Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM

149 posts, read 226,275 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here tried making this switch? My family and I have been getting going on this and I am curious to see if anyone has stuck with this and found any sort of success with it at all.

For those unfamiliar - Basically the premise is to cut out all refined/processed foods and try to minimize meat consumption to one serving per day. Buy grass fed, free range, local, and organic whenever possible. No refined sugars, eat whole wheat/whole grain if you're having bakery type items. Basically anything with more than 5 ingredients on a label is a no-no. Obviously no soda or fast food or dinners from a box, minimal REAL fruit juice.

I can definitely see how this would work for many people mostly from the view that you are cutting a lot of sugar out of your diet by sticking with 'real' foods. I've tried the paleo thing in the past and it wasn't for me, too restrictive. We are trying to make some healthy and sustainable changes in our family and this seems the most practical way to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I think this generally a good practice. But I don't know what you mean by results.

Honestly I started eating more local and seasonal stuff because it tastes better and has a lower carbon footprint.

I swapped over to mostly local/season/organic/sustainably raised meats a while ago. I also mostly eat minimally processed items for a myriad of reasons.

My blood tests have been great the whole time, but my weight has changed in both directions during the same period for a myriad of reasons. I wouldn't call it a cure all. But I definitely feel a lot better in terms of energy levels and so on when I eat more of the minimally processed stuff.

I am lucky, I live in a region where this is the dominant food culture so you can eat this way even if going out to eat!

One tip I have if you are moving in this direction: heirloom beans! They are more pricey than regular dried beans and way tastier! I am willing to splurge the 4x price point! The heirloom beans make me want to eat more beans. On the scheme of things it is pretty cheap. Standard beans are $1-1.50 a pound. Organic heirlooms are about $5-6. Try a pound and you may not go back!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
Has anyone here tried making this switch? My family and I have been getting going on this and I am curious to see if anyone has stuck with this and found any sort of success with it at all.

For those unfamiliar - Basically the premise is to cut out all refined/processed foods and try to minimize meat consumption to one serving per day. Buy grass fed, free range, local, and organic whenever possible. No refined sugars, eat whole wheat/whole grain if you're having bakery type items. Basically anything with more than 5 ingredients on a label is a no-no. Obviously no soda or fast food or dinners from a box, minimal REAL fruit juice.

I can definitely see how this would work for many people mostly from the view that you are cutting a lot of sugar out of your diet by sticking with 'real' foods. I've tried the paleo thing in the past and it wasn't for me, too restrictive. We are trying to make some healthy and sustainable changes in our family and this seems the most practical way to go about it.
We have eaten this way for many years. We rarely buy anything with a label. We shop around the outer edge of the grocery, fresh produce, meats, seafood, eggs. Bakery items would be a very rare purchase, whole grain or not.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:55 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
My problem with these types of meals is a complete lack of imagination as to what can be eaten and local pantries (stores) without much else to choose from.

Cut down on meat.
Cut down carbs.
Don't eat so much processed food.

What are you left with? Eating salad all day every day - without dressing?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
My problem with these types of meals is a complete lack of imagination as to what can be eaten and local pantries (stores) without much else to choose from.

Cut down on meat.
Cut down carbs.
Don't eat so much processed food.

What are you left with? Eating salad all day every day - without dressing?
You can easily avoid processed food and still have many,many choices. Carbs are not the enemy unless your main source of them is white flour baked goods.
Meat is not needed for a diet either, but that is up to the individual.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:

Why just 100 days? Why not make that a standard food intake program? Its definitely doable. What you listed is basically the same thing I've been advocating for here ever since I joined CD. The "grass fed, free range" part basically means you are getting your meats at Whole Foods (which can be pricey), but other than that, this is a good healthy way to eat.

Paleo is fine as well.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:48 AM

149 posts, read 226,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Why just 100 days? Why not make that a standard food intake program? Its definitely doable. What you listed is basically the same thing I've been advocating for here ever since I joined CD. The "grass fed, free range" part basically means you are getting your meats at Whole Foods (which can be pricey), but other than that, this is a good healthy way to eat.

Paleo is fine as well.
The blog I stumbled across just happened to be named "100 days of real food", I am hoping to sustain the change for a lifetime.

I don't feel as though this is anywhere near as restrictive as 'salad with no dressing', there are a lot of things you can come up with with minimal processing and when it comes right down to it cooking food is 'processing' it. All this is is not eating hamburger helper or similars every meal like has become so common in the country. Sooooo much of our food comes out of boxes anymore. You don't need to look to hard to see what this kind of food is doing to people when you look at the build of the average American today vs. 75 years ago.

I was a bit more curious about if anyone had taken something like this on and seen any health measurables improved by it, cholesterol, blood pressure, weight, etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
I was a bit more curious about if anyone had taken something like this on and seen any health measurables improved by it, cholesterol, blood pressure, weight, etc.
We've been eating "real food" for 30 years. Knock on wood, we are nearly 60 and don't have any problems with blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. We also try to get plenty of fresh air and sunshine and avoid prescription and otc meds. Our numbers have always been good at checkups.

We're not so strict that we're afraid of salad dressing. I cook and take meals to work. Once a week we'll order out "real food", like seafood or steak and vegetables.

We don't feel like we're missing anything.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:46 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
My weight/numbers went down by watching what I ate (organic or not) and exercising regularly. Can't comment about whether I'd feel better eating an organic pint of blueberries vs. the regular ones. To be honest, I really don't buy into the organic movement, or paleo. I try to incorporate veggies/fruit into my diet and keep meat portions to no more than 4-6 oz per day. I eat no more than a cup of pasta/rice at my dinner time meal and any bread I eat is whole wheat (3g of fiber or more). I do eat frozen dinners for lunch during the workweek because they are convenient, and as a working mom of two who has limited time, that's all I have time for. I eat most dinners at home, except for one "cheat day" where I eat at a restaurant and don't order from any "healthy menu". I drink plenty of water and no juice of any kind. that's about it. probably not the best diet but I can deal with it.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:20 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:

No. Sounds like nonsense anyway. Buy whole wheat/whole grain processed foods to cut out processed foods? I'm not even sure what that means. No reason to worry about number of ingredients. If you're not buying processed foods it only has one ingredient anyway. Not that that really makes any sense to me. Rather than stupid rules just buy healthy processed foods. Even when I make hummus, which is about never, it has more than five ingredients. That doesn't mean I'm going to not buy hummus and eat a bunch of lays potato chips (potatoes, vegetable oil, salt) because 3 ingredients is better than 12. Nutrition doesn't care about number of ingredients. It cares about what the ingredients are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss