Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What are you eating? I eat low carb, and I don't measure anything. If you get your calories from carbs, you will not lose weight.
False, false and false! Please do not spread misinformation like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 8,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I seriously doubt you are gaining that much muscle. For women it is very difficult to add muscle and takes lots of exercising of dedicated lifting and resistance training. Its a nice thought to think our progress is stalled because muscle is replacing the fat, but I am afraid the muscle gain on women, especially at the beginning of a program is negligible.
That's encouraging. What's your input on what's happening then

Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Where are you getting your calories from? I have found that unless I cut carbs drastically or all together, I won't lose weight or if I do, I'll lose it really slowly.
Oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, and chicken are 90% of my diet. Other than that, occasional granola bars, yogurt, and skinny pop popcorn, also almonds

Old 01-25-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terruhlynn View Post
That's encouraging. What's your input on what's happening then
I think you might be underestimating how many calories you are consuming. Also it could be hormones or your body is just not ready to let go of the fat. But it will, perseverance is the key to following and diet plan. Weight loss is not linear, so you will have no loss weeks and big loss weeks. As long as you stick to it. Focus on healthy fresh foods from all the food groups. Stay away from processed and fast foods. Limit sugar as much as possible.
Drink lots and lots of water, and keep your body moving. Good results are inevitable.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think you might be underestimating how many calories you are consuming. Also it could be hormones or your body is just not ready to let go of the fat. But it will, perseverance is the key to following and diet plan. Weight loss is not linear, so you will have no loss weeks and big loss weeks. As long as you stick to it. Focus on healthy fresh foods from all the food groups. Stay away from processed and fast foods. Limit sugar as much as possible.
Drink lots and lots of water, and keep your body moving. Good results are inevitable.
This is basically what I've been doing.. As I said earlier, I'll just need to step up my patience. Thanks

Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Its going to take more than 3 weeks to figure out your true BMR (with or without exercise) and how much calories its going to take to maintain, gain or lose weight. Don't be discourage because you're not seeing immediate results. Patience. Losing weight properly takes a significant amount of time and determination.

My best guess, is that you're consuming just enough calories to maintain your current weight. You might want to try shaving off 100-200 calories from your diet and see the outcome after a couple months.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:24 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Where are you getting your calories from? I have found that unless I cut carbs drastically or all together, I won't lose weight or if I do, I'll lose it really slowly.
This is also my experience. I can lose on higher calorie intake as long as I eliminate most carbs (and all sugar) from my diet.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, and chicken are 90% of my diet. Other than that, occasional granola bars, yogurt, and skinny pop popcorn, also almonds
Get rid of the oatmeal, fruit, granola bars, popcorn and other carbs. Replace with eggs, meat, poultry and fish.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Oatmeal, fruit, granola bars, yogurt and popcorn have a lot of carbs and sugars in them. Some vegetables are very starchy too - potatoes, beets, carrots. Also, almonds are healthy, but you really need to watch how many you eat. A handful can easily have two or three servings = a few hundred calories in them.

I would suggest tracking your food for a week. Like everything - counting almonds, etc. I think you may be consuming more than you think.

You could also cut carbs. Reduce the fruit to one piece a day or cut it out altogether for a few weeks and gradually add it back. Replace oatmeal with some eggs. Replace granola bars with cucumbers and a little hummus if you need a snack.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Unsweetened oatmeal is very healthy. Carrots, sweet potatoes and other orange foods are very good for you. Please do not buy into the eliminate certain foods from your diet.
You can experiment and see what works for you - everyone is different. But demonizing perfectly healthy foods benefits no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss