Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:35 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
But its so much easier to say you have gluten sensitivity! Especially when you read those books that are best sellers that tell you its BAD!
This is the same type of thinking that made the Pet Rock a best seller.
Right, I have Celiac disease, but you conveniently ignore the reality of many people feeling much better without eating grains. I don't know why it is so hard to understand that modern wheat has nothing in common with wheat consumed 50+ years ago in the US. Not everyone can adapt to deleterious changes in our food supply, particularly in a short time horizon.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-14-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 03:41 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,373,352 times
I enjoy rice and potatoes as well as other carbs but wheat.... nope. I know right away if gluten sneaks into my diet. I'd say that's a sensitivity.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I hear people say that a lot.

What sources do you have that confirm that there is more gluten in our bread today than there was 50 or 100 years ago?
Norman Borlaug, credited with the "Green Revolution," with the pros being increased yields and somewhat improved disease resistance. Cons being wheat completely changed, and semi-dwarf high yield wheat cultivars took over entirely in agricultural fields. Basically, wheat became a shorter plant with a much larger seed head..

"Dwarfing is an important agronomic quality for wheat; dwarf plants produce thick stems. The cultivars Borlaug worked with had tall, thin stalks. Taller wheat grasses better compete for sunlight, but tend to collapse under the weight of the extra grain — a trait called lodging — from the rapid growth spurts induced by nitrogen fertilizer Borlaug used in the poor soil. To prevent this, he bred wheat to favor shorter, stronger stalks that could better support larger seed heads. In 1953, he acquired a Japanese dwarf variety of wheat called Norin 10 developed by Orville Vogel, that had been crossed with a high-yielding American cultivar called Brevor 14.[26] Norin 10/Brevor is semi-dwarf (one-half to two-thirds the height of standard varieties) and produces more stalks and thus more heads of grain per plant. Also, larger amounts of assimilate were partitioned into the actual grains, further increasing the yield. Borlaug crossbred the semi-dwarf Norin 10/Brevor cultivar with his disease-resistant cultivars to produce wheat varieties that were adapted to tropical and sub-tropical climates.[27]

Borlaug's new semi-dwarf, disease-resistant varieties, called Pitic 62 and Penjamo 62, changed the potential yield of spring wheat dramatically. By 1963, 95% of Mexico's wheat crops used the semi-dwarf varieties developed by Borlaug. That year, the harvest was six times larger than in 1944, the year Borlaug arrived in Mexico. Mexico had become fully self-sufficient in wheat production, and a net exporter of wheat.[28] Four other high-yield varieties were also released, in 1964: Lerma Rojo 64, Siete Cerros, Sonora 64, and Super X."

Old 12-14-2015, 03:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Right, I have Celiac disease, but you conveniently ignore the reality of many people feeling much better without eating grains. I don't know why it is so hard to understand that modern wheat has nothing in common with wheat consumed 50 years. Not everyone can adapt to deleterious changes in our food supply, particularly in a short time horizon.
The grains people feel better not eating are in unhealthy breads, cakes, cookies, crackers. Are they eating quinoa, faro, bulgar, oats?
I do not have a problem with carbs or gluten, but I stay away from overly processed grains. I think a lot of people go low carb and start feeling great because they are getting rid of all the simple, processed baked goods.
There is no need to demonize all grains, in fact the healthiest diet is one that includes healthy grains since they provide a ton of nutrients and fiber.
There have been a number of studies done now that say that a very, very small percentage of people have a wheat or gluten sensitivity (besides Celiac sufferers). So far they cannot pin point why that is. Through testing they have also found the placebo effect is very high when it comes to wheat and gluten. People THINK they have a sensitivity when they physically do not, but they actually feel better when they omit that from their diet.
The mind is playing a huge part in this new obsession with gluten and wheat sensitivities.
But hey, I do not care. If you do not like something don't eat it. I am of the mind to find a diet that works for you regardless what it is. I am just tired of demonizing food groups when it is not necessary.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have gluten intolerance, been on a gluten free diet for over 8 years and lost weight easily as well. The only big hurdle is the first month. After that, you will feel hungry far less often between meals as modern wheat has appetite stimulating properties. I generally stick with a modified paleo diet meaning: lean meats, fruits, vegetables, some starches like (quinoa, rice, some potatoes), and nuts. I only consume lower levels of dairy (some cheeses).
This for me.

Gluten may be a problem for some folks. I avoid all the grain I can and leave that food for cows to eat.

I demonize bread, wheat, etc., and the pounds fly off of me without effort. Of course, I eat more salads, vegetables etc., and reap the benefits of that.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
The grains people feel better not eating are in unhealthy breads, cakes, cookies, crackers. Are they eating quinoa, faro, bulgar, oats?
I do not have a problem with carbs or gluten, but I stay away from overly processed grains. I think a lot of people go low carb and start feeling great because they are getting rid of all the simple, processed baked goods.
There is no need to demonize all grains, in fact the healthiest diet is one that includes healthy grains since they provide a ton of nutrients and fiber.
There have been a number of studies done now that say that a very, very small percentage of people have a wheat or gluten sensitivity (besides Celiac sufferers). So far they cannot pin point why that is. Through testing they have also found the placebo effect is very high when it comes to wheat and gluten. People THINK they have a sensitivity when they physically do not, but they actually feel better when they omit that from their diet.
The mind is playing a huge part in this new obsession with gluten and wheat sensitivities.
But hey, I do not care. If you do not like something don't eat it. I am of the mind to find a diet that works for you regardless what it is. I am just tired of demonizing food groups when it is not necessary.
Yes, to clarify the worst offenders are obviously any of the grains in processed foods. Quinoa and oats (even some mass produced cereals using oats are gluten free now) are better selections. I stick with rice, quinoa, and a bit of potato. For fiber I tend to eat more fresh fruits and nuts that satisfy that requirement.
I also think that many people are catching on about the appetite stimulating properties of modern wheat, particularly those found in processed foods. It is the appetite stimulating properties that have led to the US snacking and obesity epidemic that has only become common in the last 30+ years. This is really no coincidence in my opinion is that is almost the exact time frame that modern wheat arrived on the store shelves. If people went with a modified paleo diet in large percentage numbers I think the obesity epidemic would definitely subside along with the highly elevated percentage of overweight individuals.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This for me.

Gluten may be a problem for some folks. I avoid all the grain I can and leave that food for cows to eat.

I demonize bread, wheat, etc., and the pounds fly off of me without effort. Of course, I eat more salads, vegetables etc., and reap the benefits of that.
Agreed. It is good that more and more people are going that direction as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of demonizing all grains. I can't lose weight if I eat a lot of carbs. Grains have lots of carbs so I don't eat them if I am trying to lose weight. The same goes for potatoes and most fruit. They're not bad. I just can't eat them if I want to lose weight.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:30 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I do not have gluten sensitivity, but I have given up simple carbs, which is probably gluten free for the most part. I feel like the low carb lifestyle is very healthy and I feel good on it.
I don't eat flour, sugar, or rice. I occasionally have fruit, potato, corn, and pasta, but not often.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think it's a matter of demonizing all grains. I can't lose weight if I eat a lot of carbs. Grains have lots of carbs so I don't eat them if I am trying to lose weight. The same goes for potatoes and most fruit. They're not bad. I just can't eat them if I want to lose weight.
And that is great that you found the answer for your body. A lot of people do well eating low carb. I just get tired of 'one size fits all' approach to eating. Or the collective 'food sensitivities' that are more of an excuse than an actual problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss