Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 5,040,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the health claims on oatmeal are either outdated, skewed, blindly accepted..maybe a little bit of all of the above. I think it's healthier than a donut but not much. I have a suspicion that a lot of people, not all, feel 'full' on oatmeal due to the placebo effect. It's been hammered into our heads forever that oatmeal is low glycemic, high fiber, very good for the heart, filling ect. I just don't buy it anymore, not from my experience.

There was a short period in my life where I used to have a large bowl of oatmeal every night with nuts and frozen fruit. It sounds crazy healthy, but I'd always be starving 45 minutes later, often going back for a 2nd or even 3rd bowl and I never understood why until a few years ago.
I look at oatmeal as slightly better than other starches, but still a starch (a concept that some people on this thread are having trouble grasping). As far as satiety, effects on energy and mood, etc., it's hardly different than having a bagel or cereal. I do believe it's a bit better for the digestive tract than other starches so I eat it, but only if I want a starch. And, to come back to the topic of the thread, I never eat starches first thing in the morning, I eat eggs/meat or I wait to break my fast. I'll actually have oatmeal at lunch sometimes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 11,175 times
If I ate a protein rich breakfast I normally won't get hungry until late lunch time, but if I ate a carb loaded breakfast I felt like eating again very soon, maybe it's something to do with the carb affecting our blood sugar level.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 915,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
If I ate a protein rich breakfast I normally won't get hungry until late lunch time, but if I ate a carb loaded breakfast I felt like eating again very soon, maybe it's something to do with the carb affecting our blood sugar level.
According to some our bodies are more sensitive to insulin in the morning. Carbs are great for later in the day but should be avoided for breakfast

And there's plenty of people who support pushing breakfast back 4 to 6 hours upon waking. It's the most important meal of the day only on the sense that if you don't break your fast you'll die.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,905,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
According to some our bodies are more sensitive to insulin in the morning. Carbs are great for later in the day but should be avoided for breakfast

And there's plenty of people who support pushing breakfast back 4 to 6 hours upon waking. It's the most important meal of the day only on the sense that if you don't break your fast you'll die.
I have been skipping breakfast and not eating until lunch time. For me that is usually 6 hours after I get up in the morning.

I feel better and have more energy in the morning, and don't get hungry mid-morning like I did when I ate breakfast.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:46 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,521,672 times
I've always been very nervous about skipping breakfast, considering my job is a "thinking" job, and if I'm starving, my mind is not going to be on my work. Of course, there has been the rare occasion where I didn't have time to eat breakfast, and was OK until near lunch time.

I agree with some others about the oatmeal. I feel much more satisfied if I can eat eggs in the morning rather than oatmeal. Eggs and toast.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:49 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,642,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I feel like that about breakfast. It's like there's a seal on my stomach when I wake up. If I eat something, I pop the seal and then I'm hungry all day, but if I don't eat breakfast, I don't get hungry until afternoon.

A lot of days I don't eat until dinnertime.

Blueberries will not generally cause a sugar spike.
Yup.

Me, too.

The longer I go without eating, the less hungry I am all day long.

It's weird. But true.

Besides bacon, I don't like breakfast foods anyway.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,453,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Eating oatmeal (old fashioned oats without adding sugar) topped with fresh blueberries. I don't do donuts, bagels, toast or pastries.

I don't drink coffee so normally all I have before lunch is a couple bottles of water. Until I started making an attempt to eat breakfast, that is.

Would the natural sugar in the blueberries cause a sugar spike?
I had the same issue by feeling like I hadn't eaten anything by 10. So I stopped, and my weight is still stable.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,521,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.

Me, too.

The longer I go without eating, the less hungry I am all day long.

It's weird. But true.

Besides bacon, I don't like breakfast foods anyway.
My problem is that I LOVE breakfast food! Heck, I could eat it any time of the day!

Which just dawned on me, maybe I should skip breakfast and just have it for lunch?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
I'm the same. I get up around six and don't hungry until 10 or 11am. I figured it was the coffee.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss