Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

I am a soda addict (usually 3 cokes a day) and would like to quit. I know this takes a certain amount of effort. There are no magic bullets. But are there any former soda addicts out there who can share tips with how they quit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Hot or iced tea with strong flavors
ice water with lemons or limes squeezed in

Aside from the occasional diet soda, that's what I drink these days.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am a soda addict (usually 3 cokes a day) and would like to quit. I know this takes a certain amount of effort. There are no magic bullets. But are there any former soda addicts out there who can share tips with how they quit?

Thanks!
I just quit. Stopped buying it. Cold turkey. Let your BRAIN lead you, dont let you emotions/feelings control you.

Havent had a soda in years.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:05 PM

96 posts, read 78,481 times
About 4 years ago, my husband wanted to try a week of no soda, no dessert, no added sugar, to see if it would help him feel better/if he could do it. So I said, ok, sure, I'm game. He drew up a meal plan, and no where on the meal plan was soda. I had horrific headaches from caffeine withdrawal, and I don't like tea, so that wasn't an option for me. However, once I got through the first couple days, and the headaches subsided, I haven't gone back. I occasionally drink Sprite Zero, but otherwise it's now coffee (no sugar) at breakfast (used to be soda) and then ice water the rest of the day.

It was helpful for me to have someone else doing it with me. When that week was up and my husband was like, YAY we can have diet soda again, I was all like, nope. I went through a week of HELL with the caffeine withdrawal (yes, I know, I now drink coffee) but no way am I going back to caffeine all day long in the form of soda.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Eight years ago I had chemotherapy. I had already decided that I needed to quit my diet soda habit for my health, and chemo temporarily changed my sense of taste. I took one sip of Coke during that time and almost vomited, it tasted so nasty. That was it, I have never even been tempted to drink soda again. So, I guess you could say aversion therapy worked for me!

Find another drink that you really like--some kind of tea, sparkling water, anything to substitute for the soda that is good for you, and keep plenty of it on hand at all times.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Good for you all for kicking the soda habit....nasty stuff and not something our bodies NEED.

I drink a couple cups of organic coffee, no sugar but coconut milk creamer and rest of day water for the most part. Vitamin Water when I feel a need for a lift and it helps me as it's high in potassium, the Revive one has high potassium. Low Sodium V8 has high potassium and also a good lift for me later in the day and also my first thing in the AM drink with my MSM powder.

I can't imaging putting soda in my body, but I did my share when much much younger and dental work to prove it.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Flavored sparkling water did the trick. No calories, sodium or caffeine.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
I drank 4-6 Diet Cokes a day. I haven't had one in about a year and a half. Just went cold turkey. I switched to unsweet tea and flavored mineral water. The mineral water satisfies the craving for bubbles.

Everyone told me how much better I'd feel afterwards. I'm not going to lie; I feel absolutely no different. But I know that they were really bad for me, so I won't go back. But I think the secret is to just don't drink them at all any more. I really think if I had one, it would very quickly turn back into 4-6 a day.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:13 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
I have given it up a couple of times. I basically gave up soda again at the start of last November. I had 2 on Thanksgiving, one the week before Christmas and one another time at a bar after I quit drinking. I used to have at least that many servings a day so naming off the exact times I have had a Coke means I am really doing well.

One time I quit I literally weaned myself to those little 6 or 8 oz mini cans per day. It meant I had that as an option but was meandering throw the day with multiple sodas and refills.

The key for me is generally improving my diet. I get headaches when I first quit from the caffeine but I think what really drove my ridiculous CocaCola consumption was salty/fatty food. When you eat a bacon cheese burger & salty fries or fried chicken plate or jumbo pork sandwich you really need something to balance it. So I find its easier to salt off Coke if I'm also eating better. When I need a similar fix I can grab a root beer- it may not be the best choice but it is not as bad since it skips the caffeine component.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Try some Perrier Water as a replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss