Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 AM

335 posts, read 1,534,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Jack Lalanne also eats lots of Egg Whites and usually has Fish everynight at Dinner.

He's one of my Hero's on this earth !!
Sports Review Magazine - Jack LaLanne is 92 and still going strong (http://sportsreviewmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1588 - broken link)
Madonna eats lots of fish, too.

I can't afford fish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
Madonna eats lots of fish, too.

I can't afford fish!
Did you say Madonna....thats my girl

I don't eat much fish either as it's Eggs and Skinless Chicken Breast on my Salads.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,661 times
Thumbs up Raw - Barf! ;)

Hey! Saw your thread and just had to jump on this wagon! I am quite a healthy eater in general. I did not grow up this way - having been raised in the South on fried foods at practically every meal and lots of sweets. My folks did not like seafood, and on Dad's income - we ate a lot of starches. Hamburger Helper was the American way! I did *like* healthy foods, but we just didn't eat a lot of them. At some point in highschool, I decided to begin buying my own food and kept a small frig in my room. I ate a lot of fruit though I wasn't too into veggies at that point. What fruit I ate, I ate raw. Easy enough. But I still ate my "healthy" Southern Breakfast of two scrambled eggs, toast w/Mom's sweet apple jelly, (fried) potatoes, and Jimmy Dean sausage. Yum!

In my early 20s, although my weight was lower, I found my cholesterol was in the 300 range! Whoa! With a family strong in history of heart attacks, I decided that needed to change immediately. For three months... I dropped my "healthy" breakfast for cold, high fiber cereals, switched from 2% milk to skim, dropped all other dairy products except a morning yogurt with live cultures (I like fat-free yoplait but it is quite sweet), and began eating more veges and broiled, lean meats. I had also always enjoyed salads, so I began eating these more - sometimes as a meal unto itself - just double the lettuce with red cabbage, carrots, and some raw veges. I barely used dressing (which I now do not use - just a good Italian dry seasoning) and ate fruit also when I needed something.

In three months, I dropped from the 300s to 168 in cholesterol count! Talk about reinforcing! I slowly added back cheese and some dairy products, but I made sure they were good quality, real cheese, not American processed, pasteurized, cheese food spreads, sauces, slices, or the like. :P

I travel a lot, so sometimes it's just tough to eat healthy. Esp. in someone else's home when they are serving a buffet of carbs with mac 'n' cheese and cheesy potatoes as the side dishes. Cheese sauces on everything. I skip out. They don't taste good anyway.

The other huge difference was that I began drinking more water. I was one of those who "never liked" drinking water. It just didn't taste good to me, so I began with a flavored water - at the time, Clearly Canadian (which now to me just tastes like sugar). But anyway...

I have found - surprise, surprise (not!) - when I eat healthy and drink my 8 glasses of water daily, I feel healthy, am in better health, and am more prone to working out. When I begin eating pastas, carbs, sweets, and other unhealthy or less healthy items, I feel sluggish and don't feel like doing much of anything - much less the running that I enjoy so much when I'm feeling lighter and healthier. Duh! Obviously, if I'm feeling heavier (even though I'm still a small person), then exercise will be more of a chore rather than something you enjoy doing, and the cycle perpetuates itself.

When I'm eating healthy, here's what I eat:

Morning: Active, Live cultured yogurt. I buy fat-free Yoplait - it's only 100 calories which is good for the protein and calcium you get. It's amazing - I also (in my 20s began reading all the labels on store products I bought - makes a HUGE difference - literally!) Even a lowfat yogurt can have twice the calories and sugar. Ppl will think they are eating healthy when they aren't. Maybe healthier than when they weren't eating "healthy", but still not...

I've gotten to where i'll put it in a little dish or bowl and mix in some fruit - berries, mostly - they are tasty and colorful. OR peaches - all fresh and raw.

And I begin my water routine .... I buy Aquafina in 16 oz. bottles. $5/24 ct. case. I found it was MUCH easier for me to get in *four* bottles than *eight* glasses! Lol. But it works for me.... one in the morning, one by mid-day, one with lunch, and one with dinner. Then any extra is just that - bonus! And when I run, it's also much easier to drink more - I sip it, carrying one in each hand while I'm running/walking and tell myself I have to finish both bottles before I get home. Easy to do while you're sweating it off, and you feel great!

I have found when I'm eating healthier, that I often miss lunch - I just am not that hungry. Once a week, I'll shop for what I'll eat that week and immediately prepare it. I enjoy slicing and dicing, so that part is relaxing for me, and if you do that once or twice a week, then you'll be less apt to snack along the way. And if you snack on *this* food, it's healthier anyway... much more than pulling out a box of mac 'n' cheese (one of my acquaintances used to do this when she'd feel hungry... and wonder why she was struggling with her weight.... anyway),

I have worked from home for a long while, so it's easy for me to take a break - and I when I can eat like that, I "graze" through the day and eat just two "meals". I ensure that the food on which I'm grazing consist of approx. 100-calorie "snacks" such as:

a piece of fruit - or mixed fruit which I've sliced into a bowl; I try to eat a banana daily for potassium, and it's easy to eat - plain or in cereal.

a granola bar - one that's not as full of sugar, or if it is... it's not much in comparison to a day's eating. I like the Fruit & Nut ones. I used to buy the crunchy ones, but now I like them chewy... more sugar, but still not bad.

a plate of veges - I either buy them fresh or fresh frozen (Freshlike brand is good - nothing in the bag but frozen veges - not a single preservative, and no salt)

a large plate of lettuce mix with colorful veges and/or fruit! (I don't use dressing - I found a great Italian seasoning which I like - supposed to be for meat, but it's great on salads!

Cheese - try a variety - some cheeses are better for you, and you'll never know until you try a few of them which ones you might like! I crumble them on food, eat them on crackers sometimes, or

Nuts - I buy them in bulk at places like Costco or Sam's and put them in the freezer - much cheaper! (Have you tried Pine Nuts - excellent!)
Boiled eggs - I don't eat many eggs, but now I have a pup... and feed him a raw diet, including eggs (*just the yolks) so I eat a few now and then...

I treat myself to crackers - watch the serving size! It's amazing how much crud is actually in them (esp. salt), but most ppl eat half a box in a single sitting! While if you eat the serving size or less - maybe with melted cheese on top, then you'll be better off.

Then for dinner... which I eat around 4 - 4: 30 p.m., I'll have a the salad as noted above, a small serving of broiled (not raw) chicken breast or salmon or other fish, some steamed veges unless I eat them raw in the salad, and maybe some fruit for dessert. And... finish my 4th bottle of water. On the meat, I also put nuts - almond slivers, pine nuts, cashews, English walnuts (Black walnuts are just too strong for my taste), ... and sit with a cup of hot tea afterwards. Yum!

In the winter I eat less salads and *do* eat more soups and carbs, but I'm not a purist, although if I lived in a warmer climate, then I probably would be moreso. I also eat more hot cereal rather than yogurt for breakfast. Try not to add a ton of sugar to your hot cereal! And if you add butter, keep it to a minimum.

I have tried juicing, and it's fun... once. But like you, I prefer to eat things in their natural state rather than in a green or grosser mix of what looks to me like something one might feed to a pig. Lol. But some ppl love it! I guess if I didn't look at it and just drank it, it wouldn't be so bad. But...

When I have juiced, I put a little apple to sweeten it, and don't mix it with banana - for some reason it seems to overwhelm the rest of whatever's in the blender. For blending I prefer: citrus, some berries - not too many or it will end up dark and vomity-looking (!), pineapple, a little apple to sweeten it, and crushed ice or a little skim milk. I find I like these also better in summer than winter. I just can't "do" more cold in winter than what is already out there staring at me for five long months!

I also drink a LOT of hot tea... Unfortunately, I now drink it with Splenda and skim milk, but for several years I enjoyed herbal teas plain. I find that my allergies are much better when I drink a lot of Echinacea and chamomille tea. There is a brand I like: Traditional Medicinals. I get it from my grocerer's - in the organic section. It's about $4.50/16 ct. box. More than you'll pay for other brands, but it just seems to help more, and if you have ever experienced seasonal allergies, anything that helps is "worth" the cost!

Okay... now that I've said *all this*... I'll share this reinforcement. Last year I found a pup who was started on Science Diet by the vet. The pup was sick when I got him but always throwing up and having the runs after he ate. I really didn't want him on S.D., but I didn't know *what* to feed him, so I began reading and trying all kinds of different dog foods... Then I came across a diet recommended by my pet store called the BARF Diet... B.A.R.F. - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food aka Bones and Raw Food.

Remember ... I travel a LOT, so while I did have him on a mix of two great kibble blends (no grain, no byproducts), on one particular trip, we ran out. I had to drive two hours to find one bag of one of the blends. That was enough for me to make the switch to B.A.R.F.! Here's what I found:

When my DOG eats bagged food, he barfs! OR has the runs. He also has to "go" more, and he's not as lively.

When my dog eats the B.A.R.F. diet - I make it myself... it's very easy... he is healthier, eats only two meals/day, "goes" regularly, and is trim, fit, healthy, and happy!

So... once he was well and off the other diets, it only served to reinforce that .... hey! If I ate as well as my DOG... Lol - then wow! How great I'd feel and how much healthier I'd be! Everyone we meet comments on how much energy he has, how trim and fit he is, how nice his coat is, etc. And when I ate more of a raw diet myself (barring broiling my meat for about 10 minutes tops), even my doctor was impressed with my blood panel! And they *guessed* exactly what I was eating! (That was a bit weird, but true!)

So... "you are what you eat." Eat healthy, feel and look healthy. Eat garbage, feel like garbage.

Okay - I've said enough. Hope some of this helps. Experiment! You'll never know until you try...

Have fun, Live Healthy, & Be Happy!

Dr Billinghurst books

Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Arrow A few store brands...

I just remembered... Bolthouse makes some good blended juices. I like the vanilla protein mix and the carrot / apple mix. It's been awhile since I've had them - I think they have a bit of sugar or sweetener in them, but they taste good, and it's a good source of protein for a quick drink. They are a bit more, but worth the cost.

I buy Freshlike veges frozen (when I can't get them fresh). Bird's Eye I found is the same.

Again - tea: Traditional Medicinals. Or try growing your own!

Trader Joe's has some great stuff. We got one in our area this past year, but it's further than I drive to shop.

Whenever possible, buy local.
Whenever possible, buy fresh.

When blending, add water - it'll go much smoother! And you don't need a $400 blender to make it work. I have a Hamilton Beach I've had for years - a $20 blender from Walmart years ago, and it works just fine. No - not as nice as a $400, but it works. Save the money for new clothes - you'll probably end up needing some if you are making a substantial food switch!

Diet does not = starvation. When you eat fresh, you actually can end up eating more and feel better, stronger, and more energetic. But... don't *eat* more just bc you're eating healthier. (Like my Dad - went on Atkin's Diet and then would go out for these buffet lines and eat a mound or two of bacon and cheese - saying now he could eat all he *wanted* as long as it wasn't carbs! He *did* lose weight, but once he went off of it, he gained it back much faster and then ate *much* worse than he would have had he not gone on it at all (e.g., Regulars of Krispy Kreme do-nots!) Lol. Poor guy.

Okay - great thread! Thanks for starting it!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Hey! Saw your thread and just had to jump on this wagon! I am quite a healthy eater in general.
What a great post!

Just before I read your post, I had my lunch: plain yogurt (whole milk w/cream on top!) with sliced banana, raisins, and walnuts and a cup of tea with honey.

I guess I sometimes eat raw without thinking!

I also just got back from the store where I bought a whole chicken ($5.50) and a few pounds of sweet potatoes for my dog. I take the skin of the chicken and put it through a grinder twice to make food for my dog. She does great on a natural diet. Dog food makes her sick. But I have to take a lot of the fat out of her diet now, because it was causing a lot of gastric problems. She is 14 years old.

You've inspired me to slice up some raw veggies for dinner tonight and try to pay more attention to my own intake.

Carrot

# # #

Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I just remembered... Bolthouse makes some good blended juices. I like the vanilla protein mix and the carrot / apple mix.
I don't like juices. Apple juice is full of sugar. Better to eat the whole apple.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Smile The thing with eggs and fish...

The thing with eggs... it's not so bad to eat the yolks unless you have problems with poor heart health. Egg yolks are actually good for your skin and hair - in fact, instead of dumping them, you can use them in a home hair treatment in the shower (like mayonnaise treatments - bc it has eggs in it!). It's okay to eat them - just don't eat a dozen a week! Same with anything - moderation is key.

I give my dog only the yolks bc I read that the protein in the egg whites does something to nullify (I don't remember what - sorry) the benefit of the protein in the yolk.

Hm.. just today I saw an article that recommended that we stop eating eggwhite omelets! I didn't read it... came here instead, and look what I found!

And fish... you want to be careful what you eat raw. Ask around. Watch mercury levels, etc.

As for ppl who don't *like* fish (taste?), I didn't either... but I knew it was good for me, so a friend recommended Orange Roughy. I think I might have baked it with butter to start - ha - but now I can't even taste it and prefer others instead. But it's still good for you - better than a burger!

How you make it makes a difference: I put orange and lemon on mine, a *little* butter sometimes, and a few herbs: bay leaf, mint, others... but those are common for starters.

I lived a while in AK and came back a salmon diehard. But get it wild/fresh, not farm-raised. Halibut is great too, but more often battered and friend, and I prefer plain broiled or smoked (but that's not too healthy either).

Cod is not as fishy as some but get it baked not battered and fried! I don't care for it myself, but some ppl love it. (I guess those who don't eat as much of the others!)

Perch I find has a bit of a sweet taste to it and is a small fish for starters...

Hm... "Mikey won't eat it! He hates everything!"

Bon Appetit!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up 100% Juice... No Sugar Added.

Quote:
I don't like juices. Apple juice is full of sugar. Better to eat the whole apple.
Yes - many juices are full of sugar. When I mentioned to add apple to the juice, I meant a juice that you were making yourself from whole fruit. And apple that you cut yourself. The Bolthouse ones I found traveling... and decided to give them a try when I wasn't able to handle fresh.

But... many juices also don't contain a lot of sugar. I'm a big fan of label-reading.

Let's see... in my pantry I have... Northland (Blends & Whole Fruit Varieties) & Mott's (Apple). Both are 100% with *No Sugar Added.* When the label says anything an (average) first grader can't read... you don't need it.

Happy Dining!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Thumbs up Affording fish... :)

Quote:
...I can't afford fish!
One of my (very unhealthy - well... they pretty much all are!) says she can't afford to eat healthy. So... through the years, she's continued to eat fatty meats, lots of cheap carbs, sauces on what she veges to make them taste good, and pulls things from the discount bin at the store. No problem with discount - I've done the same.

The thing is... they are a two-income household, and make twice what I make. Both my sibling and their mate are unhealthy, have high medical bills, pay a lot for insurance, and about 8 years ago, she had to begin sleeping with O2, takes tons of meds, and is now diabetic. Lots of allergies (we all have those, but when I drink my "expensive" tea, I have next to no problems with them.)

I cannot imagine what they spend *not* eating healthy. In fact, her mate was in the hospital twice this past month - he has what they are calling "episodes" bc they don't know what else to call it and can't figure it out! I'm guessing... if they ate healthier, the likely decrease in their medical costs would far offset the cost of their groceries.

And... she actually has some berry bushes in her backyard and a few veges - so they could actually grow a lot of their produce, ... if they wanted to do it. Even without a home, one can patio garden - tomatoes, green beans, herbs, ... they don't grow *big*, but they grow. And seeds... are cheap.

Fish *is* expensive compared to other meats/proteins, but... if you watch for (early) summer sales, you can get fresh/wild fish for almost half the cost. This summer I bought out all two stores in our area rec'd! It wasn't a lot of fish, but buying it on sale, I *saved* $50 in one trip, and $80-90 in another! I had them cut and individually wrap it in 1/2 lb. portions, so all I have to do is pull it out of the ziploc in the freezer, thaw, cook for about 10 minutes, and voila'! Fresh fish!

And no waste... I feed the skin to my pup. He loves it!

You can also get fish cheap at Sam's & Costco, but watch the label to ensure what you are getting. Don't buy farm-raised. If it doesn't say, "Wild," and identify the source (location), leave it.

Hey Carrot! Wish I was coming for dinner - sounds good! Ciao!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Let's see... in my pantry I have... Northland (Blends & Whole Fruit Varieties) & Mott's (Apple). Both are 100% with *No Sugar Added.* When the label says anything an (average) first grader can't read... you don't need it.

Happy Dining!
See, that Motts apple juice has no nutritional value. It's no better than eating sugar flavored water.

Lots of juices say "100% Juice" but if you look, they use apple juice concentrate to sweeten it instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss