Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,464,302 times

Advertisements

100lbs overweight (280lbs,5'7")and having major mobility issues,in fact i feel out of gas physically and mentally all the time, at 68 years old i think i'm a bit young to start identifying with my 600lb life.
So its all about diet and exercise, I go to the gymn every morning for a half hour then 3X a week follow that with an hour in the pool.
My problem is with the food, although i feel i'm eating healthy i'm obviously eating too much of it, for a year now i've cut out all wheat based products and all dairy and all alcohol and gone to a mostly vegetarian regime yet the lbs continue to mount time for a bit more extreme measures. Breakfast now consists of a fat,sick and nearly Dead type juice, lunch will be a fruit and vegetable smoothie and supper will be a bowl of bean soup,no in-between meal snacks.
Well its 11am and i'm starving. to lose this debilitating weight is my only option to get used to feeling starved all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,850,428 times
You are not eating enough! You need a lot more protein in your diet. Is there a reason you are not eating dairy? Real yogurt, full fat is a great protein source and is filled with probiotics.
You need more than juice to get you by in the morning. You need protein. Trade in your veggie smoothie for real food you can chew. The smoothie, while good every now and again is robbing you from the fiber in those veggies. Again, you need protein.

You need to rethink your whole diet. You do not need to starve to lose weight. Fat and protein are your friends. Whole veggies, not juiced or smoothie veggies. Fruit should be limited. I am an advocate of whole grains like quinoa, faro, brown rice, oatmeal. Others will argue against them. But for me those type of grains are filling and provide me with fiber and give me energy, plus they are very nutritious. Its up to you to decide.
Avocados, olive oil, nuts and nut butters, salmon are all great sources of healthy fats. They will help you feel fuller longer and are very good for you.
Snacks are okay as long as they are healthy and you are not consuming too many calories.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:04 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,573,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
100lbs overweight (280lbs,5'7")and having major mobility issues,in fact i feel out of gas physically and mentally all the time, at 68 years old i think i'm a bit young to start identifying with my 600lb life.
So its all about diet and exercise, I go to the gymn every morning for a half hour then 3X a week follow that with an hour in the pool.
My problem is with the food, although i feel i'm eating healthy i'm obviously eating too much of it, for a year now i've cut out all wheat based products and all dairy and all alcohol and gone to a mostly vegetarian regime yet the lbs continue to mount time for a bit more extreme measures. Breakfast now consists of a fat,sick and nearly Dead type juice, lunch will be a fruit and vegetable smoothie and supper will be a bowl of bean soup,no in-between meal snacks.
Well its 11am and i'm starving. to lose this debilitating weight is my only option to get used to feeling starved all the time?
I don't understand your comment about at 68 being too young to start identifying with My 600 lb Life? Most of those people are under 30 or 40?

It's really all mostly about what you EAT. Exercise just helps things along a bit.

Cutting wheat based products sounds reasonable. And all alcohol - great!

If your pounds continue to mount, you are most likely eating more than you burn. You need to learn about portions and how many calories your body is burning at rest and go from there.

Don't starve yourself and don't subsist on juices.

You need to learn what you can eat and what you can't and in what portions. Notice I said "eat."

I am 5'0 and 160 pounds. I get to eat about 1400 calories.

For breakfast, I have eggs and cheese on bread.

For lunch, maybe some chicken with veggies, avocado (best fat ever!!).

For dinner, maybe some steak with veggies.

Snacks include greek yogurt and peanut butter!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:21 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,010,225 times
I recommend you read "Wheat Belly", "Eat Fat, Get Thin" or another similar book about how fat impacts your diet. I think you'd feel much better and probably lose weight much faster if you added in some meat and fats. It sounds like you're basically starving yourself. I'm not at all surprised that you feel hungry, you should with what you are eating!

If you feel hungry all the time you won't be able to stick with your plan long enough to lose the weight you need to lose. How long have you been doing what you're doing? It sounds like it's time for a new plan.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,464,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I recommend you read "Wheat Belly", "Eat Fat, Get Thin" or another similar book about how fat impacts your diet. I think you'd feel much better and probably lose weight much faster if you added in some meat and fats. It sounds like you're basically starving yourself. I'm not at all surprised that you feel hungry, you should with what you are eating!

If you feel hungry all the time you won't be able to stick with your plan long enough to lose the weight you need to lose. How long have you been doing what you're doing? It sounds like it's time for a new plan.

I read Wheat Belly a year ago and have resisted eating wheat based products ever since,
i've been on this diet about 12 hours. its basically Juice for breakfast,smoothie for lunch and for supper anything from my Dr Joel Fuhrman cookbooks.Sounds a bit extreme but it seems nothing else works so extreme is whats needed. His Bean Chili for supper.
I'm using My Fitness Pal and aiming for a max of about 1000 calories per day.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,010,225 times
Quote:
I read Wheat Belly a year ago and have resisted eating wheat based products ever since,
i've been on this diet about 12 hours. its basically Juice for breakfast,smoothie for lunch and for supper anything from my Dr Joel Fuhrman cookbooks.Sounds a bit extreme but it seems nothing else works so extreme is whats needed. His Bean Chili for supper.
I don't see how that could possibly work long term. 1000 calories a day just isn't enough. Especially if your body isn't in a fat burning mode you are going to lose all of your muscle eating that little. I would look into a diet that is higher fat and lower carb. You'll feel much better and still lose weight. Starvation is not sustainable long term.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:32 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
That's not enough. A sedentary woman shouldn't go lower than 1200/day when trying to lose weight. As a man, you need even more than that as a baseline. If you're working out as you say you are, you can bump up your food intake a little more to fuel your workouts while still keeping a caloric deficit. You didn't put on an extra 100 pounds overnight, and you shouldn't expect to lose it overnight.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-07-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 02:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,850,428 times
Quote:
Joel Fuhrman is a shill. 1000 Calories is not enough and NOT sustainable. Eat real food that you can chew.
I do not understand 'nothing else works'? What else have you done and for how long?
Losing weight is a journey and it takes time and dedication. There is no quick fix. Expect to lose 1lb a week and if you are lucky 2 lbs a week. That is the HEALTHY amount to lose.
Focus your diet around lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains (quinoa, faro, bulgur, oats) a large variety of colorful vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, some fruit and lots of water.
Exercise like your life depends on it because it does. Aerobic and anaerobic, so cardio and resistance training.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:35 PM

15,959 posts, read 6,392,659 times
Big hug to you. I am 20 years younger than you and we are the same height. I made it up to 220 and couldn't take it anymore. Everything hurts. I don't have a lot of diet expertize, but I am gave up all sugar, dairy, wheat, processed foods too. I do use oil olive when I cook my vegis and love coconut cream and cinnamon in my coffee. I am losing weight fairly rapidly and am not hungry(in fact I am mostly not interested in eating). Maybe try adding some more healthy fats. People lose weight all the time. Keep going until you find what works for you.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:51 PM

50,459 posts, read 64,317,889 times
Quote:
Of course you are starving. What lame brain diet is that? You should be eating a lot more protein, and lose the sugar.
An example of a reasonable low carb diet is:

Breakfast.. 2 eggs and two pieces of bacon (no juices and no potato or toast) coffee or tea. When I can't face another egg, I have a high protein, no sugar yogurt with a few berries or some oatmeal with Equal and milk.
Lunch...a big burger with no bun, or deli turkey or beef and cheese rollups, a salad with dressing on the side, or a tomato.
Dinner...Chicken, beef or fish, sautéed, and as many vegetables as you want. Root vegetables are higher in carbs, but very nutritious, so don't have them every day.
Snacks (but you probably won't need them) a handful or nuts, a pouch of tuna, or some cottage cheese or yogurt (no sugar or fruit and high protein)
I follow this basic diet and I rarely get hungry. It is basically, Atkins and South Beach, and you will feel great on them.
Good luck, and don't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss