Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
It's actually not all the risky. Mortality rate is around .13%, it's riskier to have your gallbladder taken out or a knee replacement.
There actually are significant risks. Death is not the only possible complication here. (Nor is death immediate related to WLS in all cases. Publicized death stats are generally based on only up to one month out from surgery.) And the complicactions themselves aren't anything to sneeze at. There is no need to be sensationalist or dire, but at the same time, can we not irresponsibly pooh-pooh this concern and wave away complications under airy statements about how safe it all is?

Gastric Bypass Surgery: Facts About Weight Loss Surgery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
There actually are significant risks. Death is not the only possible complication here. (Nor is death immediate related to WLS in all cases. Publicized death stats are generally based on only up to one month out from surgery.) And the complicactions themselves aren't anything to sneeze at. There is no need to be sensationalist or dire, but at the same time, can we not irresponsibly pooh-pooh this concern and wave away complications under airy statements about how safe it all is?

Gastric Bypass Surgery: Facts About Weight Loss Surgery
I'm nearly 5 years out from RNY and spent over 6 years pondering and researching before I decided to go ahead. I'm well versed on the risk/benefits. And in fact, I'm currently experiencing a common, late complication and am facing more than likely a revision surgery to resolve the issue. I wasn't overly surprised that this happened as I was informed of the potential thru my own due diligence. I'd still do it all over again.

If you're interested in delving into more statistics and literature take a look at ASMBS website. The WedMd snapshot isn't a complete picture

Old 09-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm nearly 5 years out from RNY and spent over 6 years pondering and researching before I decided to go ahead. I'm well versed on the risk/benefits. And in fact, I'm currently experiencing a common, late complication and am facing more than likely a revision surgery to resolve the issue. I wasn't overly surprised that this happened as I was informed of the potential thru my own due diligence. I'd still do it all over again.

If you're interested in delving into more statistics and literature take a look at ASMBS website. The WedMd snapshot isn't a complete picture
YOU are well versed in the risks. People reading "I feel fit as a fiddle, never better, and pooh, WLS is as lightweight as gallbladder surgery!" may not be.

WebMD gives a somewhat incomplete picture, yes, as do death rates taken to only one month out and waving away a tiny 10% complications rate as if it's hardly a consideration.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
YOU are well versed in the risks. People reading "I feel fit as a fiddle, never better, and pooh, WLS is as lightweight as gallbladder surgery!" may not be.

WebMD gives a somewhat incomplete picture, yes, as do death rates taken to only one month out and waving away a tiny 10% complications rate as if it's hardly a consideration.
The .13% figure is actually a three month mortality rate. Same 90 days used as the mortality standard as other surgeries.

Here's my take, this is a major surgery and majorly life altering. Only the willfully ignorant walk in with eyes wide shut. There's huge amounts of literature out there and easily accessible. I didn't even talk the bariatric surgeon's information as gospel.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:15 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
I've been close with two different men that had weight loss surgery. One had gastric bypass, and the other a lap band.

I would not recommend those procedures to anyone, except in the most dire of circumstances. They both lost a lot of weight, but it came at a very heavy cost.

I've seen one of them over eat some pasta, and vomit until his eyes were red from petechial hemorrages. In other words, he puked so violently that it broke blood vessels in his face. That happened almost weekly.

The other could not choke down chicken or steak ever again, or else the same vomiting. I've seen him throw up from soft scrambled eggs. He also can't eat most fresh veggies and definitely no fresh herbs because they get caught in the band.

He eats a diet that consists largely of buttery pasta and ice cream, because those slip by the band.

Neither of them regret the surgery, but both have gained back a significant amount of weight after their surgeries. They both had them about fifteen years ago. Since the alternative for both of them was very bleak, I understand. But it's certainly no easy way out.

Don't even get me started on the excess skin that comes from rapid weight loss. We will just leave it at " it ain't pretty" To me, bariatric surgery treats the symptom, not the cause of the problem. Sometimes, it's a life saving measure, but I hope no one reading this takes on this decision lightly.

And it should always be followed by professional therapy. That's the root of the problem in eating disorders, except in the very rare cases of brain damage or hormonal issues that cause the patient to feel hungry all the time.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
The .13% figure is actually a three month mortality rate. Same 90 days used as the mortality standard as other surgeries.
By any chance do you have a link? All links that I found stated they were one-month stats. For example, this states: "Data involving nearly 60,000 bariatric patients from ASMBS Bariatric Centers of Excellence database show that the risk of death within the 30 days following bariatric surgery averages 0.13 percent, or approximately one out of 1,000 patients." Thanks for any help.

Also, I'm sure you must mean .13 and not .13%, is that correct? .13% would be infinitesimal. By contrast, .13 is 1.3%. So, a little less than one and a half per one hundred patients.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if the goal here is to "correctly" inform then the information needs to be correct. IMO.

And again, the "complications" themselves are no walk in the park...and some are actually permanent, for some patients. For example, from Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
Risks associated with the surgical procedure can include:

Excessive bleeding
Infection
Adverse reactions to anesthesia
Blood clots
Lung or breathing problems
Leaks in your gastrointestinal system
Death (rare)

Longer term risks and complications of weight-loss surgery vary depending on the type of surgery. They can include:

Bowel obstruction
Dumping syndrome, causing diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
Gallstones
Hernias
Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
Malnutrition
Stomach perforation
Ulcers
Vomiting
Death (rare)
..I don't believe that this should be minimized. Some of this is quite serious. Again, JMO.

Now, obviously the big question and (hopefully, for a reputable doctor) the final decision will come down on: which is a bigger risk...ongoing obesity for this patient, or the surgery? So I'm not saying there are no cases where WLS would help and perhaps save. Obviously, it does. So, just so you know, I'm not minimizing that, either. But when I see "this surgery is less risky than common run-a-day gallbladder surgery! And I feel great"-style posts that claim to inform, well...I just see people who are desperate, reading that, and thinking, "Oh, I'm sure I'll be totally fine." Yes, even bright people; even thinking people. I understand desperation. It absolutely can influence even the brightest people, even the most thinking people, especially if what looks like a life raft is in sight. That's human nature. A balanced and very realistic look needs to be involved here if we're to talk about this at all...IMO. Otherwise, why bother - because both sides of the coin, "Oh silly, don't worry, risks are SO low and I'm doing awesome" and "my God...you will DIE from this!" are equally one-sided tacks to take and both ignore real data.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-18-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 11:13 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
All surgeries have their dangers, elective or emergency. Cut out all WHITE FOOD STUFFS and move. And WATER. The weight comes off.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
By any chance do you have a link? All links that I found stated they were one-month stats. For example, this states: "Data involving nearly 60,000 bariatric patients from ASMBS Bariatric Centers of Excellence database show that the risk of death within the 30 days following bariatric surgery averages 0.13 percent, or approximately one out of 1,000 patients." Thanks for any help.

Also, I'm sure you must mean .13 and not .13%, is that correct? .13% would be infinitesimal. By contrast, .13 is 1.3%. So, a little less than one and a half per one hundred patients.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if the goal here is to "correctly" inform then the information needs to be correct. IMO.

And again, the "complications" themselves are no walk in the park...and some are actually permanent, for some patients. For example, from Mayo Clinic:

..I don't believe that this should be minimized. Some of this is quite serious. Again, JMO.

Now, obviously the big question and (hopefully, for a reputable doctor) the final decision will come down on: which is a bigger risk...ongoing obesity for this patient, or the surgery? So I'm not saying there are no cases where WLS would help and perhaps save. Obviously, it does. So, just so you know, I'm not minimizing that, either. But when I see "this surgery is less risky than common run-a-day gallbladder surgery! And I feel great"-style posts that claim to inform, well...I just see people who are desperate, reading that, and thinking, "Oh, I'm sure I'll be totally fine." Yes, even bright people; even thinking people. I understand desperation. It absolutely can influence even the brightest people, even the most thinking people, especially if what looks like a life raft is in sight. That's human nature. A balanced and very realistic look needs to be involved here if we're to talk about this at all...IMO. Otherwise, why bother - because both sides of the coin, "Oh silly, don't worry, risks are SO low and I'm doing awesome" and "my God...you will DIE from this!" are equally one-sided tacks to take and both ignore real data.
Sorry, you are correct it's 30 days... not sure why I have it saved as 90 days. As for the .13% that is correct and direct from the same ASMBS statistic we're both quoting. I used the percentage (%) sign for brevity.

Quote:
Data involving nearly 60,000 bariatric patients from ASMBS Bariatric Centers of Excellence database show that the risk of death within the 30 days following bariatric surgery averages 0.13 percent, or approximately one out of 1,000 patients. https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric...misconceptions
Regarding complications- yup some are nasty and irreversible especially the neurological. Others easily fixed. For example, I recently went severely anemic- I did weekly iron infusions for 6 weeks, now once a month. Iron levels are now right smack back in the high side of normal range. Second, I was recently diagnosed with a proximal ulcer, the most common complication after RNY. I'm on mega doses of protonics for 8 weeks then the endoscopy will be performed again. Based on the stats I've been reading, it's more than likely I'll require a revision surgery. I'm not overly concerned by either complication I've now experienced.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 PM

8 posts, read 2,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlucaspope View Post
Here's my view: Weight Loss surgery is useless. Quick, but useless. Will you lose weight quickly, yes. Will you GAIN weight quickly, yes. You do not have the discipline that you gain from changing your eating habits and exercising to sustain your weight loss. If you eat McDonalds everyday before, you will after. If you don't want to end up looking like this, http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...3224614244.jpg, then do it right.
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums.
\
With that said, there is no reason to believe weight loss surgery is some kind of "cheat". It is not. I had the gastric sleeve, and it helped me lose weight. However, keeping the weight off is on me. So anyone considering surgery, don't let them "diss" your choices. Every person has their own path.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
For some people, WLS is a life saver.

For some, that are so addicted to overeating, the WLS helps little to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss