Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:44 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,540 times

Advertisements

I really feel like I will start saying the same things in virtually every weight loss thread haha.

But 3500 calories eaten more than you burn is a pound of fat gained, 3500 pounds calories burned more than eaten is a pound of fat lost. So if your body only uses 1800 a day (just throwing out a number) and you eat 2300 a day, you'll be gaining a pound every week! Now still say your body only uses 1800 calories per day bit you only eat 1300 calories a day, now you'll be losing a pound every week!

It can be hard to figure out how much your body uses per day, everyone is different. My fiance is 31 and 5 foot 4 and weighs like 110-115 pounds, but she uses more calories per day than I do. The weird thing about her is she can eat 2500 calories per day and maintain her weight, then she can consume 3500 calories a few days (she likes to drink alcohol a couple nights a week but I completely abstain from all alcohol) per week and still maintain her weight. It's almost like if she eats/drinks an extra couple thousand calories a week, her body just uses those calories anyway from digesting or whatever, and burns them right off. There probably is a small amount of people out there that can literally ''Eat whatever I want''. It might also be all about genetics, although her father's side is very large and almost all of the people on that side are overweight, while her moms side are all thin people. So she probably got her mom's sides trait in that regard. My family is full of mostly heavy people on my mom's side, my mom is a yo-yo dieter and has been for years. And it must be at a point where her metabolism is terrible because what she claims she eats, must only have around 1500 calories or so AND she also claims she exercises for 3 hours per day and she's 52 now and this pretty much only maintains her 5 foot 2 and 125-ish pound frame. I'm skeptical she eats as little as she says though, something is wrong there or she has an astronomically terrible metabolism.

But my main rules and I still MOSTLY adhere to them today. First thing that you should cut out are drinks with calories. That includes soda's, alcohol and even juices. If you like soda, drink diet or zero calorie soda. Having a glass of juice or milk is fine, but a soda has like 140-160 calories per can. Diet and zero calorie might not taste as good, but I'd much rather eat an extra 140-160 calories and drink a zero calorie beverage than drink one with calories. I do drink regular sodas and gatorade's/energy drinks occasionally. But I do like some of the 0 calorie monster drinks. 0 calorie red bull is terrible though and tastes like Pepto Bismol.

Another thing is to stay away from the scale outside of once per week, unless you're prepared and okay with sometimes seeing your weight be higher than it was the day before, despite all the working out and good eating that you did the day before. These are just fluctuations and your water weight. You'll also notice that you might have lost 5-7 or maybe even 10 pounds after the first week, but it's probably not 5-7 real pounds, mostly just water weight and glycogen levels depleted from low calories/low carbs.

I feel like I say the same things in all of the weight loss threads, but I am happy to help if you have any other specific questions. I have lost 120 pounds and kept it off for 6 years now, so I can help with a decent amount of this! Good luck to you and feel free to ask if you have more questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akristy733 View Post
Keep it up with the good work of walking for 1-2 miles everyday, you will not see the result in a weeks unless you cut down your calories intake and avoid those unhealthy food. If you can cut down the calories needed by 10%, you should see tremendous result after a week.

Don't give up and keep it up.
Exactly. A healthy reduced calorie diet is key. Exercise is not enough. Weighing your foods and counting calories will help you lose more weight. Most of us eat more than we think we do. Other tips: Eat from small plates instead of big ones. Try to eat slower, drink more water, and instead of taking that second helping, wait 5-10 minutes for your body's satiety center to kick in. If you still feel hungry after several minutes, then go for a second serving.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Two weeks in - almost

OK, for the most part, it's good. I've had a couple of slip ups but gotten back on the horse.

I have lost 4 pounds. I know it will get slower but I'm in it for the long haul.

I also found this Plant Protein Powder that is one meal and it's great. That seems to help my craving for sweets. I just started that this past Monday so it's new.

Running like thieves - thanks for spelling out that; I knew that but it's clear. I get it and yes, I most likely was consuming more than I used up.

My goal is to lose another 13 by August 16th which is 23 days. I know it's fast at first and then 1 pound a week; by year end, I'll be able to do a lot more stuff because that will be close to 42 pounds gone.

I'm writing down each day what I eat and how I feel so that helps too.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Example: I do crave ice cream but I've been trying to go 2-3 days without it; how long before that craving goes away completely?
Sugar cravings go away when you stop feeding them. If you feed them every 2-3 days you will keep having them every 2-3 days.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,241 times
I've pretty much routine my weight loss to where I can enjoy it. For some of June/July I only lost probably 2-3 pounds, but I found myself drinking more alcohol (beer) and eating more calories (eating out more). Outside of those hurdles, I'm down 39 lbs, since March 2016. I'm down to 225 from 264. It's actually been really easy this time around. Easier than any other time I've lost weight before. Most of it is due to I'm not good at counting my calories mentally. When I count them mentally, I start to indulge and splurge. When I use myfitnesspal app, I tend to be more conservative on what I input and put in a little more than what I likely actually ate. The higher estimate keeps me from overeating, as the calories in really puts me on notice that I don't need to eat anymore till the next day.

I also increased my exercise a lot. I noticed something this weekend that I never paid attention to till now. I realized just how easy it is for me to get off my couch and bed from the sitting position. It's like I spring right up now, where before I felt like I almost had to propel myself up. Mountain bike riding is my hobby and exercise of choice, so I'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone there. I try to always bike at least 10 miles every time that I'm out and try to keep a good pace as well. I usually burn 700 calories for every 10 miles biked.

I've found that the key truly is to just move more. Not just with exercise, but even when you're in your home. I notice now I spend less time sitting. Where before I may lay on my couch and nap for 3-5 hours. Now, I lay on my couch, but in that same time frame I'm getting up to get water, check the mail, take trash out, fetch a peach/apple, fold laundry, etc etc. It's all about reallocating your time to where you're on your feet more and burning more calories.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sugar cravings go away when you stop feeding them. If you feed them every 2-3 days you will keep having them every 2-3 days.

It's true just STOP the ice creams etc and the cravings and thoughts disappear. Or start by cutting back on just a spoon or two and it becomes so easy and clear what we need to do.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's true just STOP the ice creams etc and the cravings and thoughts disappear. Or start by cutting back on just a spoon or two and it becomes so easy and clear what we need to do.
I had to stop sugar cold-turkey. I'm not a "wean off it" sort of person. And yeah...I have NO thoughts about and cravings for the sweet stuff.

I also noticed I have no tolerance for sugar (or foods that are quickly converted to sugar, like bread). This past weekend I went to the movies and dinner with friends. I had a glass of red wine, then two pieces of bread, some of the fried calamari ordered for the table, my grouper entree, and some of the tres leches cake ordered for the table. We were there for 2 hours, and by about the 60-minute mark, I could feel myself sliding toward sleep. It was all I could do to stay awake. The sugar just knocked me flat out. I'm not accustomed to it anymore, and that much sugar at one time hit me hard.

On the other hand, I'm so OFF the sugar that that one indulgent meal didn't send me scrambling after more of the sweet stuff. I just picked up the next day and continued with my no-sugar food.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are things I haven't had in the longest time and I still crave them. Regularly.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
There are things I haven't had in the longest time and I still crave them. Regularly.
Me too. The, 'avoid this food' never really worked for me. I just apply some moderation and that seems to work.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
OK, for the most part, it's good. I've had a couple of slip ups but gotten back on the horse.

I have lost 4 pounds. I know it will get slower but I'm in it for the long haul.

I also found this Plant Protein Powder that is one meal and it's great. That seems to help my craving for sweets. I just started that this past Monday so it's new.

Running like thieves - thanks for spelling out that; I knew that but it's clear. I get it and yes, I most likely was consuming more than I used up.

My goal is to lose another 13 by August 16th which is 23 days. I know it's fast at first and then 1 pound a week; by year end, I'll be able to do a lot more stuff because that will be close to 42 pounds gone.

I'm writing down each day what I eat and how I feel so that helps too.

Thanks for the encouragement!
13 pounds in 23 days? That's more than a pound every two days. Pretty much not going to happen. That's definitely not the long haul approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss