Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Sensible weight loss Diets can work if you can stick with them,problem is most people cant so they fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 03:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
All the various diet plans work including no plan/eat less. You have to find what works for you. I like calorie cycling.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Utterly and categorically FALSE.

The bottom line equation is always true: weight loss = calories burned - calories consumed

HOWEVER, the types of food will dramatically affect your appetite which directly affects your calories consumed. There is even new research that come foods affect your calories burned, as in have an effect on your metabolic rate.

If you're trying to diet on 100 calorie oreo packs, your insulin levels will spike so high you won't be able to control yourself and you'll be binging all night. If however you have some foods high in protein and fat, your body will be much more satisfied and you'll have a fighting chance to resist the food temptations all around you
This.

It's long past time to get past the "all calories are equal" nonsense.

OP, look into Dr. David Ludwig and his "Always Hungry?" book/program.
Lots of good research behind it.
It's been very effective for me.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 AM

15 posts, read 32,867 times
I'm tracking my calories intake. I'm eating everything (I follow Flexible dieting). For health I'm doing 16/8 Intermittent Fasting. Cheers

Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM

14 posts, read 7,654 times
So many

Last edited by Hellofriendhello; 10-11-2018 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: misspelled.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 3,079 times
Unless your eating habits are similar, I wouldn't try to follow any particular diet. I agree it's a good idea to log your calories for a few weeks so you become aware of how much you are eating. Continue counting calories with an app like Myfitnessbuddy as you reduce your daily intake. Don't try to make a sudden drastic change in your diet. For example, if you are eating 2,700 calories per day, reduce it to 2,300 per day to start. Gradually lower the calories over the course of a year. Regular exercise is helpful, but mostly because it helps you maintain the eating self-regulation habits. Take the same approach with exercise. Ratchet up the intensity of your exercise over the course of a year. Don't start with "insane" workouts that you will dread and quit in a few weeks or months. Sustainable change is the key.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I have lost 25 lbs on several diet programs, most recently nutrisystem. They all work, but unless you stay on the same amount of calories after the program, you will gain the weight back.
I guess by now, OP has been to the wedding, but for future reference, if you eat what they tell you, nutrisystem or Jennie Craig that provide the all the foods, are good for quick safe weight loss.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
I was looking for opinions on the current Weight Watchers program, and if folks on this forum have experience/opinions. $14 per week seems a tad on the high side; and they have shelves full of their cookies and other pricey products everywhere. (couldn't find any topics here on WW)

Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I was looking for opinions on the current Weight Watchers program, and if folks on this forum have experience/opinions. $14 per week seems a tad on the high side; and they have shelves full of their cookies and other pricey products everywhere. (couldn't find any topics here on WW)
Weight Watchers helped me twice. Once when I wanted to lose weight after giving birth - not much, just 15 pounds and I was successful
The second time was when I had gained 40 pounds and was finally fed up with the extra weight. I followed WW and lost the weight and I have kept it off for 10 years.

This is how it worked for me - I went to the meetings every week. I got weighed in and then sat in for the meeting. The idea of being weighed in every week was great motivation. I liked that my losses were recorded so I could see my progress. It was also helpful to connect with other people in the meetings and swap stories of our success and failures weekly.

I did not buy any WW foods.
I did not bother with using their website.
I wrote down everything I ate and calculated points that way.

I never felt hungry. I ate from all the food groups.
If I had to lose weight again I would go back to WW and follow it exactly the way I did previously.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quilter Chick, funny enough the "free style" program is similar to what I did to lose weight (for free). WW is great for support reasons and some people need the structure of formal diet plans. I've done WW in the past but ultimately I decided to take whatever knowledge I gleaned from weight loss plans and made a go of it on my own. Weight loss is more of a lifestyle change. Dieting plans may or may not achieve that. You don't have to spend gobs of money to change your life and lose weight.

What I did and still do can be classified as "80/20" - I eat clean/healthy 80% of the time, and I indulge in non-diet friendly stuff 20% of the time.

I didn't buy any special products, shakes, powders, meals. All of my food came from the grocery store at grocery store prices.

I learned to eat smaller portions of my own food.

I track my caloric intake.

I drink few beverages other than water.

I exercise regularly and vigorously.

I eat treats daily.

I have one day of indulgence.

Once I figured out (mostly) my body's patterns and adjusted as needed, I was able to lose weight steadily, effectively, and bearably. I ended up losing over a third of my body weight, 71-72 lbs total. (I achieved my first goal of getting to normal BMI two years ago and then I went on to lose another ten to twelve pounds to hit my ultimate goal of best weight ever a year or so ago). I'm not going to say "painlessly" because it's never painless when it comes to adjusting to a healthier way of life it you've become accustomed to eating unhealthy. Unhealthy stuff tends to be very appealing.

I'm not discouraging you from the formal diet plans, I'm just making you aware that you don't have to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss