Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm female 142|b 5ft2 and looking to lose half to a stone and tone up. I've made huge changes to my diet. I have a fruit smoothie with whey protein added every morning for breakfast. Wholemeal rice and quorn chilli as an example for lunch/dinner and chicken with vegetables for dinner. I exercise 5 days a week combination of hiit cardio for 30mins, running 5k, cycle 60 mins, salsa dancing. I have been at this for 8 weeks now and only lost 2 pounds. Is there anything i should be doing differently? I dont see huge changes physically neither. Before this I did zero exercise and ate a lot of carbs. I feel fitter and able to run with ease. Help please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,838,716 times
Less cardio, more lifting, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinner-Leaner.../dp/1938895290

Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,246,188 times
Sounds like you are exercising a lot. Maybe you are building up muscles and keep in mind that muscles are heavier than fat. So if you are exchanging fat for muscles you won't notice it immediately, in that case you need to have more patience.

Otherwise you should review your diet. Be careful with fruit smoothies, they can quickly contain a lot more calories than you think. More info is needed for better dietary advice. Soda's and alcohol are big weight gainers of course.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,276 times
Ive just bought some weights so will try a combination of both weights and cardio. I only drink water (no soda etc) although saying that I do forget to drink often.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:31 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,430,876 times
1 1/2 stone is only about 20 lbs. If you're only 20 lbs overweight, that extra weight is not going to come off very fast. That being said you should count your calories to see how much you are actually eating and go online to figure out what your BMR actually is and how many calories you need to eat to be at a deficit. You might be eating too little or too much - hard to know without knowing how many calories you eat. You also might be exercising too much especially if you went from no exercise to your current level. Your body might still be getting used to the exercise and retaining water in response, especially if you aren't drinking enough liquids.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:04 PM

143 posts, read 301,447 times
[quote=EuroTrashed Sounds like you are exercising a lot. Maybe you are building up muscles and keep in mind that muscles are heavier than fat. So if you are exchanging fat for muscles you won't notice it immediately, in that case you need to have more patience.

Otherwise you should review your diet. Be careful with fruit smoothies, they can quickly contain a lot more calories than you think. More info is needed for better dietary advice. Soda's and alcohol are big weight gainers of course.[/quote]

Ok, it is very difficult for a woman to put on muscle and you have to work very hard to do so. You have to eat and lift weight designed to put on muscle. I lost about 40 pounds over 3 years ago in my mid 40s by eating correctly and lifting heavy, for me, weight. I was deadlifting 200lbs and squatting 180. As a woman it is very difficult to put on muscle because of our testosterone levels. You also can not exchange fat for muscle or the other way around.

It took me 5 months to lose the weight but I was lifting 3 times a week and doing actual HIIT 3 times a week. I am not sure what you are calling HIIT but I was sprinting and I do mean sprinting. I would sprint for 45 seconds (8-10 mph) and walk fast (4 mph) for 90 seconds. I did this cycle for 8 rounds.

If you are not losing weight it boils down to what you are eating. Eat vegetables and protein and drink water. My weight has fluctuated slightly over the years but once you figure out how and what to eat things become much simpler.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 AM

35 posts, read 28,117 times
Great discussion,

Welshy I'd consider the following course of action

1. Reevaluate your diet. Search google for "The best calorie control guide infographic" from precision nutrition. This provides you with a model of what quality nutrient dense meals look like and the proper portions. Look to have 3-4 of these meals everyday. Read up on organic food. Have a Kitchen/Pantry makeover (conduct your own or hire someone to do it for you). Having a properly stocked kitchen/pantry is essential for living a healthy life and making any real lasting body transformation. I also recommend purchasing the bulk of your food from farmers markets and local grocery stores.

2. Develop a gym schedule 3-4days per week. Focus 2 of these days on resistance training focusing on compound movement with weights. A lot of different systems to follow.

3. Make sure you're sleeping 8hours every night and you're in bed by 10:30pm. Drink at least half your body weight in oz's per day.

Feel free to ask any question

Old 05-27-2016, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,411 times
Green tea may help you lose weight. It contains bioactive substances that can make you burn more calories. Also, you may try some diet plans. Here is a website...depending on your goals, you will be able to find a diet plan.

www.bestdiettolose-weight.com

Old 05-27-2016, 12:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
Honestly, at this point I would focus on the diet. Are you tracking your calories? Macros?

I love fruit, I can eat fruit until it's coming out my ears but if I were to eat 1500 calories worth of fruit plus one 250-calorie ultra-healthy smoothie per day I would not lose a single ounce, guaranteed. No "restrictions" diet has worked with nonrestricted calories for me, either (low-carb, for example, or vegetarian). It's possible this is the case for you.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:55 PM

596 posts, read 429,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy023 View Post
Hi. I'm female 142|b 5ft2 and looking to lose half to a stone and tone up. I've made huge changes to my diet. I have a fruit smoothie with whey protein added every morning for breakfast. Wholemeal rice and quorn chilli as an example for lunch/dinner and chicken with vegetables for dinner. I exercise 5 days a week combination of hiit cardio for 30mins, running 5k, cycle 60 mins, salsa dancing. I have been at this for 8 weeks now and only lost 2 pounds. Is there anything i should be doing differently? I dont see huge changes physically neither. Before this I did zero exercise and ate a lot of carbs. I feel fitter and able to run with ease. Help please....

Weigh your food, you're probably eating more than you think. What do you drink?
You might need more carbs if you exercise a lot.
What does your exercise look like? How fast do you run your 5K's? What HIIT are you doing? Cycling? Spin class or biking outside? What is your level of exertion?

We don't have complete information. Are you tracking your calories? Can you show us your diet from whatever app you're using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss