Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:50 PM

358 posts, read 999,381 times

Advertisements

For the last several months, I have been eating nutrition bars for lunch. I have recently realized that the high fiber bars are high in carbs; low carb bars are also low in fiber and some bars are high calorie (180-200). I have diabetes so am looking for high fiber, low carb, lower cal bars. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
For the last several months, I have been eating nutrition bars for lunch. I have recently realized that the high fiber bars are high in carbs; low carb bars are also low in fiber and some bars are high calorie (180-200). I have diabetes so am looking for high fiber, low carb, lower cal bars. Any suggestions?
Yes, try to wean yourself off the bars and eat whole foods instead. Nutrition bars is an oxymoron. They are filled with sugar and half the time no better than a candy bar. If you need convenience make your self a PB&J on whole grain organic bread and pack a banana or an apple. Much better for you, and just as easy, but cheaper!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Thank you. Can't eat peanut butter though. I was also shocked at the sugar, etc in "nutrition" bars.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Thank you. Can't eat peanut butter though. I was also shocked at the sugar, etc in "nutrition" bars.
I am sure you can find real food substitutes that will work for you. It will take a bit more effort than just buying a bar, which is incredibly convenient. But convenient food is what gets most people in trouble.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quest bars are good for diabetics. They have no sugar and are made with high quality ingredients. I tested my blood sugar before and 1 hour after eating one and my blood sugar stayed stable. I am not a diabetic but I like to keep my blood sugar stable. Quest bars are between 170-190 calories. I eat them after I lift weights.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM

Thank you for sharing. I will definitely look for them.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Try almond butter. I know a few folks with peanut allergies who can eat almonds. I actually prefer the taste of almond butter over peanut butter anyway so I always eat almond.

All of those "nutritional" or "breakfast" bars are loaded in sugar so they should be avoided. "protein" bars like Tigers Milk or Clif Bars are also pretty darn bad for you (but they taste good).

Your best bet would be raw organic unsalted almond butter (from Trader Joes) and reduced sugar blueberry jelly (Trader Joes) on whole wheat bread. Much, much better than those bars, and even if you have peanut allergies, you can still eat it (providing that you get the right brand).

Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
I was in Ralphs today and noticed that the Clif bars were all on sale 10 for $10.00. I can see how people would get these at only $1.00 per bar, and if I were bulking right now (i.e., trying to gain weight and build muscle), I would have picked up 10-20 of them, but since I am looking to maintain and/or shed bodyfat %, I passed.

That 21 grams of sugar in one bar is just "OMG" too high.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clif...GvBSgHQ7-oM%3A

Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 PM

39 posts, read 101,739 times
Sometimes I eat the protien bars--they are really helpful for keeping full without having something too sugary or sweet.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I'll eat a bar in an emergency (sometimes a dessert), I keep them in my car and stuff.

FiberOne Lemon Bar
8g sugar
90 calories
18b carbs
5g fiber

FiberOne Oat Chocolate
7g sugar
140 calories
29g carbs
9g fiber

As always, whole foods are better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss