Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

I lost about 55 lb on a low carb diet. After a while I stopped losing and over the last few months I have even gained a few pounds. I am 51 years old and female and weigh around 190 lb. I exercise 4 days a week (cardio and weightlifting).

A typical day's food looks like:

Coffee with cream
Protein Bar after workout
Salad with chicken/dressing
Some sort of meat, fish or poultry with veggies (I just had fish with spinach and squash)
Sometimes a handful of nuts or a few cheese cubes for a snack

I saw my doctor and she told me that she does not think I eat enough and that I am probably gaining weight because my metabolism is too slow. She wants me to take Phentermine for a few months to increase my metabolism. She prescribed a 30 day supply and I have another appointment at the end of the month.

Does anyone have experience with this drug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Read this. It seems there is a simple leg exercise to increase metabolism (buying a machine not necessary). I was skeptical when I read the article, but the science is there. In the midst of practicing it for myself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.170ddeb5ad28

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant/stimulant. Like any stimulant, it increases heartbeat and blood pressure which increase metabolism. But the body soon gets tolerant to it in about 2 weeks. It can be good to start a diet or for a short-term diet, but as they say, your mileage may vary.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 AM

15 posts, read 32,866 times
You have to do refeed day. Just increase your carbs level to a maintanance level of daily calorie intake for 1-2 days. Than go back on your diet (to loose weight is no necessary do do low carb diet. Calorie deficit is crucial). You will gain some weight but it will be only water but that helps speed up your metabolism. If you need help with that, let me know.
Cheers

Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Read this. It seems there is a simple leg exercise to increase metabolism (buying a machine not necessary). I was skeptical when I read the article, but the science is there. In the midst of practicing it for myself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.170ddeb5ad28

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant/stimulant. Like any stimulant, it increases heartbeat and blood pressure which increase metabolism. But the body soon gets tolerant to it in about 2 weeks. It can be good to start a diet or for a short-term diet, but as they say, your mileage may vary.
Very interesting article but it doesn't say HOW to reverse fluid pooling. Do you have any ideas? I am going to ask my trainer about it. Thank you for the information. It is very interesting. I do have a desk job and I have my Fitbit set to buzz me to make sure I get at least 250 steps per hour. I walk out into the lobby and walk around a bit each hour but maybe that isn't enough.

The doctor wants me on the Phentermine for about a month, to increase my metabolism a bit. She said the max I would be on it would be 3 months but she gave me a prescription for one month to start. I am a bit concerned about taking it because it seems a little scary but she seems to think that it is worth trying for a month in addition to eating a little more.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Very interesting article but it doesn't say HOW to reverse fluid pooling. Do you have any ideas? I am going to ask my trainer about it. Thank you for the information. It is very interesting. I do have a desk job and I have my Fitbit set to buzz me to make sure I get at least 250 steps per hour. I walk out into the lobby and walk around a bit each hour but maybe that isn't enough.
The article says that doing the soleus muscle exercise stops the pooling. That would be going up and down on the balls of your feet. This cannot be done while sitting, because you're not getting enough weight-lifting, that is, lifting the full weight of the body. Only while standing can it be done.

"...pooling of fluid when sitting is limited because specialized muscles in the calves of the legs — the soleus muscles — pump blood and interstitial fluid back up to the heart."

Can go fix your desk to be standing part of your day? Some people possibly cannot, which is why the article mentioned the new machine that can do the exercise for you while sitting. But it's $595.
https://www.sonostics.com

Another option is an inversion table, but that won't raise your metabolic rate.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:
I lost about 55 lb on a low carb diet. After a while I stopped losing and over the last few months I have even gained a few pounds. I am 51 years old and female and weigh around 190 lb. I exercise 4 days a week (cardio and weightlifting).

A typical day's food looks like:

Coffee with cream
Protein Bar after workout
Salad with chicken/dressing
Some sort of meat, fish or poultry with veggies (I just had fish with spinach and squash)
Sometimes a handful of nuts or a few cheese cubes for a snack

I saw my doctor and she told me that she does not think I eat enough and that I am probably gaining weight because my metabolism is too slow. She wants me to take Phentermine for a few months to increase my metabolism. She prescribed a 30 day supply and I have another appointment at the end of the month.

Does anyone have experience with this drug?

I don't think you need Phentermine. I would just cut the protein bar as well as the nuts and cheese, and replace it with more fruits and veggies.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I don't think you need Phentermine. I would just cut the protein bar as well as the nuts and cheese, and replace it with more fruits and veggies.
My doctor thinks I am not eating enough calories. How would your suggestion help?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Why would you recommend cutting the most filling nutrient (protein) and replacing it with more calorically dense but less filling nutrients?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
My doctor thinks I am not eating enough calories. How would your suggestion help?
If your doctor thinks you aren't getting enough calories, why did they put you on a drug that basically kills your appetite? That makes no sense.

To answer your question though, phentermine does exhibit some increase in metabolic rate but it's primary method of action is through appetite reduction.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
If your doctor thinks you aren't getting enough calories, why did they put you on a drug that basically kills your appetite? That makes no sense.

To answer your question though, phentermine does exhibit some increase in metabolic rate but it's primary method of action is through appetite reduction.
She wants to increase my metabolic rate and she feels that the drug will do that temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss