Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,243,809 times

Advertisements

(As mentioned in the keto thread)

The study itself is behind a paywall, but one of my favorite blogs covered it: [url=http://www.precisionnutrition.com/carbohydrate-tolerance-genes]Carbohydrate tolerance: Is your ability to eat carbs determined by your genes? | Precision Nutrition[/url]

I think it sheds light on why some of us do so well on a higher carb diet, while others thrive on a lower carb diet. It always fascinates me to read posts about weight creeping up just from having too much fruit, but meanwhile, the only time the number on the scale went up for me (aside from pregnancy, of course) was when I went keto for while... and went back down after going back to the higher carb habits I've been on for my entire adult life. Logically, there is no reason the opposite couldn't be true for someone else.

Hopefully we can move past the "If it didn't work, you must have did it wrong" canard, and recognize that more extreme diets (with high or low anything) are a Your Mileage May Vary type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Great article, thanks for digging that up. I'm the one who gains weight from fruit, cut out breads/pasta/rice decades ago and thrive on the grilled salmon and broccoli dinner.

One of my favorite things to eat was carrots & hummus, but that was too high carb for me.

I do best on two meals a day, seafood/meats/eggs and veggies.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,765,087 times
A friend of mine is one of those people who is pencil-thin. He was out of work for a while, and gained 10 or so lbs. He bought slightly bigger clothes. Eventually he found a job, and lost the extra weight. He tried on some of his dress clothes, and said:

"All my clothes are too BIG, this is SO depressing"!!!!!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...

Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
(As mentioned in the keto thread)

The study itself is behind a paywall, but one of my favorite blogs covered it: Carbohydrate tolerance: Is your ability to eat carbs determined by your genes? | Precision Nutrition

I think it sheds light on why some of us do so well on a higher carb diet, while others thrive on a lower carb diet. It always fascinates me to read posts about weight creeping up just from having too much fruit, but meanwhile, the only time the number on the scale went up for me (aside from pregnancy, of course) was when I went keto for while... and went back down after going back to the higher carb habits I've been on for my entire adult life. Logically, there is no reason the opposite couldn't be true for someone else.

Hopefully we can move past the "If it didn't work, you must have did it wrong" canard, and recognize that more extreme diets (with high or low anything) are a Your Mileage May Vary type of thing.
Thank you for posting this. I have always been an advocate of supporting whatever works for the individual. Its when people start saying their way of eating is the only way that works is when we get into trouble.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,544,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Thank you for posting this. I have always been an advocate of supporting whatever works for the individual. Its when people start saying their way of eating is the only way that works is when we get into trouble.
We get into trouble when people start blaming things like genes for their weight problems. People have been blaming their genes for being fat for 25 years now. The issue is the human body is the same as it was 50 years ago, before two-thirds of American adults became overweight. Eating too much is to blame. Portion distortion is to blame. Being sedentary is to blame. Too many conveniences are to blame. When people are so lazy they will not even use a manual can-opener, all of this research goes right out the window.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
We get into trouble when people start blaming things like genes for their weight problems. People have been blaming their genes for being fat for 25 years now. The issue is the human body is the same as it was 50 years ago, before two-thirds of American adults became overweight. Eating too much is to blame. Portion distortion is to blame. Being sedentary is to blame. Too many conveniences are to blame. When people are so lazy they will not even use a manual can-opener, all of this research goes right out the window.
I do not think this is about blaming genes but learning about what kind of diet works best. Plenty of people rave about Keto and low carbing. I cannot tolerate that kind of eating.
I do agree that making excuses is the number one reason why people remain overweight or obese. They are always looking for an excuse or a quick fix. They fear being hungry so fat and protein appeals to them because its filling. I get full eating complex carbs. Different strokes.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,243,809 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you read the link, but it's not about shirking personal responsibility. It's looking at legitimate physiological differences in how people digest carbohydrates. That was one of the points addressed: how people with more amylase in their saliva eat less because they feel satiety quicker than someone with less amylase; satiety is a huge factor overeating.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:23 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Quote:
No, it's not necessarily being sedentary or portion distortion for every overweight person. This article clearly points out that people are different.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, it's not necessarily being sedentary or portion distortion for every overweight person. This article clearly points out that people are different.
Unless you have some rare condition, and I do mean rare, it is all about portion size (depending on the type of food and caloric content) and movement.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,544,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm not sure if you read the link, but it's not about shirking personal responsibility. It's looking at legitimate physiological differences in how people digest carbohydrates. That was one of the points addressed: how people with more amylase in their saliva eat less because they feel satiety quicker than someone with less amylase; satiety is a huge factor overeating.
I did read the link. My point is that now there will be people who say "Oh, I am fat because I am 'carbohydrate intolerant.'" It will be just like people who blame their "thyroid condition" or "big bones."

No, they are fat because they eat more than their body needs. That is always the reason. Always. If you are "carbohydrate intolerant" or have a "thyroid condition" or "big bones" you still must eat ONLY what your body needs. You must adjust your intake. If this means you learn to eat less and you learn to eat differently, then that is what you must do. Too many people don't. "I have a thyroid condition" and then they order dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Not THAT much different. There is no reason for 2/3 of Americans to be overweight or obese other than that they eat too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Unless you have some rare condition, and I do mean rare, it is all about portion size (depending on the type of food and caloric content) and movement.
Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss