Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 AM

635 posts, read 754,766 times

Advertisements

I've talked to my dietician about this, so I know these aren't something I can drink ALL the time, but I can have them every so often. I want to see if anyone recommends some that are better than others. At the moment, I have only tried the Slim Fast Protein Shakes. My dietician has also recommended the Special K Protein Shakes or Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Shakes. Thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I buy EOS Chocolate Protein powder at Sam's. We mix it with crushed ice, unsweetened almond milk and sugar free coffee syrup to make a chocolate coffee flavored milkshake. It's pretty good. I bought some vanilla that was the same brand and we couldn't stand the flavor. Nothing covered it up, no matter what I tried mixing with it. I also have some unflavored powder that I mix into pudding or baked goods...you can use sugar-free pudding and mix protein powder with it but you can't mix sugar free pudding with almond milk, it needs cow milk to gel.

I don't buy the premade protein drinks because they cost more and they have more sugar than I want to consume. I looked at the Special K chocolate shake and it has 18g sugar and 10g protein and the homemade chocolate/almond milk shake that I make has 30g protein and 7g carbs.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've talked to my dietician about this, so I know these aren't something I can drink ALL the time, but I can have them every so often. I want to see if anyone recommends some that are better than others. At the moment, I have only tried the Slim Fast Protein Shakes. My dietician has also recommended the Special K Protein Shakes or Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Shakes. Thoughts or suggestions?
Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder gets pretty good reviews. Mix with 8 oz milk in a shaker cup and add a banana or frozen berries if you want to jazz it up a bit further (assuming they go with the flavor you pick).

I've heard good things about Legion's whey, but I've not tried it yet.

https://legionathletics.com/products/supplements/whey/

I'd definitely go with a powder/mix vs. pre-made drinks.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've talked to my dietician about this, so I know these aren't something I can drink ALL the time, but I can have them every so often.
You can have them as often as you want, provided that they do not impair your ability to get all your nutrients.

Quote:
I want to see if anyone recommends some that are better than others. At the moment, I have only tried the Slim Fast Protein Shakes. My dietician has also recommended the Special K Protein Shakes or Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Shakes. Thoughts or suggestions?
If you're looking for a meal replacement, your best bet is a casein/whey blend in about an 80/20 ratio. That's pretty much the exact ratio of milk protein isolate (MPI) and is very filling.

You can buy actual MPI (such as here) or mix your own from commercial protein products. Right now, I use this casein protein mixed with unflavored whey concentrate in a 75-25 blend (3 scoops casein, 1 whey, throw in blender) and it works very well.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM

483 posts, read 625,103 times
I also like Optimum nutrition whey protein. It tastes great in a shaker with spring water. Sometimes I make it in a blender with fruit and almond milk. Stay away from the soy protein powders and beware of sugar, some are very high in sugar. Soy protein does not assimilate well, most is wasted because your body doesn't digest it well.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 11,693 times
I don't like to get the pre-made meal replacement shakes. I prefer to make my own.

I use a scoop of vanilla Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein, some frozen fruit/veg (usually a blend of kale, spinach, and berries), a spoonful of peanut butter, coconut milk, and I blend that all together.

It keeps me satisfied longer than a regular meal.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,425 times
I would also like to know what the best meal replacements are. I work long hours and most days i do not have the time to cook or prep full meals to sustain my gain/losses. It has been a rollercoaster and i want stability and results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss