Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times

Advertisements

I knew my parents were coming to visit me for Christmas, for about 2 months now. When do I start dieting to lose 15 pounds...Thursday. I don't know how 15 pounds is possible by the 23rd of December...but I have to do it. I love food too much, my bread, my pasta, my candy....and then I get cranky and miserable. But so far since Thursday-I haven't cheated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
It's really hard, I'm a binge eater. The way I control it is I just don't keep any snacks in the house except healthy ones. When I open the fridge and cabinet looking for something, I see fruit or yogurt and I don't really want it I'd rather have cheese, bread, cookies etc.. but I don't have any so I can't eat it.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:23 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Default Diets are evil!!

I've lost 55 lbs. in the last year, and have about 25 left for my goal weight... but I did NOT do this with a "diet", since they don't work long-term. I simply changed my whole lifestyle, with better food choices & making exercise a regular part of my days. I still eat what I want, for the most part, but in moderation. Or if I pig out one day, it just means an extra long walk with the dog. The key is to not feel like you're being deprived, since that just leads to bingeing... and if you do "cheat", don't let yourself feel guilty or give up because of it. Having one piece of chocolate won't kill you or the diet!

Finally, I weigh myself every single day, so gained weight can't creep up on me. If you only weigh yourself once a week, it's easy to put on 5 lbs. without noticing! It also helps you to keep track of what works and doesn't work, from day to day. Anyway, I totally realize that the same techniques don't work for everyone, but just thought I'd share these tips... I've had a very gradual loss, which might not be fast enough for you, but it's really the best way to keep it off. If you want the "speed diet" to get started, try increasing your water intake and exercise time. Good luck!!

Old 12-02-2006, 07:31 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
It's really hard, I'm a binge eater. The way I control it is I just don't keep any snacks in the house except healthy ones. When I open the fridge and cabinet looking for something, I see fruit or yogurt and I don't really want it I'd rather have cheese, bread, cookies etc.. but I don't have any so I can't eat it.
Oh yeah, that's a great tip too! I buy much healthier foods now, because if it's not in the house, I can't eat it... I'm too lazy to make a supermarket run at midnight, so those grapes are my best option. If I had those AND Double-Stuff Oreos, guess which one I'd pick? Plus I've discovered food that is actually good, while still being healthier (like white cheddar rice cakes - yum), and I also buy substitutes; for instance "I Can't Believe it's not Butter", fat-free milk, fake salt, and lowfat ice cream. Most of those taste surprisingly like the originals, and usually have half the calories (or fat, sodium, etc.)! But make sure you read labels, since some things are deceiving... the words "natural", "whole wheat", and "organic", for example, don't necessarily mean lower in calories and fat.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:04 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I have lost a little more than 60 pounds without a diet. I started drinking water instead of soda. I drink 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water i.e., if you weigh 100 pounds drink 50 ounces of water every day. I walk my dog twice a day, for a minimum of 30 minutes. That's it. I have horrendous eating habits.

Just curious, why do you feel like you have to lose weight because you are going to have relatives visit? If you need to lose weight you should want to do it for yourself, not to make someone else happy.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:10 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have lost a little more than 60 pounds without a diet. I started drinking water instead of soda. I drink 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water i.e., if you weigh 100 pounds drink 50 ounces of water every day. I walk my dog twice a day, for a minimum of 30 minutes. That's it. I have horrendous eating habits.

Just curious, why do you feel like you have to lose weight because you are going to have relatives visit? If you need to lose weight you should want to do it for yourself, not to make someone else happy.
It isn't to make my relatives happy. First, I can't fit some of my old clothes, and I refuse to buy new ones, so I see this as motivation. Second, the last time I saw my parents was 2 years ago, and I was 15 pounds lighter. You know how you don't see someone is a long time, and when they do, the added weight is definitely noticed, and might appear more than it was just becuase it is a suprise? For my confidence, I would like to be the same weight I was 2 years ago.
And now I know to drink drink drink water! The only problem with this is when I go to work teaching the children, water makes me want to use the bathroom, but it is almost impossible to unless it is my lunch or break time!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 AM

It only takes a few days for you to adjust to the water, and if you are not drinking caffeine products you will have to do even less scooting to the little girl's room. At least that is how it worked for me.

You will be amazed at how much better you will feel.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:20 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
The wife and I wanted to "take off some pounds", but it can be extremely hard to do at an older age (57/58)! I can't do any exercises due to my hip replacement (doctor told me I could jar the replacement loose). We both love to eat steak, pork chops, chicken, mashed/fried/baked potatoes, etc., etc. My wife does take a "reduce belly fat" pill each night. It has helped (some), but it is still very hard for her to lose the weight she would like to. Since exercising and eating healthy foods is "out of the question" for us, we just put up with the weight we have.......which is only about 30 pounds.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 12-02-2006 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 12-02-2006, 09:22 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh yeah, that's a great tip too! I buy much healthier foods now, because if it's not in the house, I can't eat it... I'm too lazy to make a supermarket run at midnight, so those grapes are my best option. If I had those AND Double-Stuff Oreos, guess which one I'd pick? Plus I've discovered food that is actually good, while still being healthier (like white cheddar rice cakes - yum), and I also buy substitutes; for instance "I Can't Believe it's not Butter", fat-free milk, fake salt, and lowfat ice cream. Most of those taste surprisingly like the originals, and usually have half the calories (or fat, sodium, etc.)! But make sure you read labels, since some things are deceiving... the words "natural", "whole wheat", and "organic", for example, don't necessarily mean lower in calories and fat.
I buy the sour cream and onion rice cakes, they're so good but I eat the whole bag I also always read the labels on stuff. A few years back I was a manager for Whole Foods supermarkets and I got in the habit of being a lot more aware of what I eat, my problem is I eat can't stop eating even when I'm full. I always drink water and nothing else except wine occasionally. Also, I don't eat any meat but I do eat fish.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 AM

I read a book a while back by a Dr. in New York. The premise of the book was about the choices we make with food. One example that he gives is a hot fudge sundae. For the same calories you can have 2 scoops of ice cream, 3 scoops of hot fudge, and nuts or 3 scoops of frozen yogurt, 1 scoop of hot fudge, and some fresh fruit, and you can have 3 of these. Nobody is going to eat 3, but by making the sundae with better ingredients you can satisfy your craving for less calories. The other example that stuck with me was for the same calories you can eat 1 cup of plain white rice or 10 cups of steamed cauliflower. 10 cups! Again, you are not going to eat that much, but you will save calories and get better nutrition from the cauliflower. If I can remember the name of the book I will post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss