Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
My problem with these types of meals is a complete lack of imagination as to what can be eaten and local pantries (stores) without much else to choose from.

Cut down on meat.
Cut down carbs.
Don't eat so much processed food.

What are you left with? Eating salad all day every day - without dressing?
You'll end up with three meals a day and probably some snacks and desserts. Salad dressing? You can make it from olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings like onion salt and oregano.

Breakfast could be oatmeal with chopped nuts and milk. (I cheat and use some brown sugar so I guess I'm not perfect, lol.)

Lunch might be tacos with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, beans, and guacamole. Or any kind of a sandwich. How about a BLT? Scrambled eggs, soup, whatever.

Dinner might be something like a pot roast from the slow cooker. Or a roast chicken so you can use the leftover chicken to make something else another day. Baked potato plus some frozen vegetables--or cut up and steam some carrots. There are millions of dinners you can have.

Snacks and desserts--make apple crisp, make some blueberry muffins. Use your freezer so that you have frozen blueberries and strawberries.

You can make it more complicated and fancy if you want to, but eating normal meals is not very hard.

The only hard part is being able to afford organic, grass fed, etc. For recipes, collect your favorites and you can even do it the old fashioned way by just keeping them on index cards in a box. Or print them out and make them into a recipe book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My weight/numbers went down by watching what I ate (organic or not) and exercising regularly. Can't comment about whether I'd feel better eating an organic pint of blueberries vs. the regular ones. To be honest, I really don't buy into the organic movement, or paleo. I try to incorporate veggies/fruit into my diet and keep meat portions to no more than 4-6 oz per day. I eat no more than a cup of pasta/rice at my dinner time meal and any bread I eat is whole wheat (3g of fiber or more). I do eat frozen dinners for lunch during the workweek because they are convenient, and as a working mom of two who has limited time, that's all I have time for. I eat most dinners at home, except for one "cheat day" where I eat at a restaurant and don't order from any "healthy menu". I drink plenty of water and no juice of any kind. that's about it. probably not the best diet but I can deal with it.
Some organic produce is just way tastier. I subscribed to a CSA for a few years. The carrots I got were just Amazon. They were just super carrot-y. I remember having a surplus and brought some extras to my parents. They said they were the most delicious carrots they had ever eaten. And we were eating them raw and plain. The stone fruits and berries were also stellar. I find organic and fresh picked lettuce is also way quite delicious. And of course tomatoes.

Of course i have a hierarchy in my produce choices - local, vine/tree/whatever ripened produce is best. And I prefer organic. Then local. If I can't have all of those I prioritize distance traveled and organic. And last is organic if it is on the dirty dozen list - essentially anything you eat whole or eat the skin. Those items colllect most of the pesticides. And I want to avoid them. So apples, carrots, leafy greens, berries, tomatoes, and stone fruit are high priority organics. Bananas, mangoes, potatoes and onions are not.

I don't know enoigh about how rice is processed, and there isn't a lot of locally grown rice (we have some and it is 3x the other rice). I may choose it or not. I also like to get heirloom grains for other reasons.

I can't say I taste a difference in organic vs non-organic rice.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM

23 posts, read 25,257 times
I am in day 32 of my 100 days ( I just pulled 100 days out of the air no one put the thought in my mind) .. I do ONLY lean meats and fish in portion sizes, eggs and very little whole grain breads. NO junk just natural protein and fibers. 3 meals a day and have a calorie deficit that I maintain. drink water only and lots of it and get some exercise but need more. some salt but its sea salt. eats loads of veggies and some fruit for snacks. I feel better I think better and I weighed in at 372 when I started, today I weighed 334 so im looking forward to day 100. I am not stopping there at 100 just want to see the 100 day effect. and keep on with my new life.. It was hard for a day or 2 until I found protein and fibers keep me full, my only real desire to eat comes from my brain. as well my last meal is at 5 pm. I think you will see a great benefit but for ME I have to keep my calorie deficit on track, which has became a habit now. I have a cheat day on Saturdays but I still eat good food but don't over do it on calories.. NOW im not an expert at all so I assume other things work as well or better but this is working for me right now so I am living it and loving it. best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss