Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times

Advertisements

I don't know how meaningful this is but for those of us on a low carb diets, how many carbs by percentage are in the "whites" that we try to avoid. I thru in brown sugar and some other things just for comparison. I am also diabetic so for me this is not just about weight loss. The percentages represents how much of a certain food is made up of carbs. The first one is a no-brainer, white sugar is pure carbs. How much each of these affects blood sugar varies by individual. I just googled all of these.

White Sugar = 100g per 100g (100%)
Brown Sugar = 98g per 100g (98%)
White AP flour = 76g per 100g
White and Yellow Corn = 74g per 100g (I assume this is field corn)
Whole Wheat flour = 72g per 100g
Pinto Beans = 63g per 100g
White Rice = 28g per 100g
Brown Rice = 23g per 100g
Sweet Corn = 19g per 100g (This one is leaves me wondering)
Potatoes = 17g per 100g

The glycemic index value doesn't seem to correlate with carb content. Here is a comparison for flour and potatoes. GI is a relative term in comparing blood sugar effects to pure sugar which is 100.

Potato is 85
White Flour is 71

Mileage will vary depending on the individual.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by gguerra; 07-27-2016 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The white and yellow corn with 74g per 100g is dried corn, and the sweet corn is corn like you'd eat from a can or on the cob, so the 19g per 100g is because it's got a higher volume of water.

The 63g in 100g of pinto beans is for dried pinto beans. By the time you've cooked them, they've got 4g in 100g.

Pinto beans don't raise my blood sugar at all. I think it's because they take longer to digest than some other foods on your list.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Pay attention to ALL of the nutrients in different foods. Carbs, protein and fat... not just carbs.

In addition to carbs:
  • Pinto beans also have 25% calories from protein, 5% of calories from fat, and 60% of daily fiber needs. Beans and legumes are some of the healthiest foods you can eat.
  • Brown rice has 10% calories from protein, 8% of calories from fat, and 15% of fiber needs.
  • Potatoes have 10% calories from protein, 1% of calories from fat, and 16% daily fiber.
Generally speaking, foods with fiber and several nutrients are almost always going to be healthier than foods without fiber and fewer nutrients.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't know how meaningful this is but for those of us on a low carb diets, .....

Any thoughts?
My thoughts is that all of those items are way too high in carbs for anyone on a low carb way of eating.

Take your lowest of potatoes: 17 g of carbs per 100 g of potatoes, which is about 3.5 oz. A small potato is considered 138 grams, or 26 net carbs. If someone limits their daily carb intake to 25 g, that's an awful lot of carbs on a very small amount of food, and they can have 0 carbs in anything else, so no other vegetables.

Also, Pinto beans: 1 cup prepared pinto beans has net 30 g carbs per cup. Beans, pinto, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt Nutrition Facts & Calories

Just be aware of amounts of food eaten, how many carbs there really are in these items, and what else you are eating.

I'd rather spread my carbs out over the day on flax seeds, greens, broccoli, cucumbers, cream, eggs, almonds, etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My thoughts is that all of those items are way too high in carbs for anyone on a low carb way of eating.

Take your lowest of potatoes: 17 g of carbs per 100 g of potatoes, which is about 3.5 oz. A small potato is considered 138 grams, or 26 net carbs. If someone limits their daily carb intake to 25 g, that's an awful lot of carbs on a very small amount of food, and they can have 0 carbs in anything else, so no other vegetables.

Also, Pinto beans: 1 cup prepared pinto beans has net 30 g carbs per cup. Beans, pinto, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt Nutrition Facts & Calories

Just be aware of amounts of food eaten, how many carbs there really are in these items, and what else you are eating.

I'd rather spread my carbs out over the day on flax seeds, greens, broccoli, cucumbers, cream, eggs, almonds, etc.
Cream and eggs have no carbs.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Cream and eggs have no carbs.
1 cup of eggs (not quite 5 eggs, according to this link) contains 2 g carbs.
Therefore, when I scramble up my 3 eggs for breakfast and eat one more hardboiled egg as a snack later, I'm ingesting slightly more than 0 carbs.

One ounce of heavy whipping cream (about 2 Tablespoons - the amount I add to my morning coffee these days), contains 1 g of carbs.

Therefore, one days I eat my eggs and creamed coffee, I've ingested slightly more than 2 carbs. I know I have just under 23 carbs remaining.

So stop smacking yourself.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Percentage of Carbs in "High carb" foods.

White Sugar = 100g per 100g (100%)
Brown Sugar = 98g per 100g (98%)
White AP flour = 76g per 100g
White and Yellow Corn = 74g per 100g (I assume this is field corn)
Whole Wheat flour = 72g per 100g
Pinto Beans = 63g per 100g
White Rice = 28g per 100g
Brown Rice = 23g per 100g
Sweet Corn = 19g per 100g (This one is leaves me wondering)
Potatoes = 17g per 100g
Ahh yes, with the exception of the brown rice, you list foods that can be found in high numbers of every obese person's daily food intake. I am a fan of brown rice myself (long grain) but I avoid everything else on that list. Instead of pinto (which are not bad), I eat kidney. Instead of potatoes I eat sweet potato (only exception is IN-N-OUT fries which I've had only 2-3 times this year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Pay attention to ALL of the nutrients in different foods. Carbs, protein and fat... not just carbs.

In addition to carbs:
  • Pinto beans also have 25% calories from protein, 5% of calories from fat, and 60% of daily fiber needs. Beans and legumes are some of the healthiest foods you can eat.
  • Brown rice has 10% calories from protein, 8% of calories from fat, and 15% of fiber needs.
  • Potatoes have 10% calories from protein, 1% of calories from fat, and 16% daily fiber.
Generally speaking, foods with fiber and several nutrients are almost always going to be healthier than foods without fiber and fewer nutrients.
This ^^^^.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:

I realize these are the worst items to eat in terms of carbs which is why I listed them. I am a type 2 diabetic and on LCHF as a lifestyle not a temporary diet.

I also avoid everything on the list except the beans. Even though they have a significant amount of carbs it is one if the foods that provides other nutrients and fiber and I don't think I could do without them and I really like them. I also like kidney and black beans as well as chick peas in hummus.

As you listed the foods that you do get your carbs from it seems you are really strict. To me that would be applicable for the induction phase of the Atkins diet or something similar. All foods except pure fat have carbs. I don't count carbs from things such as greens, broccoli and cucumbers. They are negligible to me. It is important to consider where the carbs come from, not just the fact that they contain carbs. It is also important to consider the context of the carbohydrate. Everyone is different but for me the low carb thing is control my blood sugar pure and simple. Weight loss and control is secondary.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I realize these are the worst items to eat in terms of carbs which is why I listed them. I am a type 2 diabetic and on LCHF as a lifestyle not a temporary diet.

I also avoid everything on the list except the beans. Even though they have a significant amount of carbs it is one if the foods that provides other nutrients and fiber and I don't think I could do without them and I really like them. I also like kidney and black beans as well as chick peas in hummus.

As you listed the foods that you do get your carbs from it seems you are really strict. To me that would be applicable for the induction phase of the Atkins diet or something similar. All foods except pure fat have carbs. I don't count carbs from things such as greens, broccoli and cucumbers. They are negligible to me. It is important to consider where the carbs come from, not just the fact that they contain carbs. It is also important to consider the context of the carbohydrate. Everyone is different but for me the low carb thing is control my blood sugar. Weight loss and control is secondary.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:

As you listed the foods that you do get your carbs from it seems you are really strict. To me that would be applicable for the induction phase of the Atkins diet or something similar. All foods except pure fat have carbs. I don't count carbs from things such as greens, broccoli and cucumbers. They are negligible to me. It is important to consider where the carbs come from, not just the fact that they contain carbs. It is also important to consider the context of the carbohydrate. Everyone is different but for me the low carb thing is control my blood sugar. Weight loss and control is secondary.
You'd probably be better off to be eating high carb on a mostly vegetarian diet of whole foods.

Meal Planning for Vegetarian Diets: American Diabetes Association®

Vegetarian diet: Can it help me control my diabetes? - Mayo Clinic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss