Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

The problem with a drastic diet that doesn't contain the foods you usually like to eat is that you can't stay on it forever. You'll lose weight eating the way that you are, but at some point it will probably feel too difficult to keep eating that way and then since you haven't learned to eat less of your usual foods, you'll revert to old habits and the weight will come back.

Are you making your morning juice in a juicer or a blender? I'm wondering if you're straining out all the pulp, which is the fiber in vegetables that makes you feel full. Also, you might consider adding some protein powder if you're determined to continue with the juices and the smoothies...I buy unflavored protein powder that mixes well with most things, rather than the sweetened flavored powders. It still digests faster than a regular meal and might leave you feeling hungry.

Also, don't try to eliminate fat from your diet. It fills you up and helps slow digestion of carbs, which will help reduce sugar spikes, which will help reduce hunger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've never liked milk,find cheese is fattening,yogurt disgusting and icecream to sweet and also fattening.
Coincidentally i spent 35 years working in a large dairy processing plant where my take on milk is its fine for baby cows and not genetically designed for human consumption.
To add/ this is my own dietary lifestyle at the moment i'm not following any one elses plan/diet
It may seem some what extreme but my extra weight is literally killing me and impacting many aspects of my physical well being. my point for the topic was to see what others in the same predicament did to stave off the hunger in their efforts at major weight loss.
Good news i'm down 10lbs.

When was the last time you saw your PCP and had a full blood work done ( including a check of your vitamin D levels)? I would start there and when you get your results, ask for a referral to a good nutritionist to help you come up with a print out of good meal plans specific to your needs and goals.

You really need to know your specific health issues to determine the best healthy way to reach your goals. A nutritionist can test your metabolic rate to give you a good idea of how many calories you should be consuming everyday and the balance of protein /fats/ carbs you need at each meal.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Well its 11am and i'm starving. to lose this debilitating weight is my only option to get used to feeling starved all the time?
I'm assuming you have been checked out by your doctor. There is no need to starve yourself in order to lose weight. That type of approach is bound to fail. You need to eat more of the right things and stop dieting.

Look at the McDougall Plan (Plant-based High Carb/Low Fat/Low Sugar):
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Also, go to YouTube and review some of Dr. McDougall's videos. he word "Diet" is in the titles of the following videos, but the McDougall Plan is not about dieting, but changing your lifestyle regarding food. You can eat lots of potatoes, rice, beans, corn, oats, veggies and some fruit without counting calories. Processed foods are out, as well as oils and sugar.

The McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1udAyTEtT8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHv6t8x0b6A

Last edited by pacific2; 03-09-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
These juices and smoothies are 80% vegetable ingredients and not all sugary fruit drinks. As an example my breakfast juice recipe=
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 8 celery stalks
  • 2 apples
  • 10 leaves kale with stalks
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 in (5 cm) piece of ginger
  • 2 carrots
Lunch is similar to breakfast but a smoothie instead of a juice with nuts or peanut butter added.
Supper is a sensible low calorie meal. No in between meal snacks and no food after supper.
As for the advice to eat meat and dairy and grains with the idea of slowly losing weight?thanks but i've been doing that for 15 years and i continue to gain weight,.. .
Just so you know, the apples and carrots alone are more than 50 gr. of carbs, not even counting the lemon or other things, which is twice the daily carbs I allow myself. There is a small amount of protein, but hardly enough to stick with you for more than a few hours. Instead, have 2 hard boiled eggs, at zero carbs, and you won't be hungry. If you really enjoy the smoothie, find a way to make it without the apples, and have the eggs with it.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just so you know, the apples and carrots alone are more than 50 gr. of carbs, not even counting the lemon or other things, which is twice the daily carbs I allow myself. There is a small amount of protein, but hardly enough to stick with you for more than a few hours. Instead, have 2 hard boiled eggs, at zero carbs, and you won't be hungry. If you really enjoy the smoothie, find a way to make it without the apples, and have the eggs with it.
Being that low carb may not be the answer and apples and carrots are very healthy and have lots of fiber and are packed with nutrients. Stuff your body needs. I would say skip juicing and just eat the fruit & veggies whole. Carbs really are not the enemy, especially when they are in fruit or veggie form.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:44 AM

OP, if you do actually follow the McDougall Plan, please be sure to see your doctor for regular checkups, since he will likely have to eliminate or reduce any cholesterol-lowering, high blood pressure or anti-diabetic medications you may be taking.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
These juices and smoothies are 80% vegetable ingredients and not all sugary fruit drinks. As an example my breakfast juice recipe=
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 8 celery stalks
  • 2 apples
  • 10 leaves kale with stalks
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 in (5 cm) piece of ginger
  • 2 carrots
Lunch is similar to breakfast but a smoothie instead of a juice with nuts or peanut butter added.
Supper is a sensible low calorie meal.No in between meal snacks and no food after supper.
As for the advice to eat meat and dairy and grains with the idea of slowly losing weight?thanks but i've been doing that for 15 years and i continue to gain weight,.. .
I would lose the grains but you need to eat more than just vegetables. Eat some meat, with some fat in addition to your vegetables. You're hungry because you aren't eating enough.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:57 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Uck, I would be STARVING, very angry and possibly hunting-humans on the typical-diet the OP describes.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uck, I would be STARVING, very angry and possibly hunting-humans on the typical-diet the OP describes.
I suggest picking out the authors of the fad diet books being recommended by various other people in this thread as the first targets! :-P

Here's some information about recognizing unhealthy diets, from sources who are medical experts instead of folks trying to make a buck by promoting their pet theories to people desperate for an easy way to lose weight:

Nutrition for Weight Loss: What You Need to Know About Fad Diets
Fad Diets: Why They Don't Work & What To Do Instead
Fad Diets
UHS - Fad Diets
https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/faddiets.pdf

Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I suggest picking out the authors of the fad diet books being recommended by various other people in this thread as the first targets! :-P

Here's some information about recognizing unhealthy diets, from sources who are medical experts instead of folks trying to make a buck by promoting their pet theories to people desperate for an easy way to lose weight:

Nutrition for Weight Loss: What You Need to Know About Fad Diets
Fad Diets: Why They Don't Work & What To Do Instead
Fad Diets
UHS - Fad Diets
https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/faddiets.pdf
John McDougall, MD is a medical expert and he has been offering his plant-based plan for more than 30 years. It's hardly a fad. In fact, other MD's and health care experts regularly train in his approach and go on to offer it to their patients.

Dr. McDougall has also been working hard in an effort to improve the abysmal level of training in nutrition presently received by physicians.

The plant-based plan is also supported by Drs. Dean Ornish, Caldweld Esselstyn, Neil Barnard (Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine), and Michael Greger, among others.

There are minor differences between their approaches, but they all rely upon solid research findings o the benefits of a plant-based diet. This can upset meat-eaters, but that's too bad.

Dr. Ornish has published studies to support the plant-based plan. Additionally, Medicare and some private insurers cover treatment at Ornish centers:
Find a Certified Provider | Ornish Lifestyle Medicine

Dr. Greger and a team of volunteers daily peruse peer-reviewed medical journals from around the world and incorporate their findings into recommendations.

Dr. Esselstyn is a former surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, and he has demonstrated reversal of heart disease, even in formerly "hopeless" cardiac patients who followed the plant-based plan. He now runs a medical nutrition clinic at the same place since he has retired as a surgeon.

They are all well-respected medical experts.

Finally, they are in agreement with T. Colin Campbell's research findings and recommendations regarding a plant-based approach. Dr. Campbell is a nutritional biochemist and the author of The China Study.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-09-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss