Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Raw Food Diet : Learn about the raw and living foods diet

Raw foodism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
For some of you who eat yogurt for the beneficial bacteria, if your yogurt is pastuerized, your bacteria are dead, so you aren't getting any benefit from them. Try probiotics instead. They come in capsule or liquid form. Take once a day, since they contain anywhere from 6,000-10,000 beneficial bacteria per dose.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
I've been eating at least one foods raw meal a day for the past two or three years. Ocassionally, I'll eat a completely raw foods diet for several days. I don't think I'd be satisfied eating raw foods all the time. 30 days or even 100 days seems very reasonable and doable. If you discover you don't like eating raw foods only, for any reason whatsoever, that's OK. There's no need to feel bad about yourself. Just because some raw food eaters are indeed fanatics and rather judgemental as rubyskye pointed out, doesn't mean that a person has to be a fanatic and/or judgemental to enjoy raw foods. Those who are fanatical and judgemental were probably fanatical and judgemental long before they started eating raw foods.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
right on.
the thing about raw food fanatics is that it's not just that they think raw foods are good for you but that cooked foods are unhealthy. i can't recount their theory at the moment (i've got some hot soup calling to me and i'm famished) but if someone wants to eat raw foods and they buy into the theory that cooked foods are dangerous a real conflict can arise.
the most important thing is to know your own body and listen to it and trust it.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
rubyskye wrote:
the thing about raw food fanatics is that it's not just that they think raw foods are good for you but that cooked foods are unhealthy.
Yeah, kind of like meat eating fanatics who think that a meal is not a real meal unless it contains a big slab of meat.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,531 times
Yeah, any kind of dogmatic thinking is a drag for me.
I think that understanding a raw diet in terms of live/living food is more helpful.
Here's a link to an informative interview with Dr. Gabriel Cousins. Satya June/July 03: Interview with Dr. Gabriel Cousens (http://www.satyamag.com/june03/cousens.html - broken link)
I like the guy.
I went down to his healing place (Tree of Life) in Patagonia, AZ.
Excellent raw/live food but i wasn't impressed with the level of care (especially for the amount of money it costs to do a retreat) as i went through a healing crisis down there and wasn't supported in the way that i needed to be. But that's another story.

Last edited by rubyskye; 03-03-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
Question RFEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
...the thing about raw food fanatics is that it's not just that they think raw foods are good for you but that cooked foods are unhealthy. i can't recount their theory at the moment ...but if someone wants to eat raw foods and they buy into the theory that cooked foods are dangerous a real conflict can arise. the most important thing is to know your own body and listen to it and trust it.
Yes - an excellent point, Ruby. Same thing for other things in life - what works for one person might not work at all for another. I'm half/half on the raw thing. I've always enjoyed raw fr/vege more than cooked ones unless they're still a little crunchy, but I wouldn't want to eat chicken that wasn't cooked! And some RFEs (Raw Food Enthusiasts - my paraphrase) would avoid eating meat in general bc they think it shouldn't be cooked, therefore not eaten. Thus, alternative forms of protein. (Or maybe they see meat as the unhealthy alternative?)

At least one theory behind not cooking one's food is that once you've cooked it, then it's basically "dead" or "empty calories" bc you've cooked out the benefits of eating it. IMO - depends on the food. I wonder what % of RFEs are also Vegetarians on some level?

You've made a good point in the theory that "...cooked foods are dangerous a real conflict..." I'd add that some foods eaten uncooked can be just as dangerous (e.g., ever tried eating fresh crab or lobster without cooking it first?!) jk.

Any RFEs out there? What's an average week of meals?

Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Question What differences do you notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I've been eating at least one foods raw meal a day for the past two or three years. Ocassionally, I'll eat a completely raw foods diet for several days. ...
How motivated you to start? Did you begin eating raw foods with intention, or was it more an observation of what and how you were already eating?

Did you notice a difference of how you felt in the switch? Do you notice a difference now between the times you eat raw for several days and when you don't?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Post Ping - Pong, Carrot! Apple Juice & Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
See, that Motts apple juice has no nutritional value. It's no better than eating sugar flavored water. Lots of juices say "100% Juice" but if you look, they use apple juice concentrate to sweeten it instead.
I love a good challenge! Thanks, Carrot! I am an avid label-reader but thought that if something is a concentrate, then the sugar within that concentrate wouldn't be something that wasn't in the fruit to begin - although certainly more concentrated, but at least not added. So this is what I did: Apple juice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple juice concentrate is produced by evaporating fresh apple juice... extracted from fresh apples. Fresh apple juice has a concentration ...11 to 13 brix.

Brix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For fruit juices, one degree Brix ... about 1-2% sugar by weight. *So does that mean that the natural apple juice without sugar added would be a min. of 11% natural sugars, and max - 26%? Or is it not that simple?

Mott's Juices and Beverages in Convenient Family Sizes (broken link)
Can't refute a label!

JS Online: Northland Cranberries sells off juice business after 9-year struggle (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=303829 - broken link)
Northland is/was WI-based, and I do my best to support local business. This juice tastes better, IMO, than some of the others that seem sludgy.

And after all that (!), I skimmed these: Pectin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia & Starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah - the joys of winter! To sit inside when it's consistently no greater than the 20s for months on end...

So here's a question for you - how many apples would I have to eat... before it'd add up to at least the minimum sugars that would be found in an 8-10 oz. glass of Mott's 100% Natural Apple Juice - No Sugar Added? *a serving is 8 oz, but I usually pour a taller glass here in this dry winter weather.

And... if I just plop and apple in the blender, then how much juice will it provide for drinking purposes (adding a bit of water to aid the blender)? I almost did that yesterday, in fact, but I already had the blender full of veges for the pup, so I didn't want to bother.

I eat a lot of apples - ended up with 2 bushels last fall to dehydrate & freeze. (Ha - some of which are still sitting in the box!) So... in the winter when it's dryer, and I don't like drinking as much straight, cold water... I drink hot teas (actually year round) & apple juice - more for the water content than anything else, but in the winter it's just more palatable to me than plain water. Summers - no problem - I go through at least a case/week. And apples are cheap - $5/bushel for "seconds" which were not really seconds at all - just windfall. (And there are places you can just pick them up for free...like WA & MI!) And the juice was on sale for $1/64 oz. bottle - very cheap.

I've thought about buying a mega-blender, but they are a bit pricey compare to other things on my list. (Esp. now that I am not working until I relocate &/or find something new.) And I'm not a big fan of liquid diets like that - mostly bc of the way they look. I personally couldn't handle that too often. Greenish brownish fluid sludge (even if clear) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

But... if you are saying apple juice itself is that unhealthy, then I'd certainly find something else to replace it. (Although I do a *fair amount of chocolate eating also, and I wouldn't replace that!) *How much is a fair amount of chocolate?

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com - looks interesting, but I didn't sign up.

Apple Juice on the Internet - Grown-Up Stuff - Smart Sippin (Link for parents re: nutrition for children, incl. serving apple juice.)

I'll be looking forward to hearing your reply! (I need to go back to school! I just love reading, writing, & learning, in general! It hardly matters the topic.)

Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Everyone's always putting down apple juice. I like fresh squeezed juice, no water added to dilute it, all foamy on top no sugar added, no nothing added.
I got home late yesterday and popped into the juicer several stalks of celery, a bunch of baby carrots, a bunch of grape tomatos and a big juicy apple. Very yummy.
In the morning, i'll toss in a couple of apples. Other mornings a couple of oranges. There is nothing like fresh juiced fruit or veggies instead of settling for store-bought watered down dead juice.

As for the poster above that wanted to know if you feel better eating raw, when I eat all raw, usually breakfast and lunches most days, I feel energized, I can focus better and I get a lot more done. The days I have say oatmeal for breakfast with fruit and maple syrup, I don't feel as energized. So that's just me, I cannot say how other's feel when they do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss