Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:52 AM

586 posts, read 831,434 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about weight loss surgery. I even brought it up with my doctor, but my doctor gave me a big fat no, saying that my life will be forever changed after the procedure. I did some research myself, and there are many risks that I am not willing to take, and I can never tolerate the lifestyle after the procedure. Reading about dump syndrome scares me, and I am sorry, although I am trying to lose weight, I dont want to be miserable if I crave a chocolate chip cookie.

I was following a woman's vlog about having to eat 1000 cal 2 weeks before the procedure. She lost 20 lbs. I know that she started off big, but if someone is able to lose weight by cutting calories, why would they need weight loss surgery? Why couldnt they keep doing what they were doing? Is it really about having the easy way out?

I know that some people have medical conditions, I just dont understand how someone wouldnt lose weight by cutting calories alone...I lost 20 lbs in 6 months. I know thats not a lot, but I didnt kill myself over it. I still ate what I wanted I just cut off the junk. I guess I am just curious. I really was thinking about wls, but after seeing that woman lose 20 lbs prior to surgery, I was thinking whats the point of having one if I could lose weight eating 1200 calories?

Forgot to add - a lot of people regretted it afterwards because of the lifestyle change. They can never eat what they want, even for a special occasion. They also started having panic attacks as soon as they went out to eat because they knew what would happen if they took an extra bite. My doctor sternly told me no, and I agree, I just cant live with restrictive eating for the rest of my life, even after I reach my goal weight.

Guess the purpose of this thread is to get more feedback on wls, and the cons and to talk me out of thinking about it anymore, because on my bad days I am afraid I will pick up the phone and call the surgeon lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I have been thinking about weight loss surgery. I even brought it up with my doctor, but my doctor gave me a big fat no, saying that my life will be forever changed after the procedure. I did some research myself, and there are many risks that I am not willing to take, and I can never tolerate the lifestyle after the procedure. Reading about dump syndrome scares me, and I am sorry, although I am trying to lose weight, I dont want to be miserable if I crave a chocolate chip cookie.

I was following a woman's vlog about having to eat 1000 cal 2 weeks before the procedure. She lost 20 lbs. I know that she started off big, but if someone is able to lose weight by cutting calories, why would they need weight loss surgery? Why couldnt they keep doing what they were doing? Is it really about having the easy way out?

I know that some people have medical conditions, I just dont understand how someone wouldnt lose weight by cutting calories alone...I lost 20 lbs in 6 months. I know thats not a lot, but I didnt kill myself over it. I still ate what I wanted I just cut off the junk. I guess I am just curious. I really was thinking about wls, but after seeing that woman lose 20 lbs prior to surgery, I was thinking whats the point of having one if I could lose weight eating 1200 calories?

Forgot to add - a lot of people regretted it afterwards because of the lifestyle change. They can never eat what they want, even for a special occasion. They also started having panic attacks as soon as they went out to eat because they knew what would happen if they took an extra bite. My doctor sternly told me no, and I agree, I just cant live with restrictive eating for the rest of my life, even after I reach my goal weight.

Guess the purpose of this thread is to get more feedback on wls, and the cons and to talk me out of thinking about it anymore, because on my bad days I am afraid I will pick up the phone and call the surgeon lol.
I can't tell you anything from personal experience here, but as I understand it there can be a number of complications during and following bariatric surgery, besides it being a major surgery, so it's an assault on the body so to speak. The question is whether or not the benefits of such surgery outweigh the risks of those complications, and decisions about having the surgery are based on the benefit:risk ratio.

As I understand it, when obesity has become extreme enough to endanger the life of an individual, this is when bariatric surgery is considered. This can be when the BMI is over 40, or I've heard when it's less but the person has a medical condition ( such as hypertension, cardiac disease,diabetes) that is worsened by the obesity.

In your shoes, I'd take the advice of your surgeon and not go for it if you have been advised to forget it, it may be that in your case the cons do outweigh the pros, and you could be setting yourself up for something you may regret for the rest of your life.As you probably realize, WLS is not the "easy way out" for weight loss, and takes commitment to maintain your health following that surgery. Here are links to articles that discuss some of those complications.

Good luck, and I hope you can make the best decision for you. It's not quick, or painless,no matter what you do, unfortunately.

Complications of Gastric Bypass - Bariatric Surgery Source

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...s/prc-20019138

Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I'm not really sure what you're asking. You seem to be successful at losing weight by dieting, so why would you want to face the unnecessary risks of surgery? Surgery is something that most people do their best to avoid. On top of which, on one level, surgery doesn't solve the underlying problem. The problem isn't the weight. The problem is the lifestyle patterns that result in the weight.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Well, I think you are actually more interested in having the surgery than you are willing to accept. I DID have it done in 2000 - I had a Roux-en-Y, which for me was the right choice. It was live changing, life altering, and life saving. It helped me not only lose approximately 200 pounds (and to this day I have KEPT it off), it rid me of diabetes and high blood pressure, which are rampant in my family history (as is the tendency for overweight.)

My family doctor at the time also said no - because he didn't "believe" in it. I had already been researching it online for approximately 3-4 months, was familiar with the various types of surgeries available, what to expect, who the best surgeons in my area were, and that my insurance would cover it (expect upwards of $30-40K BTW). I left his office in tears and I told him I would be finding myself a new family physician would be more supportive of my needs - and I did just that. I went to seminar on the various surgery types given at the hospital. The presenter was the surgeon that I wanted to do mine - so I got to meet him and ask him questions, I listened to his presentation, met with his staff, and he had some current and past patients share their personal stories with a large group of us. I was impressed and heartened.

Sure, people can cut back and lose some pounds - I did it as well. But keeping it off long term is the issue. We never do...we mean well but we just do not follow through. It all comes back with more of it as well. If everybody could be perfectly controlled, there would be no fat people (unless they truly wanted to be that way!) Trust me in that this is NOT an easy surgery, it is NOT an easy way out. It hurt like hell, it is restrictive, and it takes quite a while to heal and unlearn bad habits. You CAN eat what you want again - just not ALL of it. If you do eat too much, or too much sugary or fatty food - the dumping syndrome will let you know. You will immediately get sick and the first time it happens you will know exactly why it happened. You won't make that mistake again (on purpose anyway).

I have never regretted having mine done. I am alive today because of it. I am happy, and lead a normal life. I got married and have never looked back. There are some who do regret it. Mainly because they would still rather live to eat than to eat to live. Personal choice - I made mine. And BTW - it is not so simple as just phoning your surgeon and setting it up. There are testing procedures you go through (medical and psychological) to make sure you are doing this for the right reasons. Whatever choice you make, I wish you well!!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:56 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times
Quote:

It is one thing to eat 1000 calories a day for 2 weeks. It is another thing to have the willpower to do that forever. It goes against human nature, human nature being to eat. Weight loss surgery takes the daily decision about how much to eat out of your hands so it is no longer a matter of willpower.

Weight loss surgery is only for people whose lives are in immediate danger if they do not do something drastic and permanent to lose weight and keep it off. In medicine doctors talk about "risk to benefit ratio." It is only for people when the benefits of the surgery are more than the risks. It is usually the difference between possibly having side effects or complications from the surgery and definitely dropping dead of a heart attack soon.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post

Sure, people can cut back and lose some pounds - I did it as well. But keeping it off long term is the issue. We never do...we mean well but we just do not follow through. It all comes back with more of it as well. If everybody could be perfectly controlled, there would be no fat people (unless they truly wanted to be that way!) Trust me in that this is NOT an easy surgery, it is NOT an easy way out. It hurt like hell, it is restrictive, and it takes quite a while to heal and unlearn bad habits. You CAN eat what you want again - just not ALL of it. If you do eat too much, or too much sugary or fatty food - the dumping syndrome will let you know. You will immediately get sick and the first time it happens you will know exactly why it happened. You won't make that mistake again (on purpose anyway).

I have never regretted having mine done. I am alive today because of it. I am happy, and lead a normal life. I got married and have never looked back. There are some who do regret it. Mainly because they would still rather live to eat than to eat to live.

And why do you need surgery to do all of this?

Yes, OP, I think that it is the easy way out.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:50 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
I tend to think that most medical advancements create a more feasible alternative then some dietary alone methods.

As stated by some active members who chose this, it's what medically helped.

Heck giving birth is a risk! So let it be between Doctor and patient to decide.

My sister had it done... She is physically challenged on another ailment, yet having kept off the weight has kept her other ailment in check... Stable as opposed to progressively getting worse.

The pros for some are valid enough to seek assistance.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM

586 posts, read 831,434 times
I read articles about how it can significantly improve blood pressure and diabetes...to the point of completely eliminating it. Which leads to my next question: If someone is currently obese, has diabetes or high blood pressure, even both and they have 2 options to either lose weight the natural way or to have surgery wouldnt having surgery (although there are cons) benefit them more medically since it would get rid of their high blood pressure and diabetes? I am really wondering if losing 100 lbs naturally would yield the same health benefits as the wls in regards to improving diabetes and high blood pressure.

However, considering the restrictive life style that patients lead after surgery, it makes total sense that their diabetes and blood pressure would be in check, because they simply can no longer gorge on food, its not physically possible otherwise they would experience the dumping syndrome.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:23 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
I read articles about how it can significantly improve blood pressure and diabetes...to the point of completely eliminating it. Which leads to my next question: If someone is currently obese, has diabetes or high blood pressure, even both and they have 2 options to either lose weight the natural way or to have surgery wouldnt having surgery (although there are cons) benefit them more medically since it would get rid of their high blood pressure and diabetes? I am really wondering if losing 100 lbs naturally would yield the same health benefits as the wls in regards to improving diabetes and high blood pressure.

However, considering the restrictive life style that patients lead after surgery, it makes total sense that their diabetes and blood pressure would be in check, because they simply can no longer gorge on food, its not physically possible otherwise they would experience the dumping syndrome.
It's not the surgery that alleviated the diabetes and hypertension. It is the weight loss.

Losing weight by eating a portion-controlled, calorie sensible diet will be much more beneficial to one's health than having surgery.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
And why do you need surgery to do all of this?

Yes, OP, I think that it is the easy way out.

People who are continuously motivated, absolutely healthy, have no other health issues, or perhaps have NEVER had any issues in their lives with weight probably would never have a need or a thought of having surgery to help them. I personally don't think it is any different than seeking treatment for any other ailment a person may have - if there is a solution available and a person is a candidate. If I had chest pain, or knee pain, or whatever - I would seek treatment. I did the same in this instance.

People who smoke and have lung transplants could have avoided that by not smoking, no? You see my point - all of us choose our poison (or it chooses us in some respect). I respect those who can do it on their own - I wish I could have. But you know - wish in one hand and spit in the other one.....

And BTW, there is NOTHING easy about the surgery. Your opinion is your own - but don't subscribe to a magazine you've never read!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss