Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on taking charge of your health.

This may be portion control issue. Weighing food is good idea.

You may be mistaking granola as healthy, it really is not. Yogurt labels will tell you if your yogurt has added fructose... You do not want that. Look into getting your own yogurt maker. Oatmeal is tricky, read label....You want old fashioned non instant & do not add sugar or sweeteners. Look at dairy consumption. It might be good idea to use almond milk in your oatmeal. Popcorn needs be plain, few microwave popcorns are healthy.... old style plain popcorn airpopped with no salt no butter is great fiber.

You need to walk or treadmill at least an hour every day. Climbing stairs & bicycling either old fashioned way or on machines should be added after 3 weeks of walking. This will help your metabolism pick up the pace & pounds will drop off. The benefit of cardio in addition to weight loss is the stress reduction aspect. You need find exercise you will want to do daily & make it a part of your life.

You need think in terms of new lifelong habits & in taking care of yourself physically & mentally.

You also should go see your doc because you are looking at losing considerably more than 10% of your bodyweight. Also take at a minimum a daily multivitamin.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post

You may be mistaking granola as healthy, it really is not. Yogurt labels will tell you if your yogurt has added fructose... You do not want that. Look into getting your own yogurt maker. Oatmeal is tricky, read label....You want old fashioned non instant & do not add sugar or sweeteners. Look at dairy consumption. It might be good idea to use almond milk in your oatmeal. Popcorn needs be plain, few microwave popcorns are healthy.... old style plain popcorn airpopped with no salt no butter is great fiber.

You need to walk or treadmill at least an hour every day. Climbing stairs & bicycling either old fashioned way or on machines should be added after 3 weeks of walking. This will help your metabolism pick up the pace & pounds will drop off. The benefit of cardio in addition to weight loss is the stress reduction aspect. You need find exercise you will want to do daily & make it a part of your life.

You need think in terms of new lifelong habits & in taking care of yourself physically & mentally.

You also should go see your doc because you are looking at losing considerably more than 10% of your bodyweight. Also take at a minimum a daily multivitamin.

Good advice, but no need to walk on a treadmill for an hour. Talk about being bored to tears. 20 minutes is enough as long as the elevation and speed changes. Its easy to do HIIT on a treadmill which will burn many more calories than walking at a steady pace for an hour. Plus it builds cardiovascular health. She can certainly start biking or stair climbing now as well. Baby steps and moderation.
Steal cut oatmeal is ideal, but old fashioned rolled oats are good as well, and you can get the quick cooking ones. Fage plain greek yogurt with berries is a great snack.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM

13 posts, read 8,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post

Yogurt is rare for me but I'll definitely be paying attention to the yogurt I pick when I do eat it. I do eat that plain oatmeal not packaged flavored oatmeal. The popcorn isn't microwave it's plain and comes in a bag already popped.. Probably still not the best but my alternative to my previous severe potato chip addiction. Also the granola bars are nature valley oats and honey, again not the best but not the worst. And I really prefer jogging pace on my elliptical with varying resistance. I really enjoy it and look forward to doing it. I didn't mention I had double knee surgery two years ago because of bad cartilage between my knee caps so the low-impact workout on the elliptical is the best I've found for my knees. I can stay on it longer than I would a treadmill or running outside.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terruhlynn View Post
Yogurt is rare for me but I'll definitely be paying attention to the yogurt I pick when I do eat it. I do eat that plain oatmeal not packaged flavored oatmeal. The popcorn isn't microwave it's plain and comes in a bag already popped.. Probably still not the best but my alternative to my previous severe potato chip addiction. Also the granola bars are nature valley oats and honey, again not the best but not the worst. And I really prefer jogging pace on my elliptical with varying resistance. I really enjoy it and look forward to doing it. I didn't mention I had double knee surgery two years ago because of bad cartilage between my knee caps so the low-impact workout on the elliptical is the best I've found for my knees. I can stay on it longer than I would a treadmill or running outside.
If what you are eating now is not leading to the desired results you have to do something different.

Perhaps oatmeal is healthy, but that doesn't mean it's good for weight loss. There are plenty of foods that are healthy that aren't great for people who want to lose weight. Healthy is not the same thing as promoting weight loss.

You say the popcorn and granola are not the worst but they clearly aren't helping.

Try something different.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 8,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If what you are eating now is not leading to the desired results you have to do something different.

Perhaps oatmeal is healthy, but that doesn't mean it's good for weight loss. There are plenty of foods that are healthy that aren't great for people who want to lose weight. Healthy is not the same thing as promoting weight loss.

You say the popcorn and granola are not the worst but they clearly aren't helping.

Try something different.
So I'm supposed to eat bland eggs and fish (which I hate), and lettuce (which I already eat a lot of), and cut out things I like that aren't unhealthy? It doesn't seem like that would be very sustainable. I've already cut out all fried food, all "junk" food, and a lot of unhealthy things I used to frequently eat. Making this change in diet even more drastic would most likely lead to me going crazy and breaking my diet completely.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
So I'm supposed to eat bland eggs and fish (which I hate), and lettuce (which I already eat a lot of), and cut out things I like that aren't unhealthy? It doesn't seem like that would be very sustainable. I've already cut out all fried food, all "junk" food, and a lot of unhealthy things I used to frequently eat. Making this change in diet even more drastic would most likely lead to me going crazy and breaking my diet completely.
No, I believe Momma is saying eat what you like, but do change things up if you're not getting the results you're hoping for. As she said about oatmeal, I've learned that while it is touted for being healthy, I'm not going to eat it because I do not like it. Good for you for cutting out unhealthy things, now you just need to keep at it and figure out what you can do to find the foods you like in the correct portions in order to lose weight, and maintain the loss for the rest of your life.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:59 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Quote:
No, yuck! I don't eat eggs and I absolutely hate fish. Can't stand the smell of those nasty things.

You need to cut out what you know you can live without. Me, personally, could never, absolutely NEVER cut out pasta. I live on pasta. I've learned to eat smaller portion sizes. I've learned to sometimes substitute with the spiralized zucchini, but will ALWAYS eat pasta at least twice a week. It's who I am.

I cut out bread for 7 years (started eating it again when I got pregnant in 2007). That was great. No pizza, no cookies, no bagels, no buns on burgers... But you can scrape the healthy veggies off the pizza and put them on lettuce for a pizza salad. You can wrap your burger in a leaf of lettuce or put it between two halves of a bell pepper. Putting any sandwich stuff on a bell pepper is great as it meets the crunchy needs as well, and the red are the sweeter ones.

You do NOT need to cut out all the things you love because that will cause you to slip and gain all the weight back when you start eating it all again. I eat bread every so often and it doesn't have the effect on me like it did 10-15 years ago. When I get a hankerin' (southern word) for a peanut butter sandwich, it's mostly the peanut butter I want so I put it on celery. There are tons of substitutes to make your cravings more healthy. Cream cheese goes well on celery instead of a bagel as another example.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Eat what you like in a calorie deficit. If you don't like eggs and fish don't eat them. Eat chicken and pork chops and steak and pasta. It's science, calories in vs. calories out. Join My Fitness Pal to get a good calorie recommendation and macros. Log your foods and be patient.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
No. What you are doing now isn't working. Try something different if you want to lose weight. It doesn't have to be my version of something different but what you are doing now isn't working.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 AM

85 posts, read 79,744 times
Ok I'm going to weigh in here, surprised that no one has mentioned going to the doctor to see you TSH, T4 and other levels of thyroid functioning. Many people laugh when someone mentions that they can't lose weight because of their thyroid, they CAN but it is more difficult and you can be doing all the "right" things and not have the weight come off. Look into articles about hypothyroidism and dieting. But first see a doctor. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss