Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
??? Duh, five pounds of bacon has a gazillion calories. The reason people lose on atkins is because they are still consuming less calories. The food they eat is so filling and satiating they rarely eat over a certain amount of calories. In the induction phase they lose a lot of water and the body is converting to burning fat so they lose the most during that time.
Also a lot of people stall out on Atkins because they think they can keep eating all that fat and they fail to realize that they still need to burn more calories than they consume.
My understanding is that i should not gorge myself on anything, #1 eat only till satisfied, and #2 you wont have room for other nutritious food if you eat 5 pounds of bacon,, this does not give you license to gorge yourself with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not necessarily.

You'll lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. If you eat five pounds of bacon a day, which is following the Atkins diet, you will not lose weight.
If you read the books Dr. Atkins wrote you would know:

1. Bacon is allowed on Atkins but it isn't the entirety of the diet.
2. Processed meats are allowed on Atkins but should be limited.
3. Eat until satisfied, not as much as you can stuff into your body.
4. Although calorie counting is not required calories do matter

Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
OP, you can usually find something you can eat, even if you eat at someone else's house. You can refuse any fruit offered or dessert. If you feel pressure, just say your blood sugar test was high and you're supposed to watch your carbs.

So, you pick out the meat, eat the salad with creamy dressing. Don't eat the bread or pasta or rice. Once you learn it, you'll be able to do fine.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM

to those who know about Adkins 20 and Adkins 40, so on the last phase, do you really slowly add back the forbidden carbs, (only to see if they affect your weight gain/loss.

when I read that on the internet, it was like too good to be true.. so please let me know the truth about that.

is it true that after 3 months of keto/Adkins, that a person can eat maybe one fruit like a peach and it wont mess up your weight loss at that time. Please explain this because I don't want to mess up.

I think I can start eating back the forbidden food next year when I lose all my weight, is that right? (based on the rationale in last paragraph)

Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
to those who know about Adkins 20 and Adkins 40, so on the last phase, do you really slowly add back the forbidden carbs, (only to see if they affect your weight gain/loss.

when I read that on the internet, it was like too good to be true.. so please let me know the truth about that.

is it true that after 3 months of keto/Adkins, that a person can eat maybe one fruit like a peach and it wont mess up your weight loss at that time. Please explain this because I don't want to mess up.

I think I can start eating back the forbidden food next year when I lose all my weight, is that right? (based on the rationale in last paragraph)
The Atkins diet book is what you need. They are cheap and you get the correct information about the diet and why it works. And it gives you all the foods you can eat during different phases.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The Atkins diet book is what you need. They are cheap and you get the correct information about the diet and why it works. And it gives you all the foods you can eat during different phases.
Thank you - i can do that

Old 03-28-2017, 05:03 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Adkins diet has you go 2 weeks induction phase, it says no sugar, not even from fruit, so fruit is a no. the thing is, if you eat food with sugar (starchy veg, fruit, milk, pasta, wheat products, cereal, etc) your body will continue to burn sugar as fuel, not fat.

If you take the challenge, and do this, the weight comes off fast.
You mean water comes off fast. Protein requires more water to process than carbohydrate. This is why so many people lose 5 pounds fast on silly diets like Atkins and then claim they gained "5 pounds in one night" if they have a cupcake.

Depriving your body of carbohydrates, which your brain needs to think, is NEVER a good idea.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
You mean water comes off fast. Protein requires more water to process than carbohydrate. This is why so many people lose 5 pounds fast on silly diets like Atkins and then claim they gained "5 pounds in one night" if they have a cupcake.

Depriving your body of carbohydrates, which your brain needs to think, is NEVER a good idea.
It is good for those who are trying to lower their blood sugars and A1C number. Water seems to come off fast the first week, (could be even 8 pounds of water lost in that 1st week). That is the key - your comment about cupcakes - don't eat them. The sugar in the cupcake has now spiked your sugars and so that person has probably knocked them out of the ketosis value of this diet. we just cant go back to our old ways that made us fat. i cant explain someone's personal reason for gaining 5 pounds,, but this is a way of life for the long haul, not a quickie fix which wont last.

So far I'm down 23 pounds in 5 weeks. am losing 3-4 pounds a week avg. I think i shall stick with this.. its working. June 2017 i will go get my sugars checked and the rest of me to see how I am doing.

By the way, we get carbs from vegetables and other foods like yogurt. it is NOT a no carb diet.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
My daughter doesn't know about my diet and sent me a beautiful gift basket full of - chocolate! LOL. I gained back a pound. It's tearing me up the idea of giving away all of this gourmet chocolate. But, this just doesn't work for me if I blow the carbs.

The good news is there were some nuts in there, too...

Those kinds of foods, though, including nuts, are just really hard for me to just have a couple of them. Sigh.

It seems that I even really need to watch the cheese and cream, too. When you count them up, you find a lot of hidden carbs.

The guilt though, giving away my birthday present from my daughter!

Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My daughter doesn't know about my diet and sent me a beautiful gift basket full of - chocolate! LOL. I gained back a pound. It's tearing me up the idea of giving away all of this gourmet chocolate. But, this just doesn't work for me if I blow the carbs.

The good news is there were some nuts in there, too...

Those kinds of foods, though, including nuts, are just really hard for me to just have a couple of them. Sigh.

It seems that I even really need to watch the cheese and cream, too. When you count them up, you find a lot of hidden carbs.

The guilt though, giving away my birthday present from my daughter!
Cream doesn't have that many really. . A cup of heavy whipping cream only has around 7 grams of carbs. The bigger issue is the 800+ calories. Certainly on the 20 gram/day induction 7 grams of carbs is meaningful, but only because of completely arbitrary 20 gram carb limit. The 20 gram/day limit is so restrictive you basically should not eat anything that isn't a nutrient dense vegetable as it's already incredibly difficult to get proper nutrition eating 20 grams of carbs a day as is.

Once you're in the 50-100 gram/day phase of Atkins, you can certainly add a cup of heavy whipping cream to your diet, heck you could have two and be fine as far as Atkins is concerned. The 1600 calories a day will catch up pretty quick though and you'll be right back to induction phase in a hurry.

All that said, during the first phase of Atkins, dairy is permitted only in very limited quantities. No glasses of milk on Atkins phase 1. No nuts either. Put 'em down until after week two. Most nuts have more carbs than whipping cream though.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-31-2017 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss