Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM

23 posts, read 25,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
That is impressive progress!! Good for you!

How are you counting calories? Can I recommend an app called "MyFitnessPal" as it helps you keep track of what you eat, and knows the calories in my chain restaurant menus, you can load homecooked recipes, and it has a bar code scanner.
I don't eat out at all, I use a dry erase board on my fridge for daily counting and eating record and at end of the day I tally up calories and carbs and exercise and record it on my calendar journal ..
I have looked at the all of the apps out there I could find, they all want MONEY for premium service.
I can do math for free in my head LOL
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Congrats on your weight loss journey! I lost 60+ lbs myself, but it wasn't on a keto diet. in fact, it wasn't a specific diet at all, I just watched what I ate, exercised regularly, and indulged in cheat meals twice per week. (I had to go down to once per week once I got closer to goal). I lost about 1 lb per week, on average.

My suggestions based on my experience as a "middle aged" dieter:

1500 is far too few calories for your size. Eating much less doesn't score you any extra points in the long run. There's a fine line you have to walk - you don't want your body to go into some starvation mode but there has to be a deficit in order to lose.

Good on you for enjoying a cheat meal. I admit I didn't eat "good calories" on those days. I ate a lot of "bad things". I didn't go hog wild but if I didn't indulge, I'd probably still be overweight or having an eating disorder. Eating "bad" once or twice a week kept me sane. Let's not forget that weight loss is a mental thing as well as a physiological thing. Deprivation would have led me to binge and ultimately regain. I find myself more in control now because I know I have one day where I can loosen the reigns and enjoy. I like food. Which brings me to

Exercise. This component of the weight loss regimen is often minimized in favor of a "good diet". While it's true that you can't outrun your fork, regular, moderately intense exercise (along with strength training) enabled me to increase the "burn factor" so that I could reward myself with cheat days and still lose weight. I ate less, and moved more. It's all about eating less food while increasing the burn. In addition, exercise is the key to body composition so that you look better even if the scale reads X weight. So definitely try and work your way up to at least 3-4 days per week of exercise and be sure to strength train. cardio alone doesn't cut it for me.

I personally don't subscribe to diets that target specific food groups. You should be able to eat from all of the food groups and lose weight. Why make things more complicated than they should? I've never had a protein deficiency and diabetes risk went down once I lost weight. I prefer to eat moderate portions and make healthy choices much of the time. Eating smaller portions and less calories naturally keeps things at healthy levels. I didn't need to "train" my body to do anything.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:41 PM

Hello, I have a new question . I woke up with the flu this morning. YUCK. Now I know I will get over it BUT being sick makes my viciously hungry so I had to eat a larger meal for lunch full of protein and a cup of milk, I don't feel bad over it because at the end of the day I was still in a calorie deficit for the day and im fine with that.
My question is how do you guys deal with a cold and dieting? does it force you to eat a satisfying meal or do you stay the course? for me , I know myself and when my body has a bug it wants food to the point I get sicker if I don't feed it some protein.. Thoughts? Thanks ..

Old 02-07-2017, 07:16 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Don't be afraid of protein.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
How timely. I'm starting Nutrisystem on Monday. I'm 6' and weigh 223, my goal is 185 which I weighed in college some 45 years ago. Wish me luck.

PS - 180 ounces of water per day sounds like an awful lot.
Take your weight divided by two and turn that number into ounces and that is the amount of water suggested for daily consumption.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerc2002 View Post
Hello, I have a new question . I woke up with the flu this morning. YUCK. Now I know I will get over it BUT being sick makes my viciously hungry so I had to eat a larger meal for lunch full of protein and a cup of milk, I don't feel bad over it because at the end of the day I was still in a calorie deficit for the day and im fine with that.
My question is how do you guys deal with a cold and dieting? does it force you to eat a satisfying meal or do you stay the course? for me , I know myself and when my body has a bug it wants food to the point I get sicker if I don't feed it some protein.. Thoughts? Thanks ..
No dairy, chicken stock, water, hot tea.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Take your weight divided by two and turn that number into ounces and that is the amount of water suggested for daily consumption.
That is how I got 180 oz. But now I am at 165 0z of water.
Thanks.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,671 times
Quote:
OK I am a 50 year old male (retired) I am badly obese and I know it. I am 5 foot 10. and currently weight in at 344. 6 years ago I was at 230 and a tad heavy but I worked 7 day 12 hours then. But that is the past. Now is where I am in need of saving myself
I started my " LIFE STYLE CHANGE" on January 12 2017 after being told I need bariatric surgery, not that its wrong but I don't want that. So on 1/12/17 I started my diet after days of research on the web and a chat with my MD. Now I have so many questions about things and hope to find help here among you folks.
The short of it is I never take in over 1500 calories a day now and not over 110 carbs, it has been 23 days only so I know I have a lot ahead of me but I have went from 370 to 344 and I done a little dance yesterday when I weighed myself.
I do have a cheat day on schedule it is Saturdays but I limit it to 2500 Good calories on that day,
I drink no more soda, stopped all white bread and potatoes, no fried foods, no fast food, the junk food is gone. only proteins and fibers I portion and count everything daily and log it. In addition I have a daily intake of water of 180 oz. (That's a lot of peeing) but I feel great. I also have a decent work out 30 minutes a day to help build back my mussel. Hope to stay inspired and learn here on this forum.
Thanks for listening ....
Congratulations! If you would like to read the forums on a great site for weight loss support, try this one:
myfitnesspal.com

Keep up the great work - I am sure you will succeed!

Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 788 times
Default Hey!!

Quote:
OK I am a 50 year old male (retired) I am badly obese and I know it. I am 5 foot 10. and currently weight in at 344. 6 years ago I was at 230 and a tad heavy but I worked 7 day 12 hours then. But that is the past. Now is where I am in need of saving myself
I started my " LIFE STYLE CHANGE" on January 12 2017 after being told I need bariatric surgery, not that its wrong but I don't want that. So on 1/12/17 I started my diet after days of research on the web and a chat with my MD. Now I have so many questions about things and hope to find help here among you folks.
The short of it is I never take in over 1500 calories a day now and not over 110 carbs, it has been 23 days only so I know I have a lot ahead of me but I have went from 370 to 344 and I done a little dance yesterday when I weighed myself.
I do have a cheat day on schedule it is Saturdays but I limit it to 2500 Good calories on that day,
I drink no more soda, stopped all white bread and potatoes, no fried foods, no fast food, the junk food is gone. only proteins and fibers I portion and count everything daily and log it. In addition I have a daily intake of water of 180 oz. (That's a lot of peeing) but I feel great. I also have a decent work out 30 minutes a day to help build back my mussel. Hope to stay inspired and learn here on this forum.
Thanks for listening ....
Hey!! I am very inspired by your post. It is super comforting that your cheat day is Saturday's... I struggle with food cheats and my weight too. 22 years old and 300 lbs after two kids. I feel so awful!

I have some info that I think may help you. If you want to email me and we can chat about it, that would be cool! Jesscasey925@ gmail.com My name is Jess by the way.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,035 times
Good for you on your journey to lose weight. I have just started to get serious about losing weight. I joined WW in January right before I had knee surgery. I planned it that way so while I am off work recuperating I can focus on eating healthy and not have to balance work in there. So far I am down 7# in two weeks. Week 2 was rough because I was stuck eating whatever my husband brought me. LOL!! This week has been better.
I wish you lots of luck. I also hope you are feeling better. Being sick is no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss