Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
John McDougall, MD is a medical expert and he has been offering his plant-based plan for more than 30 years. It's hardly a fad. In fact, other MD's and health care experts regularly train in his approach and go on to offer it to their patients.

Dr. McDougall has also been working hard in an effort to improve the abysmal level of training in nutrition presently received by physicians.

The plant-based plan is also supported by Drs. Dean Ornish, Caldweld Esselstyn, Neil Barnard (Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine), and Michael Greger, among others.

There are minor differences between their approaches, but they all rely upon solid research findings o the benefits of a plant-based diet. This can upset meat-eaters, but that's too bad.

Dr. Ornish has published studies to support the plant-based plan. Additionally, Medicare and some private insurers cover treatment at Ornish centers:
Find a Certified Provider | Ornish Lifestyle Medicine

Dr. Greger and a team of volunteers daily peruse peer-reviewed medical journals from around the world and incorporate their findings into recommendations.

Dr. Esselstyn is a former surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, and he has demonstrated reversal of heart disease, even in formerly "hopeless" cardiac patients who followed the plant-based plan. He now runs a medical nutrition clinic at the same place since he has retired as a surgeon.

They are all well-respected medical experts.

Finally, they are in agreement with T. Colin Campbell's research findings and recommendations regarding a plant-based approach. Dr. Campbell is a nutritional biochemist and the author of The China Study.
My dad tried the McDougall diet many years ago...must have been at least 25 years ago. He had to stop when he was diagnosed with diabetes. I did most of the cooking for the family at the time that we were on that diet...it was mainly the high-carb, no-fat mess that I believe has created the obesity epidemic in our country. I think my dad liked that diet because it had lots of beans, rice and potatoes. None of us did very well on it and many of the recipes were unappealing to the palate. Maybe it's been updated since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
John McDougall, MD is a medical expert and he has been offering his plant-based plan for more than 30 years. It's hardly a fad. In fact, other MD's and health care experts regularly train in his approach and go on to offer it to their patients.

Dr. McDougall has also been working hard in an effort to improve the abysmal level of training in nutrition presently received by physicians.

The plant-based plan is also supported by Drs. Dean Ornish, Caldweld Esselstyn, Neil Barnard (Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine), and Michael Greger, among others.

There are minor differences between their approaches, but they all rely upon solid research findings o the benefits of a plant-based diet. This can upset meat-eaters, but that's too bad.

Dr. Ornish has published studies to support the plant-based plan. Additionally, Medicare and some private insurers cover treatment at Ornish centers:
Find a Certified Provider | Ornish Lifestyle Medicine

Dr. Greger and a team of volunteers daily peruse peer-reviewed medical journals from around the world and incorporate their findings into recommendations.

Dr. Esselstyn is a former surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, and he has demonstrated reversal of heart disease, even in formerly "hopeless" cardiac patients who followed the plant-based plan. He now runs a medical nutrition clinic at the same place since he has retired as a surgeon.

They are all well-respected medical experts.

Finally, they are in agreement with T. Colin Campbell's research findings and recommendations regarding a plant-based approach. Dr. Campbell is a nutritional biochemist and the author of The China Study.
I can't control myself, I must comment on this...

Esselstyn saw improvement in heart disease in his study, yes. But, he compared people eating a processed foods diet to a diet heavy in vegetables. Anyone could have guessed people eating a lot of vegetables would fare better. What Esselstyn didn't do was compare people on a plant based diet to those on a low-carb diet. I would wager my house that if he had, he would have seen the low-carb group would have done better.

Also, I'm to lazy to get into it, but there are plenty of problems with the China Study.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/will-...#axzz42WnH091O

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

Old 03-10-2016, 03:35 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
100lbs overweight (280lbs,5'7")and having major mobility issues,in fact i feel out of gas physically and mentally all the time, at 68 years old i think i'm a bit young to start identifying with my 600lb life.
So its all about diet and exercise, I go to the gymn every morning for a half hour then 3X a week follow that with an hour in the pool.
My problem is with the food, although i feel i'm eating healthy i'm obviously eating too much of it, for a year now i've cut out all wheat based products and all dairy and all alcohol and gone to a mostly vegetarian regime yet the lbs continue to mount time for a bit more extreme measures. Breakfast now consists of a fat,sick and nearly Dead type juice, lunch will be a fruit and vegetable smoothie and supper will be a bowl of bean soup,no in-between meal snacks.
Well its 11am and i'm starving. to lose this debilitating weight is my only option to get used to feeling starved all the time?
1st you need to figure out how many calories a day you should be eating.

2nd you should totally overhaul your diet.

There are online calcs (google them) that can calculate your suggested calorie intake per day to maintain your weight. Take that number and cut it by 15%. Thats a great place to start to see if you need to adjust it later.

Ditch the juices completely. You juice and wind up sucking up tons of calories and your blood sugar spikes and you feel great for a few hours. Then your blood sugar crashes and you feel tired and hungry well before you should be eating.

You should seriously do a Keto diet. To lose weight you have to run a calorie deficit. The easiest way for people to run a calorie deficit is by doing very low carb intake. The Keto diet is pretty easy to do and tons of people use it to lose weight and improve several key blood test number. You can do this diet and not feel hungry all the time. It takes a week or two to get into it and get past the initial transition but once you do, the pounds will fall off.

ruled.me has some great tips and an excellent 4 week meal plan. Its dead simple. The only thing you need to do is adjust the portion size. Once you get 2 weeks into it if the weight isn't coming off then you should reduce your calorie intake by 10% more. Eventually you will get it down right. As you lose weight you will need to cut further. You should not be hungry (at least until you start doing the optional intermittent fasting) but you should be losing weight. Let your hunger and your weight loss guide how many calories you eat.

The meal plan is free....looks like you have to pay but its a donation. Its so excellent I recommend you donate a little as you see fit. There are other resources there such as more recipes and stuff.

Fats fill you up and are healthy. (good fats like nuts, avacados, coconut, beef, pork, butter etc) Think natural fats.

Carbs spike your blood sugar, lead to insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes), wreak havok on your blood work. You blood sugar spiking up and then crashing is whats preventing your weight loss and causing your hunger.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
1st you need to figure out how many calories a day you should be eating.

2nd you should totally overhaul your diet.

There are online calcs (google them) that can calculate your suggested calorie intake per day to maintain your weight. Take that number and cut it by 15%. Thats a great place to start to see if you need to adjust it later.

Ditch the juices completely. You juice and wind up sucking up tons of calories and your blood sugar spikes and you feel great for a few hours. Then your blood sugar crashes and you feel tired and hungry well before you should be eating.

You should seriously do a Keto diet. To lose weight you have to run a calorie deficit. The easiest way for people to run a calorie deficit is by doing very low carb intake. The Keto diet is pretty easy to do and tons of people use it to lose weight and improve several key blood test number. You can do this diet and not feel hungry all the time. It takes a week or two to get into it and get past the initial transition but once you do, the pounds will fall off.

ruled.me has some great tips and an excellent 4 week meal plan. Its dead simple. The only thing you need to do is adjust the portion size. Once you get 2 weeks into it if the weight isn't coming off then you should reduce your calorie intake by 10% more. Eventually you will get it down right. As you lose weight you will need to cut further. You should not be hungry (at least until you start doing the optional intermittent fasting) but you should be losing weight. Let your hunger and your weight loss guide how many calories you eat.

The meal plan is free....looks like you have to pay but its a donation. Its so excellent I recommend you donate a little as you see fit. There are other resources there such as more recipes and stuff.

Fats fill you up and are healthy. (good fats like nuts, avacados, coconut, beef, pork, butter etc) Think natural fats.

Carbs spike your blood sugar, lead to insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes), wreak havok on your blood work. You blood sugar spiking up and then crashing is whats preventing your weight loss and causing your hunger.
My advice to people who switch to a low carb diet is to do it in two steps. First, ditch the carbs and eat a low carb diet. Reduce carbs (net of fiber) to whatever level you decide (usually 20-50) and eat a diet of protein, fat and vegetables. During this time do not worry about calories. Eat until you are satisfied (which does not mean as much as you possibly can eat).

Do this for about 2 weeks. After two weeks see how much weight you have lost. At this point your body should be adapted to being in ketosis. If you have not lost much weight in the first two weeks you should reduce your calorie intake. Many times your calorie intake adjusts itself. Most people are much less hungry when they are in ketosis.

ruled me is a good site. I also like Low Carb Recipes - I Breathe I'm Hungry for recipes.

I would like to see the OP eat more food.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've never liked milk,find cheese is fattening,yogurt disgusting and icecream to sweet and also fattening.
Coincidentally i spent 35 years working in a large dairy processing plant where my take on milk is its fine for baby cows and not genetically designed for human consumption.
To add/ this is my own dietary lifestyle at the moment i'm not following any one elses plan/diet
It may seem some what extreme but my extra weight is literally killing me and impacting many aspects of my physical well being. my point for the topic was to see what others in the same predicament did to stave off the hunger in their efforts at major weight loss.
Good news i'm down 10lbs.
Congratulations on losing your first 10 lbs. Whatever you are doing is starting to work. I hope you can figure out something so you aren't hungry.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:10 PM

380 posts, read 652,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My dad tried the McDougall diet many years ago...must have been at least 25 years ago. He had to stop when he was diagnosed with diabetes. I did most of the cooking for the family at the time that we were on that diet...it was mainly the high-carb, no-fat mess that I believe has created the obesity epidemic in our country. I think my dad liked that diet because it had lots of beans, rice and potatoes. None of us did very well on it and many of the recipes were unappealing to the palate. Maybe it's been updated since then.
That stinks. I did the McDougall plan about 18 months ago and lost 35 pounds at a really good clip. Have kept it off too, and I love the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss