Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She stated her body fat was 25%, that is all that is needed to know.

She is at 25% body fat...that is too high. She did not say she wanted to lose weight, she stated she wanted to lose eight pounds of fat.
Too high for what? Too high to be a bodybuilder, yeah. Too high to be a sumo wrestler, no. Too high to be a Vogue cover model, yes. Too high to be a plus-size model, no. Too high to be healthy, no.

BMI doesn't mean all that much, it is only one measure of fitness, and cannot stand alone. Height, weight, age, overall health, lifestyle choices, food choices, those are all measures of fitness, and they're not the only ones either.

Also, if you are to go by her actual information - she weighs 135 and is 5'4" - then her BMI is only 23.2 - well within the normal range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Too high for what? Too high to be a bodybuilder, yeah. Too high to be a sumo wrestler, no. Too high to be a Vogue cover model, yes. Too high to be a plus-size model, no. Too high to be healthy, no.

BMI doesn't mean all that much, it is only one measure of fitness, and cannot stand alone. Height, weight, age, overall health, lifestyle choices, food choices, those are all measures of fitness, and they're not the only ones either.

Also, if you are to go by her actual information - she weighs 135 and is 5'4" - then her BMI is only 23.2 - well within the normal range.
BMI is not the same as body fat percent. She stated specifically body fat percent.

25 is too high, as in too high to be healthy and for her since she expressed direct interest in losing fat, not weight. If she would have said her body fat is 8 percent, the advice would have been different, and no one would have stated her fat percent is too high.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
25% is not high for a woman. It's not even close to being unhealthy.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
25% is not high for a woman. It's not even close to being unhealthy.
You are correct, I was thinking for men when writing. But still, 25 is at the end of the spectrum for what is considered a healthy percent, so it is not "even close" as you said, it is very close to the unhealthy area.

In any case, the OP wants to drop fat percent.

Last edited by boxus; 02-06-2016 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are correct, I was thinking for men when writing. But still, 25 is at the end of the spectrum for what is considered a healthy percent, so it is not "even close" as you said, it is very close to the unhealthy area.

In any case, the OP wants to drop fat percent.
Then really all she needs to do is reduce her starch intake (not overall carbs - just starch), and increase her weight training. She'll build muscle, while not gaining fat, and her ratio will change.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Then really all she needs to do is reduce her starch intake (not overall carbs - just starch), and increase her weight training. She'll build muscle, while not gaining fat, and her ratio will change.
Yea, the OP is really on top of it, the advice given to her is good, but I think she already has it down on what needs to be done. Her timing may be a little aggressive, but that is OK, just as long as she is not the type to give up after not making the goal in the time she allotted, which she does not seem the type given the info she provided.

I think she just needs to keep sticking with what she is doing, and maybe extending that timeline out more. Going from 25% to 18% is an easy goal to achieve and maintain, relative to going from 18% to 14% for example.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
What do you mean by just starch and not overall carbs? I thought carbs and starch were the same thing?

I don't eat bread, pasta, or potatoes btw. Sometimes I have rice crackers, rice/rice noodles, popcorn, apple sauce or oatmeal. I crave a bag of potato chips about once every couple of weeks. I think my biggest culprit for carbs are fruit. I love fruit and since they're healthy I forget about the carbs aspect. I used to eat about 2-3 apples/oranges/pears/peaches a day. I've been cutting back since measuring the ratios.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 02-09-2016 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
What do you mean by just starch and not overall carbs? I thought carbs and starch were the same thing?

I don't eat bread, pasta, or potatoes btw. Sometimes I have rice crackers, rice/rice noodles, popcorn, apple sauce or oatmeal. I crave a bag of potato chips about once every couple of weeks. I think my biggest culprit for carbs are fruit. I love fruit and since they're healthy I forget about the carbs aspect. I used to eat about 2-3 apples/oranges/pears/peaches a day. I've been cutting back since measuring the ratios.
Carbs and starch are not the same thing.

Starch is one type of carbohydrate. Sugar is another type of carbohydrate. Cellulose is a third type of carbohydrate. So:

Anything containing fiber - contains carbs.
Anything containing sugar - contains carbs.
Anything containing starch - contains carbs.

Examples:

Corn - contains all three in significantly measurable amounts. Corn is a fibrous food, high in sugar and starch.

Bread - mostly starch, with some fiber, and not much (but some) sugar.

An orange - mostly sugar and fiber (unless you drink orange juice without the pulp), no starch.

Potato chips are mostly starch.

A peach is mostly sugar and fiber, no starch.

Asparagus is mostly fiber.

Broccoli has plenty of fiber.

ALL of these things contain carbs in varying amounts.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:35 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
^Ahh... gotcha.

Just weighed myself today. I'm at 132.2. Average carbs: protein:fat intake over the span of 9 days is 145:148:61 at 1744 calories. Looks like I need to drop carbs a bit.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Well they don't work on their own. They're supposed to be a boost to your regimen. i have been working out and eating healthy for years and still not seeing the results I want so I'm going to give this a try.
eat more protein to replace some carb intake...

drink lots of water with lemon or lime slices

feel good about your progress,,,use it for future motivation,,

some days will be harder than others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss