Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
While this is true, it requires more to get the same level of intake. For instance, my daily protein requirement is about 200 grams. If I was using the vegan staples of soy and rice protein, I'd need about 250 grams to account for the decreased digestibility.

How are you accounting for that?

You should consider getting a complete blood panel in a couple months and posting the results.
I may do that. I did tell my doctor I was doing it.

I eat a lot of nuts and seeds, legumes and soy. If and when I start to notice a change in my energy and overall health I will adjust my diet. I am not into being a strict anything so adding back to my diet wont be an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think initially, people go Vegan and feel great.

But then, for some, micronutrient deficiencies start showing-up, energy declines and health starts degenerating.
I know quite a few vegans than have been eating this way for 10 to 20 years and they have never had any problems with their health.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I may do that. I did tell my doctor I was doing it.

I eat a lot of nuts and seeds, legumes and soy. If and when I start to notice a change in my energy and overall health I will adjust my diet. I am not into being a strict anything so adding back to my diet wont be an issue for me.
If you're a female, be careful about the soy. Too much can cause problems. Been there, done that.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If you're a female, be careful about the soy. Too much can cause problems. Been there, done that.
I use it mainly in the form of edamame and very little tofu as I hate tofu unless it is really hidden. I do not use soy milk. It has though been a concern.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
My sister was a vegan. Don't go out for dinner or you will be anguishing over the menu for a half hour trying to figure out what she will be able to eat. Never again. Eat at home please..

Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
My sister was a vegan. Don't go out for dinner or you will be anguishing over the menu for a half hour trying to figure out what she will be able to eat. Never again. Eat at home please..
Fortunately I live in area that is very vegan friendly with some of the best chefs on the planet so eating out is not really an issue. We eat out at least once a week. That said, I may not be able to be 100% vegan, so a vegetarian dish will work fine as long as there is not a bunch of cheese or dairy on it.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,934 times
Quote:
I agree. And I would add - please don't expect to eat at my home. Otherwise you will likely be interrogating me (the cook) about what is in each item served. Is there milk in the rolls? Does that main dish have *meat* in it?

Honestly, if you follow a special diet, whether a vegan diet, a paleo diet, or whatever, please do your best to be a gracious guest. Don't demand/request special food. Don't make a big deal about your diet ("may I bring a dish that I can eat"). Otherwise, lets do our socializing in an environment where there is no food involved.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Quote:
Meh, it's only as difficult as a person chooses to make it. Even steakhouses and rib joints usually have a big salad and a baked potato or fries on the menu.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I agree. And I would add - please don't expect to eat at my home. Otherwise you will likely be interrogating me (the cook) about what is in each item served. Is there milk in the rolls? Does that main dish have *meat* in it?

Honestly, if you follow a special diet, whether a vegan diet, a paleo diet, or whatever, please do your best to be a gracious guest. Don't demand/request special food. Don't make a big deal about your diet ("may I bring a dish that I can eat"). Otherwise, lets do our socializing in an environment where there is no food involved.
Who are you preaching to?

Old 02-13-2017, 06:56 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I know quite a few vegans than have been eating this way for 10 to 20 years and they have never had any problems with their health.

Problems that they admit to, problems that they tell others about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss