Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times

Advertisements

Scott,
I did CI (calories IN) for years with good results. Not working so well now. I know that with age my basal metabolism has dropped considerably. CO (calories out) is just so subjective I never know where to begin figuring the calories I burn with exercise. I do know that this damn computer-HBO- Netflix- On-Demand scenario has me on my ass more than in the past, but then since college I have had mostly desk jobs. The biggest component of CO is basal metabolism, pretty much the number of calories a mammal uses to keep up a body temperatiure and brain and cardiac function when at rest. Moving is a small part.

But my biggest problem is the inability to ascertain the amount of calories in a restaurant meal and I eat out often, much more often than in the past.
How do you handle that dilemma?

Years ago, I could lose weight quickly on a 3000 calorie diet but that number deteriorated year by year, decade by decade so now even 2000 calories doesn't do the trick. I do not have the muscle mass that I did 40 years ago.
I like this formula for BMR: For Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years) which gives me 1846 calories to "play with." <Note that ugly deduction of 6.8 calories per year. That starts to add up (subtract down.)>

Reading your post has given me some impetus to pull out the notepad and pen, and MAYBE start grinding away at calories again. I am doing a little better at my gym attendance.

Thanks Scott,
Your post gave me a modicum of hope.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-28-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 05:37 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I have mostly done WW. I did try slim fast, lost some weight and then gained more back. Been doing it on and off since I am 13, I am 45 now. It works if you stick to it. Right now I am 32 lbs. down. I rejoined in 2011 by the end of 2012 I was down 50 lbs. Kept that off for a few months. Went on and off the band wagon for awhile. I am back on the band wagon lost 1 pound last week and 2 pounds this week. I am more committed since joining in 2011. I have only missed maybe 5 meetings since then. I love my group and my leader. My old eating habits started coming back so I changed them. Plus with a diabetic husband who is overweight we both needed a change. We cut down on the carbs, no rice, pasta, potatoes, or bread. I stick to salads for lunch ( I work at Subway) For breakfast I eat yogurt with a banana and 1/4 cup granola. I don't snack at Subway (cookies and chips anymore) I haven't cut out carbs completely just limiting them. We were eating pasta at least 3 times a week, rice once a week, potatoes once a week. I do have a cheat meal on the weekends which includes carbs. Today instead of eating potato chips at my mom's I had brought a WW snack bar with me and had that. I felt good about my choice. I have gone from a size 18 to a size 14 and my goal is to get to a size 10. I weigh 190 right now but I don't look it. I carry my weight well. I want to get down to 145-150 pounds. We mostly eat protein, fruits, veggies, some cheeses, yogurt, PB, Nuts, salads, canned beans, no more processed carbs/foods and fish.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 AM

3 posts, read 2,645 times
Weight loss programs aren't that bad as many people think it is. I've had a family history of obesity and tried a lot of different things to shed some weight. Tried a low carb, no dairy diet, went to the gym etc and everything possible. But I guess I just lacked the motivation to do it. But then I decided to take it upon myself an enrolled in a weight loss program for men here in Toronto with Harvey Brooker. Although there definitely was an initial adjustment trouble due to my absolute lack of fitness, I found myself enjoying it as I progressed. The benefits are real and I've been taking care of myself ever since. I guess I just lacked the motivation to do it myself. Just find the best weight loss program for you in your city and go for it if you're serious about it.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 815 times
The Fat Diminisher Program with Great Compelling Video & Product Marketed For Fast Weight Loss Which Is What Dieters Really Want!
A foolproof, science-based diet designed to melt away several pounds of stubborn body fat in just 21 days.
[url]http://4ad639be4sc-3oap97p5e4if7b.hop.clickbank.net/[/url]

Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 PM

342 posts, read 437,915 times
5 weeks ago I started a diet plan I found on Facebook. I wanted to trim down a bit for vacation. I was following the meal plan. I was never so full in my life and I lost 8 pounds. I even do not know how it is possible. I kind of figured that all meals were balanced, low carb and high protein. No dairy, no flower, starches or table sugar. No fruits except limited amounts of an apple blueberries and raspberries. Measured everything to a gram.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:01 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,524 times
It is as simple as "calories in versus calories out", and technically speaking you can lose the same amount of weight if you eat 1,200 calories of Oreos as if you eat 1,200 calories of wholesome, healthy food. In practice, however, it doesn't quite work out that way for the reason others have stated - eating a lot of junk food makes you have uncontrollable cravings for more junk food, which makes sticking to the 1,200 calorie limit nearly impossible. In addition, junk food just doesn't fill you up like healthy, whole food, so if you eat 1,200 calories of junk food, you will still feel very hungry and will be more likely to overeat. I am speaking from first-hand experience.

Putting that aside, I will say this. Back when I did calorie counting religiously, I ate healthy as much as possible, but I did occasionally have something like ice cream for dinner, instead of healthy food. I counted the calories and made sure I kept within my overall calorie allowance for the day, but having that treat now and then was a release valve and helped me stick with the calorie counting because I wasn't depriving myself of every food I love. Also, having junk only occasionally as a treat did not result in uncontrollable cravings (for me, anyway).

Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
It is as simple as "calories in versus calories out", and technically speaking you can lose the same amount of weight if you eat 1,200 calories of Oreos as if you eat 1,200 calories of wholesome, healthy food. In practice, however, it doesn't quite work out that way for the reason others have stated - eating a lot of junk food makes you have uncontrollable cravings for more junk food, which makes sticking to the 1,200 calorie limit nearly impossible. In addition, junk food just doesn't fill you up like healthy, whole food, so if you eat 1,200 calories of junk food, you will still feel very hungry and will be more likely to overeat. I am speaking from first-hand experience.

Putting that aside, I will say this. Back when I did calorie counting religiously, I ate healthy as much as possible, but I did occasionally have something like ice cream for dinner, instead of healthy food. I counted the calories and made sure I kept within my overall calorie allowance for the day, but having that treat now and then was a release valve and helped me stick with the calorie counting because I wasn't depriving myself of every food I love. Also, having junk only occasionally as a treat did not result in uncontrollable cravings (for me, anyway).
The best diet foods in my experience are low carb protein shakes (mixed with water, not milk), and chicken, lots and lots of chicken (cooked on non-stick pan, no oil or butter). You also need your share of low glycemic veggies (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peppers, Tomatoe, Cucumber, etc...).

Avoid processed sugars at all costs, they drive your cravings and rob you of your portion control. Black coffee and diet soda gets me through in between meals

Old 08-31-2016, 12:20 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
When I was losing, I ate what I wanted to eat. Ate carbs, including "bad" ones, fruits, veggies, meat, legumes... I had (and still have) two "cheat days" where I don't give a beep and eat what most would consider "bad food". Last Saturday, I ate fried chicken, tater tots, and corn on the cob. Every night I eat one of those Skinny Cow cones (because they actually taste very good). What helped me to lose was EATING LESS and MOVING MORE, not some magical food or cutting out a food group. Cheat days eliminated cravings. Exercise (strength training and aerobic exercise) made my body work. Because I was eating food that I would normally eat whether dieting or not, transitioning from losing to maintaining wasn't hard at all. It wasn't easy training my body to eat less but I found that eating at regular times daily somehow made 1400 calories go pretty far. At the end of the day, it all comes down to calories.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:57 PM

94 posts, read 68,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The best diet foods in my experience are low carb protein shakes (mixed with water, not milk), and chicken, lots and lots of chicken (cooked on non-stick pan, no oil or butter). You also need your share of low glycemic veggies (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peppers, Tomatoe, Cucumber, etc...).

Avoid processed sugars at all costs, they drive your cravings and rob you of your portion control. Black coffee and diet soda gets me through in between meals
Diet soda has sugar?

I have found that "avoiding all sugar" is nearly impossible, I have tried. I do believe though that if you eat less..

And has "The Grapefruit Diet" been brought up?

Old 12-26-2016, 02:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
My step daughter lost 45 pounds a few years ago. You know the part of every label that tells you the service size? Everything she ate was only the serving size marked on the label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss