Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The stape carbohydrate in your country is:
Rice 6 20.69%
Fries 2 6.90%
Potatoes 12 41.38%
Others 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 PM

156 posts, read 287,395 times

Advertisements

I believe most of us have 'fillers' along with our meals. Be it rice, fries or potatoes, depending on the region we live in. These carbohydrates are the real fillers in our stomach while the rest of the food are probably for taste, I guess.

I grew up on rice so that's considered the staple carbohydrate for many people where I live. It can be fashioned in many ways (steamed rice, fried rice, glutinous dessert, etc). I had my first contact with french fries when I was a child at McDonald's and it didn't come across to me as a form of carbohydrate; it felt more like a fun snack.

Potatoes were more fancy as they appeared in 'Western cuisine' like a plate of steak. I used to hate it because the starchy composition was so much more filling than rice! But now, I actually like a dollop of sour cream on a piping hot open-faced potato, with a sprinkling of chives.

What about you? What's the staple carbohydrate where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
You forgot bread. Traditionally more bread and potatoes, but due to our multicultural nature, many are eating more rice, pasta, noodles, couscous, polenta, semolina, quinoa.etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I believe most of us have 'fillers' along with our meals. Be it rice, fries or potatoes, depending on the region we live in. These carbohydrates are the real fillers in our stomach while the rest of the food are probably for taste, I guess.

I grew up on rice so that's considered the staple carbohydrate for many people where I live. It can be fashioned in many ways (steamed rice, fried rice, glutinous dessert, etc). I had my first contact with french fries when I was a child at McDonald's and it didn't come across to me as a form of carbohydrate; it felt more like a fun snack.

Potatoes were more fancy as they appeared in 'Western cuisine' like a plate of steak. I used to hate it because the starchy composition was so much more filling than rice! But now, I actually like a dollop of sour cream on a piping hot open-faced potato, with a sprinkling of chives.

What about you? What's the staple carbohydrate where you live?
Well you have potato in chicken curry, or at least some forms of it. My mum used to always put large chunks of potatoes in chicken curry.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM

545 posts, read 866,202 times
Here I think its pastas and bread. Then potatoes and rice. And french fries are fried potatoes.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM

156 posts, read 287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You forgot bread. Traditionally more bread and potatoes, but due to our multicultural nature, many are eating more rice, pasta, noodles, couscous, polenta, semolina, quinoa.etc.
Yeah, how could i have left out the quintessential bread! I don't think I can edit the poll, but well.

Speaking of which, bread in Singapore is more like a breakfast item slathered on with jam and what-nots. It is hardly seen during the rest of the day in the form of an accompaniment. I could never imagine breaking off a morsel of bread and eating it as-is until I went to France and discovered how magnificently tasty plain bread can be.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Yeah, how could i have left out the quintessential bread! I don't think I can edit the poll, but well.

Speaking of which, bread in Singapore is more like a breakfast item slathered on with jam and what-nots. It is hardly seen during the rest of the day in the form of an accompaniment. I could never imagine breaking off a morsel of bread and eating it as-is until I went to France and discovered how magnificently tasty plain bread can be.
That's true. Bread in Singapore tends to be sweetish too, I've noticed, mostly white bread you eat at breakfast. There are a lot of those Asian bakeries like Breadtop with mostly sweetish bread as well. Not much of a traditional of European style artisian bread-making, although I'm sure that's sure to change. Of course there are sandwiches and burgers.etc in Singapore... Then you also have the traditional Chinese steamed buns, bao tzu, as well as Indian unleavened breads like naan and various rotis (roti paratha/prata is well known). I haven't seen many of the breads typical of northern China, however, or scallion pancakes much for that matter.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
US here - bread is the answer. I guess potatoes would come next for the general population, but in my house it would be bread, quinoa, rice, potatoes probably, in that order.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Most Canadians are big time carb eaters. If they are carbs we eat them. potatoes, rice, and tons of breads. Most times when people are eating a pasta main course they are also eating a loaf or two of good crusty bread with that.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Fries are potatoes.

In our home it is bread first, then pasta and the rare treat is potatoes. As far as the rest of the USA I have no clue.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
In our house in Australia it's normally rice first then bread and.potatoes, we hardly ever eat pasta. Australia wide I'm sure bread and potatoes would be the front runners followed by rice and pasta.

The bread in Seoul seems to be all of the sweat variety, right now i would just love to get my hands on a traditional loaf of whole grain bread you get from the bakeries back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World