Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 PM

586 posts, read 834,867 times

Advertisements

I know this may not be an appropriate place to ask but I'm most active in here so even 1 or 2 answers is ok, I just want some opinions.

Yesterday I was doing aerobic excercises focusing on the tummy area and doing hip circles etc...I worked out more than usual yesterday. By the end of the day my back, where the waistline is hurt like it was stiff. I've never had a sprain before so dont know what that feels like but it doesnt feel like the soreness after a workout. Maybe because its the lower back so soreness feels differently? Either way, I cant bend or lift anything over 5 lbs. I know it will probably go away in time but wondering what it is. Thanks for the feedbacks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,922,086 times
You probably have a strain in the lower musculature of you back. Those kinds of exercise are known to cause lower back injuries.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,938,236 times
A strain or a muscle spasm. Your doctor can prescribe something to take for a few days to get through the worst of it, if it's painful enough to keep you from sleeping. I had one during the summer and it took a couple of months to get over it, even with medical treatment. Hopefully yours doesn't take as long to get better.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM

Yikes! I really couldn't sleep comfortably last night. I think I'll stay away from those types of excercise from now on. I may go to the doctor if it doesn't get better within a few days. I just hate going because the waiting time takes so long.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM

14,571 posts, read 23,120,899 times
Did the pain start during the workout or later in the day (and if so, how long between the workout and occurrence of pain)?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,694,890 times
Asking a bunch of people on the Internet to diagnose your back pain might not be too smart.

I'd take it easy for a few days to see if it resolves. If not, go talk to a doctor.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Did the pain start during the workout or later in the day (and if so, how long between the workout and occurrence of pain)?
it was after the workout. I dont remember the times exactly but about 5 hours a part. I workout through out the day, 20 min here, 20 min there and so on. The last time I worked out was around 1 pm and pain didnt start til 6 pm and got worse by the time husband came home at 9 pm. Now its not worse but its more of a combined stiff pain on lower back that causes backache radiating to mid back, but the primary point of pain is lower back where the pants fall...hope i dont sound confusing.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:56 PM

14,571 posts, read 23,120,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
it was after the workout. I dont remember the times exactly but about 5 hours a part. I workout through out the day, 20 min here, 20 min there and so on. The last time I worked out was around 1 pm and pain didnt start til 6 pm and got worse by the time husband came home at 9 pm. Now its not worse but its more of a combined stiff pain on lower back that causes backache radiating to mid back, but the primary point of pain is lower back where the pants fall...hope i dont sound confusing.
Then it is probably just delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) which should clear up in a couple days.

Trainer Q&A: Am I Sore or Injured? | Men's Fitness

Usually if the pain is the result of an injury it is acute and immediate. Since the soreness didn't come about until hours later I doubt there was an actual injury, but if it has not subsided in a few days, getting a check up wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,938,236 times
From what I could figure out, mine was a piriformis muscle strain. The doctor I saw for it just had me point at the sore place, said it was probably a strain and to rest it (not exercise) for two weeks. He prescribed muscle relaxers for three days. At that point I hadn't been able to sleep for about a week, so the muscle relaxers helped with that. I did stretches to help with it and used my foam roller for my thighs, since the muscles in that leg felt very tight along with the back pain.

Sometimes you'll get pain from doing a new exercise called delayed onset muscle soreness, but usually for me that will happen the day after the new exercise, with the second day after the new exercise being the most sore. When I hurt my back, it started hurting a few hours after the activity that caused it, so I could tell it wasn't just the usual soreness that goes with exercise.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll just see what happens in the next few days since its not getting worse now. Hopefully, its nothing too terrible and can go away on its own but such a shame I'll have to rest in the meantime so nothing vigorous except walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss