Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times

Advertisements

I am 50 years old and just a little bit overweight. I love healthy foods but I also love sweets and I do tend to overeat and I know I eat more than I should…so:

What does a normal day of eating look like for you? Meals/snacks etc. And are you at a healthy weight and what is your age? I know I need to eat less as I get older.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:49 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I am 68 and would be better if I lost 40 lbs. I am tall, so I can hide it fairly well. I eat very little, but apparently it is still too much, mainly because bad knees keep me from doing a lot of walking. I ate low carb for about a year and lost 11#, but lately I've taken a break from hard core low carb, so I eat root vegetables and whole grains.

Anyway a typical day would be a small bowl of granola, or a slice of whole grain toast with butter for breakfast.
Lunch would be 1/2 a sandwich.
Dinner would be 2 cocktails (empty calories which the body burns like carbs, I know), 4-6 oz of meat, some kind of potato and a vegetable or salad. Dessert is very rare, and we do not snack, or drink soda.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I am 55 and about 8 pounds over my ideal weight right now. Breakfast is usually half of a whole grain english muffin with about 1/4 avocado and 1 egg, either scrambled or hard boiled, or I will make an open face PB&J.

Lunch can be almost anything because my job feeds us. A lot of time it is fairly heavy so I just eat a small amount. Or I will have leftovers from the meal the night before.

Dinner is usually heavy on veggies, protein like salmon, or other fish that is fresh, chicken or beef. That is about half the time, other times are vegetarian fare like curries, and soups.
We love to cook and only use fresh foods, nothing packaged.
Most nights I will drink 2 glasses of wine (the 8 pounds!)

Old 12-04-2016, 01:36 PM

342 posts, read 438,031 times
In order to loose 8 pounds I stopped eating any dairy - milk (even low fat) and yogurt (even sugar free non-fat Greek), cheese because it is high calories food. No any flower (any kinds of bread or pasta). There is a difference between healthy foods like Greek yogurt and whole wheat bread and foods that you should not eat when you want to loose weight.
No any gluten, simple sugars, alcohol,very limited amounts of fruits and berries. Everything measure to a gram. No salmon (high calories and fat), instead - white fish like tilapia and mahi-mahi. Also steak, chicken,egg whites, brown rice, no-carb protein powder, unsweetened almond milk.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:46 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
In order to loose 8 pounds I stopped eating any dairy - milk (even low fat) and yogurt (even sugar free non-fat Greek), cheese because it is high calories food. No any flower (any kinds of bread or pasta). There is a difference between healthy foods like Greek yogurt and whole wheat bread and foods that you should not eat when you want to loose weight.
No any gluten, simple sugars, alcohol,very limited amounts of fruits and berries. Everything measure to a gram. No salmon (high calories and fat), instead - white fish like tilapia and mahi-mahi. Also steak, chicken,egg whites, brown rice, no-carb protein powder, unsweetened almond milk.
Your approach has no logical basis. It worked for you because you consumed less calories than you burned.
Gluten does not have anything to do with losing weight. If you have a gluten intolerance you should avoid it, but for the majority of the population gluten poses no problem whatsoever.
Salmon is just about the healthiest fish you can eat because of its fat content.
Please look into a nutrition course because it seems you are fairly confused.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am 68 and would be better if I lost 40 lbs. I am tall, so I can hide it fairly well. I eat very little, but apparently it is still too much, mainly because bad knees keep me from doing a lot of walking. I ate low carb for about a year and lost 11#, but lately I've taken a break from hard core low carb, so I eat root vegetables and whole grains.

Anyway a typical day would be a small bowl of granola, or a slice of whole grain toast with butter for breakfast.
Lunch would be 1/2 a sandwich.
Dinner would be 2 cocktails (empty calories which the body burns like carbs, I know), 4-6 oz of meat, some kind of potato and a vegetable or salad. Dessert is very rare, and we do not snack, or drink soda.
Wow…that is not much.

I don't drink soda or alcohol but I do snack way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am 55 and about 8 pounds over my ideal weight right now. Breakfast is usually half of a whole grain english muffin with about 1/4 avocado and 1 egg, either scrambled or hard boiled, or I will make an open face PB&J.

Lunch can be almost anything because my job feeds us. A lot of time it is fairly heavy so I just eat a small amount. Or I will have leftovers from the meal the night before.

Dinner is usually heavy on veggies, protein like salmon, or other fish that is fresh, chicken or beef. That is about half the time, other times are vegetarian fare like curries, and soups.
We love to cook and only use fresh foods, nothing packaged.
Most nights I will drink 2 glasses of wine (the 8 pounds!)

That sounds pretty healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I eat low fat dairy as I am afraid of bone loss. I do have to watch the cheese though. I love cheese. I do lose if I cut carbs but I cannot live like that. I do munch on almonds and fruit sometimes. The almonds are high in fat but they are good for you, in small quantities.

Either way it's about what works for you. Today I was very bad but I know I will get back on track. Here is my bad day 1/2 chicken sandwich on light whole grain bread for breakfast, 1/2 Philly Cheesesteak for lunch with onion rings and ring dings for dinner. I don't need any lectures. I really do know what I am "supposed" to eat.

Tomorrow will be better…I'm heading out to a huge flea market and they have a fresh produce building I'm taking my big tote with me.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I'm 38, body weight on the low end of normal; straddling that fine line between lean and scrawny.

Typical day:

Breakfast
Oatmeal made with vanilla soy milk and either berries or peaches
Half of a grapefruit

Lunch
Trough of salad with either baked tofu, beans, or hard boiled egg, Newman's Lite Italian dressing. Some toast if I'm extra hungry that day.

Dinner
Some combination of grains or starch, veggies, and a protein (beans, legumes, maybe a piece of fish or meatless meatballs every now and then)

I'm not much of a snacker, but when I do have one it's usually fruit and some peanut butter, or some raw veggies and Triscuits. Although when I'm PMSing all bets are off; I'm a human dumpster for a few days, and will claw the face off anyone who gets between me and my jalapeño preztel pieces and nondairy chocolate chips.

Beverages are usually black coffee, water, or plain tea. A few beers on the weekend.

Note: I am allergic to dairy, do not like meat or sweets, and eat very little fat due to a digestive disorder and wonky gallbladder).

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 12-04-2016 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Breakfast (10 am): Bulletproof coffee (coffee blended with coconut oil)

Lunch (2 pm): hardboiled eggs, steamed cauliflower with butter and shredded cheese.

Dinner (6 pm): two skin-on chicken thighs, baked in coconut oil. 1 small square 86% cacao. Almonds.

I am at normal weight and wear the same size clothing I did in college (medium).

I follow a ketogenic way of eating. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, plain yogurt, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, romaine, chicken, pork, beef, avocado, etc.

I drink a lot of water (60-90 oz a day) and have tea in the evening.

Tomorrow's breakfast will be bulletproof coffee (as it is every morning - I am never hungry in the morning).
Lunch will be an avocado, 1 cup of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon chia seeds stirred in, and almonds.
Dinner will be probably some eggs and cheese with spinach with some meat.

I never eat wheat, potatoes, sugar, or rice.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:50 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Breakfast (10 am): Bulletproof coffee (coffee blended with coconut oil)

Lunch (2 pm): hardboiled eggs, steamed cauliflower with butter and shredded cheese.

Dinner (6 pm): two skin-on chicken thighs, baked in coconut oil. 1 small square 86% cacao. Almonds.

I am at normal weight and wear the same size clothing I did in college (medium).

I follow a ketogenic way of eating. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, plain yogurt, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, romaine, chicken, pork, beef, avocado, etc.

I drink a lot of water (60-90 oz a day) and have tea in the evening.

Tomorrow's breakfast will be bulletproof coffee (as it is every morning - I am never hungry in the morning).
Lunch will be an avocado, 1 cup of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon chia seeds stirred in, and almonds.
Dinner will be probably some eggs and cheese with spinach with some meat.

I never eat wheat, potatoes, sugar, or rice.
And that's enough for you? I think I'd starve if I ate that little... is it even 1,000 calories?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
And that's enough for you? I think I'd starve if I ate that little... is it even 1,000 calories?
I did not give amounts! Three hardboiled eggs. 4 cups of cauliflower with 1-2 tablespoons butter and 1/3 cup cheese. I've eaten probably 2 ounces of almonds today.

I had 2 cups of coffee with 2 tablespoons coconut oil in it.

In a typical day, I ingest 1300-1500 calories. Sometimes a few more, sometimes a few less. It works very well for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss