Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrl2788 View Post
I have always felt like my family would judge me for being over weight, I have tried everything, but with no will power and living with a husband who has a very large sweet tooth and only weighs 210 over 6 foot tall it doesnt make things any easier. I dont know what to do. I cant ask him not to have his sweets he's not the one who is fat, I have gotten to the point where I dont even want to leave my house. HELP!! I the way I look and it has started to affect my relationship with my husband. He says he loves me no matter what but when Im embarassed to be out in public it hurts his feelings that I dont want to go places with him. I need some help.

What do you think we can do that millions of others can't do?

Why do 95% of people who try to keep weight off fail, despite the pressure, the advice, the technology, the availability of fitness resources? What other illnesses' treatments have failure rates that high?

People who have a tendency to be overweight will be miserable the rest of their lives: Either they will be fat and miserable or they will be hungry and miserable but either way, they will be miserable.

"Change your habits" is the dietary advice equivalent to "Pick the correct lottery numbers".

Very few people actually go from long term fat to long term thin.

Others will chime in here with pep talk advice such as "You can do it", "All you have to do is change your lifestyle", "Eat 75 small meals instead of three big meals", "Just eat fresh veggies and fish and chicken - it's easy", but realize most of them probably were never long term overweight.

Last edited by Charles; 11-16-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
People who have a tendency to be overweight will be miserable the rest of their lives: Either they will be fat and miserable or they will be hungry and miserable but either way, they will be miserable.

"Change your habits" is the dietary advice equivalent to "Pick the correct lottery numbers". .
Upping your intake of fats and proteins and reducing simple carbs is a relatively painless adjustment that can make a big difference over time. You'll be slightly less hungry. It doesn't take much. Reducing consumption by just 100 calories a day (a handful of chips or 6 teaspoons of sugar) is worth about 10 pounds a year. I doubt higher income and better educated people, who tend to have lower obesity rates are any hungrier. They just eat a better mix of foods that keeps them satisfied at a slightly reduced caloric intake.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-19-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Upping your intake of fats and proteins and reducing simple carbs is a relatively painless adjustment that can make a big difference over time. You'll be slightly less hungry. It doesn't take much. Reducing consumption by just 100 calories a day (a handful of chips or 6 teaspoons of sugar) is worth about 10 pounds a year.
I understand what you wrote and I'm not sure it doesn't work however that advice goes against all the advice offered by cardiologists. There had been a debate between Ornish and Atkins. Ornish says whole grains, fruits and vegetables and low fat. Atkins says higher fats, more proteins and lower simple carbs.

How the Atkins Diet Fares in Cholesterol

Quote:
I doubt higher income and better educated people, who tend to have lower obesity rates are any hungrier. They just eat a better mix of foods that keeps them satisfied at a slightly reduced caloric intake.
Yes, I think I think higher income and better educated people tend to be thinner however it is because of two things: Thinner people become rich, not the other way around. Thinner, more physically desirable people tend to get promoted easier and doors are opened for them.

News, It pays to be pretty: Professor’s 20-year study reveals good looking employees are paid more and get better perks

Also, often (supporting your statement), people in higher power positions are under more pressure to look good so there is more incentive to look thin.
And also, yes, they are more educated and have easier access to healthier food and they have the resources to afford healthier eating.

Last edited by Charles; 11-19-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I understand what you wrote and I'm not sure it doesn't work however that advice goes against all the advice offered by cardiologists. There had been a debate between Ornish and Atkins. Ornish says whole grains, fruits and vegetables and low fat. Atkins says higher fats, more proteins and lower simple carbs..
Many doctors take a more wholistic approach approach to the question, balancing risks. For someone otherwise healthy who doesn't have a history of personal or family heart disease, never smoked, and exercises regularly, increasing fat levels to achieve and maintain lower weight is probably a reasonable trade-off.

The medical establishment doesn't yet understand to that great an extent the relationships between food selection and health. A lot of "conventional wisdom" passes for science, which is one reason you constantly see studies with surprising results.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-19-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
im always wanting to go on a leaves and twigs diet so to speak but my sweet tooth and my wife's longing to cook real food always hampers my intentions.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Hmm....

I guess I never really understood the weight issues... It seems to be a psychological or emotional problem.

Having a science/engineering background, I deal all the time with facts. The first Law of Thermodynamics states it all... thus if you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. And it is not possible to violate that law (unless you are a perpetual motion machine).
Obviously if you drink a great deal of water (that has no calories), and have water retention, you will gain weight, but that is not the point here.

Exercise or not, (though obviously exercising makes it easier), as long as you consume fewer calories than you burn, you are absolutely guaranteed to lose weight.

It is easy to look at it in extremes: If I consume 20,000 calories a day, will I gain weight? I think so. If I consume zero calories a day, will I lose weight? I think so. Therefore, there is a number between zero and 20,000 calories that will cause me to end up at my desired weight. (The whole thing of excess fat cells etc can be dealt with afterwards, but that is what the medical profession can solve).

Old 11-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Hmm....

I guess I never really understood the weight issues... It seems to be a psychological or emotional problem.

Having a science/engineering background, I deal all the time with facts. The first Law of Thermodynamics states it all... thus if you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. And it is not possible to violate that law (unless you are a perpetual motion machine).
Obviously if you drink a great deal of water (that has no calories), and have water retention, you will gain weight, but that is not the point here.

Exercise or not, (though obviously exercising makes it easier), as long as you consume fewer calories than you burn, you are absolutely guaranteed to lose weight.

It is easy to look at it in extremes: If I consume 20,000 calories a day, will I gain weight? I think so. If I consume zero calories a day, will I lose weight? I think so. Therefore, there is a number between zero and 20,000 calories that will cause me to end up at my desired weight. (The whole thing of excess fat cells etc can be dealt with afterwards, but that is what the medical profession can solve).
Not exactly.

There are four variables: calories consumed, calories burned, calories stored and the one that few people mention: calories wasted.

This is why fat people sort of plateau. In general, They are fat because they eat more calories than they burn, but excess calories are stored - until that person's weight plateaus. Calories at and above that are pretty much wasted. That is why two people who consume exactly the same amount of food and do precisely the amount of exercise (or burn exactly the same amount of calories) can have significantly different weights. If this wasn't true, a person who overeats would get fatter and fatter and fatter indefinitely.

This is where genetics plays a huge part. Some thin people can eat a lot of food too but their plateau is different. The weight at which excess calories are wasted instead of stored is lower.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Not exactly.

There are four variables: calories consumed, calories burned, calories stored and the one that few people mention: calories wasted.

This is why fat people sort of plateau. In general, They are fat because they eat more calories than they burn, but excess calories are stored - until that person's weight plateaus. Calories at and above that are pretty much wasted. That is why two people who consume exactly the same amount of food and do precisely the amount of exercise (or burn exactly the same amount of calories) can have significantly different weights. If this wasn't true, a person who overeats would get fatter and fatter and fatter indefinitely.

This is where genetics plays a huge part. Some thin people can eat a lot of food too but their plateau is different. The weight at which excess calories are wasted instead of stored is lower.
So where do those calories go? Are they eliminated with bodily waste?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
So where do those calories go? Are they eliminated with bodily waste?
Yes, poop has calories.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Not exactly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Still doesn't matter. Back to Thermo rule #1. Unless you can violate that law, I will 100% guarantee that you will lose weight.
If burned burned minus calories consumed is a positive number (two of your variables), then the amount stored will also decrease over time, as you start burning off your reserves. Calories wasted will just accelerate or slow your weight loss if you meet the burned-minus-consumed criteria. If you waste no calories, then it takes longer to lose weight. If you waste many calories, then you will lose weight much faster.

As I stated before a zero-calorie diet will guarantee weight loss. A 20,000 calorie diet will likely add weight. So pick a caloric intake number in between that is right for your variables stated above. Simple enough.

Someone's metabolism can affect the rate of weight loss, but by following that equation, weight loss is guaranteed. (Unless Rudolph Clausius is wrong, and we have been teaching college students the wrong thing for over 160 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss