Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 8,205 times

Advertisements

I've never been a breakfast eater either. I just wake up early enough to go to the gym, come home and shower before work then go to work. So lately I've been eating protein bars for breakfast or a protein shake on my drive to work to hold me over till lunch which really helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM

1,098 posts, read 909,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Eating oatmeal (old fashioned oats without adding sugar) topped with fresh blueberries. I don't do donuts, bagels, toast or pastries.

I don't drink coffee so normally all I have before lunch is a couple bottles of water. Until I started making an attempt to eat breakfast, that is.

Would the natural sugar in the blueberries cause a sugar spike?
Some people may be different, but oatmeal spikes my bloodsugar like crazy and insulin sensitivity is even higher in the mornings. I remember back in the day I would eat 3 or 4 bowls of that stuff and be starving 45 minutes later. Oatmeal might work for some but I wouldn't recommend it. And like others have mentioned, it's perfectly healthy to skip breakfast

Like others have said, If you're going to eat in the morning you should be taking in a lot of fat and protein. Lean more towards bacon, eggs, coconut oil, avocados, spinach, butter ect and less towards bagels and cereal (even the kind that claims to be healthy, it's not)

Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,716,906 times
Quote:
If I don't eat breakfast I don't get hungry until lunch. And that is like asking my body to go 16 hours without eating, yet I don't feel hungry.

I think I am going back to skipping breakfast.
I started a thread awhile back on this same subject. It was true for me as well.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 PM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
Yeah, try eating something that has quiet a bit of fat and protein.....this combo usually does not cause you to be more hungry.

For me, eating a low-fat/high-carb meal will make me ravenous, in short order.....YMMV.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 AM

50,456 posts, read 64,308,089 times
Quote:
Eating oatmeal (old fashioned oats without adding sugar) topped with fresh blueberries. I don't do donuts, bagels, toast or pastries.

I don't drink coffee so normally all I have before lunch is a couple bottles of water. Until I started making an attempt to eat breakfast, that is.

Would the natural sugar in the blueberries cause a sugar spike?
Oatmeal and berries are nothing but carbs. To your body its practically the same as eating a couple of donuts. Try an experiment. Instead of eating that, eat one or two hardboiled eggs, and/or some meat or cheese. You will see the difference. Your body burns through carbs very quickly and that's why you get hungry.

One serving of oatmeal, and some berries would amount to all the carbs I allow myself for the whole day.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,849,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oatmeal and berries are nothing but carbs. To your body its practically the same as eating a couple of donuts. Try an experiment. Instead of eating that, eat one or two hardboiled eggs, and/or some meat or cheese. You will see the difference. Your body burns through carbs very quickly and that's why you get hungry.

One serving of oatmeal, and some berries would amount to all the carbs I allow myself for the whole day.
Eating unsweetened oatmeal is not the same as eating donuts. Sheesh. The amount of fiber in oatmeal and blueberries is very high, and fiber is one of THE most important things we humans need to eat. Fiber varies but we need both soluble in insoluble so. Whole grains provide lots of fiber and also minerals and nutrients. Donuts have zero of everything except sugar and saturated fat. Very low carb works for some and not others. I cannot function for very long if all I eat is protein for breakfast. Makes me feel like crap. I forced myself to do it for 6 months - for me I need those carbs, but I also need protein as well. I would NEVER eat donuts, but I do eat oatmeal. I have NO issues. So you see, not everyone is the same.
Some people do not want to eat breakfast, and contrary to people insisting that breakfast must be eaten, it does not.
It is so important for people to listen to their own bodies and figure out what works, instead of all the noise from around them from people saying what works for them is the best way to go.
So I agree that an experiment is good to do to see what works.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 AM

50,456 posts, read 64,308,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Eating unsweetened oatmeal is not the same as eating donuts. Sheesh. The amount of fiber in oatmeal and blueberries is very high, and fiber is one of THE most important things we humans need to eat. Fiber varies but we need both soluble in insoluble so. Whole grains provide lots of fiber and also minerals and nutrients. Donuts have zero of everything except sugar and saturated fat. Very low carb works for some and not others. I cannot function for very long if all I eat is protein for breakfast. Makes me feel like crap. I forced myself to do it for 6 months - for me I need those carbs, but I also need protein as well. I would NEVER eat donuts, but I do eat oatmeal. I have NO issues. So you see, not everyone is the same.
Some people do not want to eat breakfast, and contrary to people insisting that breakfast must be eaten, it does not.
It is so important for people to listen to their own bodies and figure out what works, instead of all the noise from around them from people saying what works for them is the best way to go.
So I agree that an experiment is good to do to see what works.
Of course, oatmeal has health benefits that donuts do not, but the OP wanted to know why he is hungry, and he is hungry because the body burns through carbs at warp speed, and then wants more.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,849,404 times
Quote:
Of course, oatmeal has health benefits that donuts do not, but the OP wanted to know why he is hungry, and he is hungry because the body burns through carbs at warp speed, and then wants more.
Maybe that is the case maybe that is not. Everyone is different, and oatmeal does not metabolize the same way as a donut.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 909,602 times
Quote:

I sometimes wonder if the health claims on oatmeal are either outdated, skewed, blindly accepted..maybe a little bit of all of the above. I think it's healthier than a donut but not much. I have a suspicion that a lot of people, not all, feel 'full' on oatmeal due to the placebo effect. It's been hammered into our heads forever that oatmeal is low glycemic, high fiber, very good for the heart, filling ect. I just don't buy it anymore, not from my experience.

There was a short period in my life where I used to have a large bowl of oatmeal every night with nuts and frozen fruit. It sounds crazy healthy, but I'd always be starving 45 minutes later, often going back for a 2nd or even 3rd bowl and I never understood why until a few years ago.

Last edited by Jame22; 02-01-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 07:25 PM

380 posts, read 655,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the health claims on oatmeal are either outdated, skewed, blindly accepted..maybe a little bit of all of the above. I think it's healthier than a donut but not much. I have a suspicion that a lot of people, not all, feel 'full' on oatmeal due to the placebo effect. It's been hammered into our heads forever that oatmeal is low glycemic, high fiber, very good for the heart, filling ect. I just don't buy it anymore, not from my experience.

There was a short period in my life where I used to have a large bowl of oatmeal every night with nuts and frozen fruit. It sounds crazy healthy, but I'd always be starving 45 minutes later, often going back for a 2nd or even 3rd bowl and I never understood why until a few years ago.
Weird. I eat oatmeal every morning at about 8, along with a handful of nuts, cracked flaxseed, and banana, and I'm full until lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss