder eats. Don't buy addicting foods... it's really simple. Sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to do and often what you don't want to do often benefits you more in the long run.

Do not drink a cup of honey every day... that's just asking for non alcoholic fatty liver disease along with type 2 diabetes. In fact NO honey... it's not healthy and nor is agave nectar.. they are loaded with fructose.. you'd be better off eating fresh fruit and using liquid splenda drops to sweeten. I also don't really recommend an atkins style ketosis diet for a long term diet.. you don't see bodybuilders doing it, and bodybuilders have diet down to a science and know diet is 80% of your results. The body needs carbohydrates to make the average person feel good and be able to exercise to peak performance. However the less you exercise, the less carbs you need and the more you will benefit from cutting carbs on your dietary plan.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-02-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrychen View Post
I have to wonder if someone, anyone, takes this advice, and they have their little cup of honey and lemon, thinking, this will help me lose 2-3kg/month. Then, they go out and go about their day, having a 4-egg omelette, coffee with creamer, toast for breakfast. Then for lunch a big burger with fries; for dinner, a nice steak with an all-out baked potato, sour cream and all. Then ice cream for dessert. --- Why isn't this honey and lemon working????

Then another, who is serious about losing, wakes up and tries the honey and lemon, and then has black coffee and rye toast with one egg. For lunch, a piece of chicken with some broccoli and a side salad, then for dinner, a nice broiled fish with some zucchini and another side salad. A nice sorbet for dessert. They lose weight. -- Is it the honey and lemon that did it? Uhhh, noooo......

Old 10-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Then another, who is serious about losing, wakes up and tries the honey and lemon, and then has black coffee and rye toast with one egg. For lunch, a piece of chicken with some broccoli and a side salad, then for dinner, a nice broiled fish with some zucchini and another side salad. A nice sorbet for dessert. They lose weight. -- Is it the honey and lemon that did it? Uhhh, noooo......
I would recommend no dessert for those trying to lose weight.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
I have to wonder if someone, anyone, takes this advice, and they have their little cup of honey and lemon, thinking, this will help me lose 2-3kg/month. Then, they go out and go about their day, having a 4-egg omelette, coffee with creamer, toast for breakfast. Then for lunch a big burger with fries; for dinner, a nice steak with an all-out baked potato, sour cream and all. Then ice cream for dessert. --- Why isn't this honey and lemon working????
Yeah, well, those are also the people who want to take a pill and still eat 3000 cal/day and lose weight.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would recommend no dessert for those trying to lose weight.
I wouldn't. Deprivation should not be a part of any weight loss program. Even if the dessert is some low-fat ice cream or fruit or yogurt or parfait (that's why I said sorbet, which was just randomly off the top of my head for the purposes of making my point).

Old 10-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't. Deprivation should not be a part of any weight loss program. Even if the dessert is some low-fat ice cream or fruit or yogurt or parfait (that's why I said sorbet, which was just randomly off the top of my head for the purposes of making my point).
On another thread you mentioned that you are having trouble keeping to your calorie limit and thus you are not losing much weight. Lose the dessert and you lose those calories.

Deprivation is part of EVERY weight loss program. You have to deprive your body of calories to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss