Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I want to tell you to PLEASE NOT listen to those who tell you to count calories or that we can't clean out toxins out of the body, the latter are just ignorant about how our bodies work and also do not take into consideration that the world we live in is not the same as only say a couple of centuries ago. Just like when you mop a dirty floor the water eventually becomes dirty too and you'd no longer be cleaning the floor but just smearing the same dirt over it, our bodies have a limited capacity to process the toxins that we're constantly getting in our food, water, air, cleaning products and cosmetics that we now use, so in order to continue "cleaning" we need to throw out the dirty water and get clean water. When our liver, kidneys, skin and lungs have already worked overtime to rid us of toxins they start to accumulate and cause problems and we can most definitely help our bodies by limiting the toxins that we consume AND facilitating the metabolizing and flusing of the excess.

As for calories, their importance in weight loss is very relative, the "calorie in/calorie out" principle is not an ironclad "mathematical" one. We're talking about the HUMAN BODY where there are many factors that can interfere or nulify said principle. It probably works better when we're young and/or healthy, but if a person has spent any amount of time consuming the Standard American Diet with each passing year that principle has fewer chances of being a reality but just wishfull thinking. There's lots and lots of people out there, myself included, that could not lose an ounce while keeping the calories low and any attempt to lower them further just made things worse.

If you've gained weight around your neck it would be good to get your thyroid checked and also your cortisol levels, especially if you have a job or life situatioon that causes you constant stress or maybe you don't get enough sleep and/or at the right time. Also, compromised liver function will make losing weight slow or even totally impossible, so if possible get yourself tested so that you can have an idea if your liver function is more or less ok. I would recommend that you optimize your diet in every way possible and furthermore I'd even recommend that you cut out all dairy and seriously limit your consumption of all other animal foods if you can't eliminate them altogether, they cause inflammation which hinders every organ of the body and cause disease. When I became first a vegetarian last December (and a full vegan 5 weeks later) weight just began melting off of me and I never had to count calories or eat less than I wanted, I even cheated and ate dessert many times. But I'd had hypothyroidism and liver problems for many years so I stopped losing after a couple of months, only after I began taking a supplement to support my liver I began losing again, it's still going very slow but at least I'm hopeful again. And in case you feel you could "never" be a vegan or vegetarian, I'll tell you that there are many out there who at one point felt the same way, myself included.

Best wishes in your journey, even if you chose a different approach, please keep what I said in mind in case you're not totally satisfied with the results.
Please provide evidence that detoxing works. Or in fact that any of what you recommended works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
I want to tell you to PLEASE NOT listen to those who tell you to count calories or that we can't clean out toxins out of the body, the latter are just ignorant about how our bodies work and also do not take into consideration that the world we live in is not the same as only say a couple of centuries ago. Just like when you mop a dirty floor the water eventually becomes dirty too and you'd no longer be cleaning the floor but just smearing the same dirt over it, our bodies have a limited capacity to process the toxins that we're constantly getting in our food, water, air, cleaning products and cosmetics that we now use, so in order to continue "cleaning" we need to throw out the dirty water and get clean water. When our liver, kidneys, skin and lungs have already worked overtime to rid us of toxins they start to accumulate and cause problems and we can most definitely help our bodies by limiting the toxins that we consume AND facilitating the metabolizing and flusing of the excess.

As for calories, their importance in weight loss is very relative, the "calorie in/calorie out" principle is not an ironclad "mathematical" one. We're talking about the HUMAN BODY where there are many factors that can interfere or nulify said principle. It probably works better when we're young and/or healthy, but if a person has spent any amount of time consuming the Standard American Diet with each passing year that principle has fewer chances of being a reality but just wishfull thinking. There's lots and lots of people out there, myself included, that could not lose an ounce while keeping the calories low and any attempt to lower them further just made things worse.

If you've gained weight around your neck it would be good to get your thyroid checked and also your cortisol levels, especially if you have a job or life situatioon that causes you constant stress or maybe you don't get enough sleep and/or at the right time. Also, compromised liver function will make losing weight slow or even totally impossible, so if possible get yourself tested so that you can have an idea if your liver function is more or less ok. I would recommend that you optimize your diet in every way possible and furthermore I'd even recommend that you cut out all dairy and seriously limit your consumption of all other animal foods if you can't eliminate them altogether, they cause inflammation which hinders every organ of the body and cause disease. When I became first a vegetarian last December (and a full vegan 5 weeks later) weight just began melting off of me and I never had to count calories or eat less than I wanted, I even cheated and ate dessert many times. But I'd had hypothyroidism and liver problems for many years so I stopped losing after a couple of months, only after I began taking a supplement to support my liver I began losing again, it's still going very slow but at least I'm hopeful again. And in case you feel you could "never" be a vegan or vegetarian, I'll tell you that there are many out there who at one point felt the same way, myself included.

Best wishes in your journey, even if you chose a different approach, please keep what I said in mind in case you're not totally satisfied with the results.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Take a physics and a human physiology course and then get back to us.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:46 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,021 times
Quote:

Yes and no.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that high-fructose corn syrup can make it difficult to lose weight because of how it affects the liver, which is to say not much differently than alcohol. There is also plenty of research about chemicals called "endocrine disruptors" that are terrible for your body. This is not to speak of all the hormones, antibiotics and god knows what in most meat. I believe that if I had to eat meat now I would throw up because I know what is in it, the filthy conditions the animals live in, how sick animals get into the food supply, and the unhygienic and unsanitary conditions in which meat is processed. Ethics and compassion aside meat is a dirty thing to eat. That is why there is so much food poisoning. The USA is terrible with food cleanliness.

However one reason the USA is so terrible with food cleanliness is because there is so much demand for food! It is all "as much as possible as quickly as possible" in food production but that is because of supply and demand and there is too much demand. If you are fat, you are eating too much for your needs. Different things may change your needs, like if you are ill (including undertreated hypothyroidism), have passed menopause, or are taking some kind of medication like corticosteroids. However it still comes down to if you are fat you are eating too much for your body. People do not become obese by eating the right amount of calories for their needs. People become obese by eating more calories than their bodies need, PERIOD.

A lot of ingredients can cause inflammation. This is a fine point to make but I must make it because a lot of people who stop eating meat replace the meat with the wrong kinds of food, like refined carbohydrates and those will cause inflammation too.

The best way to eat food is as close to its naturally occurring form as possible. The less processing the better.

This is one more reason I do not eat meat. If you have to cook something to kill disease and parasites in it, maybe you should not be trying to eat something that could have disease and parasites in it in the first place!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Take a physics and a human physiology course and then get back to us.
Hahaha, nice condescending tone. You're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about, please try to learn about the functions of the organs I just mentioned, they're not in your body for decoration and while you're at it learn some humility, displaced cockiness doesn't suit any adult very well.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Please provide evidence that detoxing works. Or in fact that any of what you recommended works.
Nice try, you're not the OP so I don't have to provide you with anything. If you knew how the body works you wouldn't be asking for "evidence". Do your own research, you're obviously just repeating nonsense that you read or were taught somewhere.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Yes and no.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that high-fructose corn syrup can make it difficult to lose weight because of how it affects the liver, which is to say not much differently than alcohol. There is also plenty of research about chemicals called "endocrine disruptors" that are terrible for your body. This is not to speak of all the hormones, antibiotics and god knows what in most meat. I believe that if I had to eat meat now I would throw up because I know what is in it, the filthy conditions the animals live in, how sick animals get into the food supply, and the unhygienic and unsanitary conditions in which meat is processed. Ethics and compassion aside meat is a dirty thing to eat. That is why there is so much food poisoning. The USA is terrible with food cleanliness.

However one reason the USA is so terrible with food cleanliness is because there is so much demand for food! It is all "as much as possible as quickly as possible" in food production but that is because of supply and demand and there is too much demand. If you are fat, you are eating too much for your needs. Different things may change your needs, like if you are ill (including undertreated hypothyroidism), have passed menopause, or are taking some kind of medication like corticosteroids. However it still comes down to if you are fat you are eating too much for your body. People do not become obese by eating the right amount of calories for their needs. People become obese by eating more calories than their bodies need, PERIOD.

A lot of ingredients can cause inflammation. This is a fine point to make but I must make it because a lot of people who stop eating meat replace the meat with the wrong kinds of food, like refined carbohydrates and those will cause inflammation too.

The best way to eat food is as close to its naturally occurring form as possible. The less processing the better.

This is one more reason I do not eat meat. If you have to cook something to kill disease and parasites in it, maybe you should not be trying to eat something that could have disease and parasites in it in the first place!
I agree that there are other foods that cause inflammation, like sugar, but anyone trying to lose weight knows that AND animal products are extremely abundant in the SAD (standard American diet), nobody can deny that. Put it all together and you have a recipe for disaster, in any case, contrary to popular belief, we are NOT designed to eat meat anyway and have no business drinking milk after being weaned, and especially not that of another species, nor its byproducts.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Nice try, you're not the OP so I don't have to provide you with anything. If you knew how the body works you wouldn't be asking for "evidence". Do your own research, you're obviously just repeating nonsense that you read or were taught somewhere.
So you cannot provide any. Did not think so. Feel free to continue to post crackpot theories, I will feel free to call you on them.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
Hahaha, nice condescending tone. You're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about, please try to learn about the functions of the organs I just mentioned, they're not in your body for decoration and while you're at it learn some humility, displaced cockiness doesn't suit any adult very well.
Please explain the physiology of detoxing. What, exactly, is happening in the cells? What are the metabolic processes that are occurring during detox?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay, so I guess I was wrong about vegetables being low-carb, but I know something about that diet did not make me feel good. I was hungry all of the time, and my body felt like it was trying to reject what food I had eaten. It was like having heartburn or indigestion all of the time. Maybe there was too much acid in my stomach? I felt like I needed some kind of grain to balance it all out. I don't usually experience problems like that, but I certainly did when I tried that all meat and vegetable thing for a few days. It was horrible.

I'm not trying to make excuses concerning losing weight, but I don't want to torture myself either. Eating only meat and greens made me feel like I wasn't eating anything, almost.
It's not in your head. The same thing happened to me when I got in the habit of eating grain-free breakfasts; I would have eggs and fruit or eggs and cabbage "hash browns" and wind up with really bad reflux and stomach pains. I swapped out an egg for either oatmeal or whole wheat toast and the problem stopped. That can happen when you aren't getting enough insoluble fiber. Whole grains and beans are the richest sources, so if you eliminate them from your diet in favor of more proteins and fats, you can run into some digestive issues. You need to compensate by making sure you're eating a lot of produce, especially leafy greens, berries, and skin-on fruit.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 09-02-2016 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 AM

797 posts, read 751,869 times
Fast,but fast with sense. Dont eat junk. Eat fruits,apples,veggies,organic if possible. Stil cheaper than eating junk at mcdonalds.
Limit alcohol and sugar.
Sleep properly(8-10 hrs)
Stay active.
Learn something new.
HIIT works great as far as activity goes.
Stay away from anything processed food and cosmetic wise.
Repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss