Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

I'm 70 and not getting any older, LOL.

Breakfast used to be cereal, orange juice, and coffee, lunch was whatever they served at work, supper was whatever I cooked--meat, potato/rice/two vegetables. Snack might have been popcorn or corn chips, sometimes cake or even ice cream.

In retirement I can't eat that much and I have more time so
(allergic to all dairy products)
Breakfast might be a poached egg over spinach or soup made from stock (made in the slow cooker) with a few bits of vegetables and some miso. It could be pancakes made from garbanzo bean flour (or coconut meal or anything that can be turned into a flour) with real maple syrup. Sometimes it's still cereal with almond milk and sliced bananas on top. Cup of tea with almond milk in it.

Lunch might be a nuked Amy's dairy free burrito. Or, in warm weather, a smoothie of almond milk and some sort of fruit and vegetable mixture. It might be just a hot dog. Maybe a slice of bread with peanut butter and raisins. In winter it might be soup, homemade or out of a can with some steamed carrots tossed in.

Dinner might be meat (lamb, beef, chicken, turkey) in some form, maybe baked, roasted, in meatloaf, etc. Or in a stew made in the slow cooker. Along with two vegetables that are easy like baked sweet potatoes, mashed turnip, squash, broccoli, carrots, a small salad. Might make some chile--I use the slow cooker a lot.

Snack might be home made blueberry muffins, banana bread, popcorn (hot air popper), corn chips with hummus. I try to use Truvia along with real sugar so I don't go way high on the sugar intake in my baking.

I've never been that good of an eater, just kind of ordinary traditional, but I also never ate junk food. Never drank soda either. Plain water is my constant companion.

I try to go out every other week to a restaurant for fresh baked haddock just to get some fish into my life. My weakness is chocolate cake when I do go out to eat. Sometimes I'll weaken in the hot weather and eat Haagen Das-very bad due to the dairy allergy and extremely fattening and unhealthy. But I have been on strict allergy diets and was miserable and those treats are really good!

Until a few years ago I wore a size 10, same as in college. But my ex loved to eat out--that's how I went up a size and sometimes even have to go into a size 14. I can lose weight really easily if I am sick and stop eating but I don't care that much because I'm not really overweight for my height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 04:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
I am 52 years old. As of this past summer, I was probably 10 lbs overweight. To see me in my clothes, you'd never think so, but I am of average/tall height (about 5'8") but I was at about 156 lbs. I have a very small frame so, while I wasn't a large person, I had lots of excess fat.

At first I tried just kind of eating better, but that did nothing for my weight. So I logged in over at MyFitnessPal, determined that to lose weight, I could only eat 1200 calories (I was not exercising) so I bit the bullet and did it. I started in September and did the 1200 calories for about 3 weeks (lost 3 lbs). I then wanted to start exercising a bit but could not do it well on low calories, so ever since October, I've been at around 1400 calories a day. Sometimes I go over. Anyway, I'm down 14 lbs and am pretty happy.

My typical day is:

Breakfast (around 240 calories). It could be two eggs with onion and turkey sausage crumbles or a bowl of shredded wheat with 1% milk. I always have hot tea with 2 tsp. of sugar in it.

Lunch is around 300 calories and is either some sort of frozen meal or leftovers. Turkey chili is a big "go to" for me. I can get a good-sized serving for 250 calories.

I might have snack between lunch and dinner such as Siggi's Vanilla Yogurt or Skinny Pop popcorn.

Dinner is generally in the 400 calorie range and it's something like 3-4 oz of lean meat and two types of green veggie or squash. I rarely eat rice or potatoes since they are calorie dense but I do eat them occasionally.

I save some room at night for some sort of sweet treat like a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or an Outshine popsicle.

I no longer drink soda at all unless I make it a real treat.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Breakfast (10 am): Bulletproof coffee (coffee blended with coconut oil)

Lunch (2 pm): hardboiled eggs, steamed cauliflower with butter and shredded cheese.

Dinner (6 pm): two skin-on chicken thighs, baked in coconut oil. 1 small square 86% cacao. Almonds.

I am at normal weight and wear the same size clothing I did in college (medium).

I follow a ketogenic way of eating. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, plain yogurt, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, romaine, chicken, pork, beef, avocado, etc.

I drink a lot of water (60-90 oz a day) and have tea in the evening.

Tomorrow's breakfast will be bulletproof coffee (as it is every morning - I am never hungry in the morning).
Lunch will be an avocado, 1 cup of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon chia seeds stirred in, and almonds.
Dinner will be probably some eggs and cheese with spinach with some meat.

I never eat wheat, potatoes, sugar, or rice.

There is sugar in your chocolate, unless you buy a sugar free brand.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
I do not have a set regimine for eating because I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full.
I also eat what I want and this morning I think I am going to have Butter Brickle Ice Cream for breakfast.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I am 50 years old and just a little bit overweight. I love healthy foods but I also love sweets and I do tend to overeat and I know I eat more than I should…so:

What does a normal day of eating look like for you? Meals/snacks etc. And are you at a healthy weight and what is your age? I know I need to eat less as I get older.

Thanks.
Not only is it harder to shed weight as we age, I've found that my system just doesn't tolerate certain things like it used to. My typical day starts with either yogurt or oatmeal, some nuts like pecans or almonds, (maybe a dozen or so), and low-fat milk. For lunch I try to stick with soup of a very light sandwich, and supper is minimal, sometimes only a Carnation breakfast drink. When I get the munchies in between meals, I'll have a few crackers or fruit.

This time of year is especially tough because hubby and I both like to bake! Ugh.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:19 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
And that's enough for you? I think I'd starve if I ate that little... is it even 1,000 calories?
I thought her (Peachsalsa) menu sounded great. It makes me want to get back on the low carb wagon. You would be shocked at how little protein is takes to feel full and not get hungry later. A hard boiled egg or a small amount of cheese will get me through til dinner, no problem.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Hmm! 49 years old here, perimenopausal, hypothyroid (treated).

I eat around 1400 calories a day, or sometimes up to about 1600. I like lots of protein, as it keeps my appetite "normal." But I don't eat low-carb per se. I eat around 100 on up to 150 grams of carbs per day. Protein is probably around 70 grams. (I still log on My Fitness Pal, which is how I know.)

I have yogurt almost every day. It's my go-to breakfast when I have breakfast.

I have a treat every night. I usually have chocolate for dessert, or something else treat-y.

I love things like chicken or egg salad for lunch. I might have an ounce of pasta with the salad, or I might not. It depends. Then I'll usually load it with veggies, as I like bulk. For dinner I will have some big protein, a side, veggies and dessert. I like fruit, too. I also love granola bars. As for "junk," that could be anything, and I'm only pointing it out as junk because that's how people generally see it...it's really just food. So, Baked Lays, or tater tots, or something else really processed would be included in that category. And yep, I eat it. Last night for dessert I had some white chocolate almond bark. We picked it up on a walk through town.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I thought her (Peachsalsa) menu sounded great. It makes me want to get back on the low carb wagon. You would be shocked at how little protein is takes to feel full and not get hungry later. A hard boiled egg or a small amount of cheese will get me through til dinner, no problem.
I found that to be true last year when I went high protein/low carb/high fat--(sort of paleo.) I was never hungry and my weight stayed the same although if I had wanted to lose weight I would have just cut out all the baked goods I was making. I find egg to be really filling. If I could eat cheese, that would be enough too, although it tends to pack weight on--it would for me because I wouldn't be able to stop eating it.

I do not believe in eating processed foods though. (I will in a pinch, of course--if on the road and starving!) The paleo diet required staying home a lot, cooking. It was pretty healthy though because it was real food. (That diet wasn't appropriate for me because I just couldn't digest that amount of fat.) I don't know what it is about food that comes in a box or a can but it's not the same as actual food. There are articles written about it. Also articles written about the effects of soda.

I see people talking about tater tots and I don't know what they are. Same with pop tarts. Same with microwave popcorn. To eat a potato, you just take a potato and bake it. Even just nuke it. Boil it. Mash it. But it is real food. Simple.

To make popcorn, you buy a jar of popping corn and put it into a corn popper and pop it. It is real food. Carrots-peel and steam. It is real food. But the stuff that comes out of a container ready-made contains all sorts of non food ingredients and it does something to the human body over time.

I don't think you have to be a purist and NEVER eat anything pre-made. I mean, most of us will eat potato chips and not make them ourselves. Corn chips too. I don't usually make my own guacamole and have never made hummus in my life. I admit to being horrible sometimes at eating and I think most of us can and do eat awful things at times. But those are not the usual foods that we eat. I think there's a pretty distinct line between what is real food and what is fast/fake/processed food.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,560 times
41 years old.
Breakfast:
Mashed vegetable soup (no potatoes etc).

Lunch:
Roasted chicken or salmon with lettuce.

Dinner: Greek yogurt.

Snacks: Carrots and cabbage.

No soda, no breads, no sweets.

Lost 70 pounds in a year.
Need to lose 20 more.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Yesterday I had coffee and water. I ate a ham sandwich(evil carbs), a sweet potato, and ribs. And 2 cookies. It was all homemade. But it was a bad day for me!

Maybe today I will do better. So far, only coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss