Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:04 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
BMI is not perfect, but I suspect the article is overstating how imperfect it is, and I am unable to link to the actual report. The article states 47% of those in the overweight strata of BMI were judged healthy, but it does not specify what percentage of those that were in the obese and above stratas were judged healthy, my guess is it was pretty low.

More importantly weight and height are easy to measure, the lab work required for the additional criteria would be prohibitive for most people. And I personally think cholesterol levels are vastly over rated as an indicator of health.
Furthermore, it may not be perfect, but what is going to replace it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The Wellness Program where I used to work used both BMI and WHR (Waist Hip Ratio). They not only put employees on a scale, but they also got out a tape measure to measure everyone's waists and hips. They said the WHR was more accurate to determine being overweight and at "risk" of a heart attack (Apple, Pear Shaped people).
In most studies they find WHR is a better predictor for problems. It is also easy to test. Why not use that.
Waist to height ratio 'more accurate than BMI' - Telegraph

Old 02-08-2016, 01:36 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In most studies they find WHR is a better predictor for problems. It is also easy to test. Why not use that.
Waist to height ratio 'more accurate than BMI' - Telegraph
I disagree with this, too.

I am 5'4", and when I was a young woman, my waist was 22", and now at 62, it is still "only" 26 inches. According to the following calculator, I was "abnormally slim to underweight", and I am now, supposedly, "extremely slim". Yeah, right . . . in my dreams!! Although I had and still have an hourglass shape, my legs have almost always been very heavy and fatty, and so have my upper arms, although to a lesser extent.

Waist To Height Ratio Calculator - Assess Your Lifestyle Risk

I think that as long as you can walk up two or three flights of stairs without pausing for breath, your blood pressure is normal, and as long as your doctor says your health is fine, then that should be enough!

Last edited by katharsis; 02-08-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It is a medical fact that being overweight (however one defines this) DOES lead to a variety of medical conditions - heart diesese, diabeates, HBP, back, hip, knee problems, problems getting on SW Airlines, etc.

Why is BMI an issue? If you think a BMI over 25 or 30 should not be "Obese" then fine ignore the boundary marker.

Anyone who stops to think about it knows that you are not going from Healthy at a BMI of 22 to Unhealthy at a BMI of 25.
People don't stop to think about it, though.

Its an issue because it is a population measure that is used for individual purposes. It works for a population because of average body compositions, etc, but for individual purposes it doesn't work necessarily.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:56 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
They need to stop using BMI and replace it with something that is actually useful. The man that coined the term "Body Mass Index" (Ancel Keys) never intended its use for individual diagnosis. It was intended as a practical way to assess the relationship between obesity and health across an entire population.
It's a good example of how medical theories become fads in the medical community, until they blow over and are either debunked, or replaced by the next fad. Dieting a few generations back used to be soundly based on avoiding "starches" (carbs). Then suddenly it became about calorie-counting. That doesn't work for people with certain medical profiles. Now it's back to lowering carbs.

I've had pharmacists tell me that the pharma industry develops new theories about approaches to certain conditions, and they send their reps around to doctors and pharmacies to "educate" them on "the latest research", pushing a new product. So suddenly, a new remedy or theory sweeps the medical community. Eventually, it's discovered that the one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work for a lot of clients, so some doctors break ranks, and eventually a new theory comes along. Unfortunately, it's the patients who end up losing in this process of pendulums swinging back, forth, and all around. Remember the different theories about what causes high cholesterol? First it was about eating too much fat, so low-fat diets became the thing. The few docs who held out, and said no, it was carbs, were considered quacks. Now it's widely accepted that it is, indeed, excessive carbs that causes high cholesterol, so low-carb diets are in vogue for that reason, as well as for general weight loss.

And around, and around we go.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
Most people don't want to do a bodyfat test and it's easier to check for your BMI. And most people don't workout or are physically active either. BMI is good enough for the general population.

Or maybe all scales should now come in Bodyfat format.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It is a medical fact that being overweight (however one defines this) DOES lead to a variety of medical conditions - heart diesese, diabeates, HBP, back, hip, knee problems, problems getting on SW Airlines, etc.

Why is BMI an issue? If you think a BMI over 25 or 30 should not be "Obese" then fine ignore the boundary marker.

Anyone who stops to think about it knows that you are not going from Healthy at a BMI of 22 to Unhealthy at a BMI of 25.
But the BMI is just a number, a number that people can change.
And overtime they change it healthy people become obese overnight.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Furthermore, it may not be perfect, but what is going to replace it?
Why replace it? If it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, why does it have to replaced, as opposed to just dropping it? It's like the ACA, with people saying 'and replace it with what?' It doesn't need to be replaced, it needs to be dumped.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:47 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,993 times
It is not perfect however it is a guide. Lets say you are 5 9 and a huge weightlifter you can easily be over BMI and be in fine shape. However most people are just out of shape. Go look at your average person and you will see what a mess most people are. I am 5ft 9in and weigh 155. I work out 7 days a week. 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights every day. I also take my dogs on long walks. Low carb and lean protein. You need to get moving.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
For the average sedentary American BMI is more than adequate. Being overweight is despite popular wishes never healthy.

I have an overweight BMI and have no dispute with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss