Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,874 times

Advertisements

No, the doctors didn't tell me that.

that was my initiative to eat healthier.

the gut issue is lack of peristalsis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Oh my, what sort of gut issues? Did the doctors tell you it was from meat, fish and poultry??

Our family does not do well with dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
No, the doctors didn't tell me that.

that was my initiative to eat healthier.

the gut issue is lack of peristalsis.
So sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying your gut issues were from eating meat.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:23 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think initially, people go Vegan and feel great.

But then, for some, micronutrient deficiencies start showing-up, energy declines and health starts degenerating.
This means you were not eating a balanced vegan diet. What micro nutrients were you missing? All vegans need to take vegan form (no animals products) methycolbalamin (B-12) or eat certain foods such as nutritional yeast to get B-12.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
If you're a female, be careful about the soy. Too much can cause problems. Been there, done that.
The notion that soy is dangerous (breast cancer, increasing dangerous estrogen) has been not only disproven but guess what? It is now recognized that soy HELPS to prevent breast cancer!

The Startling Truth About Soy - UC Davis Integrative Medicine

My Interview with Marie Oser, Author of The Skinny on Soy | iEatGreen

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I agree. And I would add - please don't expect to eat at my home. Otherwise you will likely be interrogating me (the cook) about what is in each item served. Is there milk in the rolls? Does that main dish have *meat* in it?

Honestly, if you follow a special diet, whether a vegan diet, a paleo diet, or whatever, please do your best to be a gracious guest. Don't demand/request special food. Don't make a big deal about your diet ("may I bring a dish that I can eat"). Otherwise, lets do our socializing in an environment where there is no food involved.
No, I wouldn't even expect to eat in most homes.(Except family - and some of us are vegans now.) I am a vegan for the animals and let people know if they want me to come to dinner and tell them "You won't want to have me over for dinner because I am a strict vegan" and leave it to them. I don't want to interrogate anyone. I just tell them that I don't eat anything from an animal and let them decide if they really want to still cook for me. Before I became a vegan, a vegan friend politely declined saying "I am a very picky eater" and I knew that was a gentle reminder that she would not be willing to eat what I served since, yes, it had dairy or eggs or something. She was very gracious about it and I got the message and did not invite her. Now I can since I only make vegan meals.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is not even remotely hard to make vegan dishes. You might even make lots already. Pasta with marinara - cheese served at the table. Roasted veggies. Minestrone soup. Tacos - serve beans without lard, salsa and avocado. Salad with cheese served on the side.
Cheese served on the side for who? I am a vegan and would never put cheese out for anyone. Nope.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I *might* make vegan dishes. But I sure don't make an effort to do so. My point is: if you come to my house, be a polite guest and don't interrogate me about what is in the dish and if you "can" eat it. You are a vegan by choice. I am not a restaurant with menu items that you can choose/order to your specifications.
Any vegan I know will not want to come to your house for a meal and will flat out tell you that they don't eat animals or their excretions and so no need to cook for them - they won't be there! (But they will say it more politely than I have LOL.)

Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Cheese served on the side for who? I am a vegan and would never put cheese out for anyone. Nope.
Maybe you missed the original quote where a non-vegan said it is difficult to cook for vegans. These are examples of things that people may already make that are basically vegan.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Maybe you missed the original quote where a non-vegan said it is difficult to cook for vegans. These are examples of things that people may already make that are basically vegan.
I think she was trying to point out that vegans don't eat dairy, so cheese would not be acceptable. Vegans are the strictest vegetarians.

If someone is truly a vegan, they are probably following the guidelines below.

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as follows:
"A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, fungi, algae, yeast and/or some other non-animal-based foods (e.g. salt) with, or without, dairy products, honey and/or eggs. A vegetarian does not eat foods that consist of, or have been produced with the aid of products consisting of or created from, any part of the body of a living or dead animal. This includes meat, poultry, fish, shellfish*, insects, by-products of slaughter** or any food made with processing aids created from these."

There are different types of vegetarian:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs.

Ovo-vegetarian. Eats eggs but not dairy products.

Vegans do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
I think she was trying to point out that vegans don't eat dairy, so cheese would not be acceptable. Vegans are the strictest vegetarians.

If someone is truly a vegan, they are probably following the guidelines below.

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as follows:
"A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, fungi, algae, yeast and/or some other non-animal-based foods (e.g. salt) with, or without, dairy products, honey and/or eggs. A vegetarian does not eat foods that consist of, or have been produced with the aid of products consisting of or created from, any part of the body of a living or dead animal. This includes meat, poultry, fish, shellfish*, insects, by-products of slaughter** or any food made with processing aids created from these."

There are different types of vegetarian:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs.

Ovo-vegetarian. Eats eggs but not dairy products.

Vegans do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals.
Yes, but the point of ,y post was you can feed a vegan with your pasta and marinara if you leave the cheese on the side - so vegans can eat it cheese less and people who want cheese can add cheese. Cooking for vegans is not tricky with standard things you are already making with really small changes. I.e. Keep the cheese garnish on the side. Provide olive oil and butter for bread and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss